Hidden Passage Trail

Hidden Passage Trail is a 13.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pall Mall, Tennessee that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Beautiful hike, but the trail needs some serious maintaince. The views from Thompson Overlook are staggering. I am looking forward to doing it again next year.

Hiked this trail this past weekend. Beautiful views, overlooks, out cropping and plants. The trail was a. It confusing at some points. When you start at the trail head you will come to a sign about a quarter a mile laters. There are 2 paths, hidden passages is the one on the left. About a quarter mile later you will come to the Hidden passages spilt and you will want to go right.
There were a number of down trees and in some places the path is non-existent, but hey that's all a part of hiking:) this was a beautiful trail and I would def hike it again

Hiked this weekend and camped at double falls Trail maintenance is non existent this is not what I expected from a wealthy state park system Trees down across trail looked as they have been there 10 yrs Saw briers all around.

One of my all time favorites.

Monday, September 12, 2016

Hidden Passage was one of the very best hikes in TN. It isn't any more due to poor trail maintenance. Three of us from TTA backpacked the trail this weekend. Going counter clockwise we experienced over an grown trail with enough thorn bushes to cut up the most experienced backpackers. For the novice hiker the trail could easily be lost due to the over grown brush. Double Falls is still a wonderful camping area. The trail to Double Falls is in excellent shape, we guessed because it is maintained by Big South Fork, not Picket State Park folks. After Thompson's Overlook the Picket folks got loose with a bulldozer and destroyed a significant part of the beautiful old trail. I have hiked Hidden Passage a half dozen times in the last 20 year and am very sad to see how it has declined. If Picket staff, for some reason, can't maintain the trail maybe TTA or another organization could help. Bull dozer work needs to be halted and damage needs to be corrected.

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

The trail was very isolated, we never came across another person. The trail was so overgrown in parts that you cannot pass without a machete. As a result we ended up on an unmarked trail that was not on the provided map. Speaking of the map, my boyfriend is an experienced hiker and he had difficulty reading it. We brought a backpack with food, water, a first aid kit, and a knife. next time we will certainly bring bug spray and a bear horn because we each pulled off about 8 ticks from us afterwards and came face to face with a bear (about 10-15 ft from us). The trail was not well maintained, many down trees. All in all, my boyfriend enjoyed it but I am a novice hiker and it was a little too much for me.

Monday, March 30, 2015

Hidden Passage Loop trail is great! It's located close to Jamestown and is a 10 mile loop. I'm not too sure how they come up with it being 8 miles. Lots of places to get water on the trail as well as awesome overlooks (on the middle to back half of the trail), water features like Double Falls and Angel Falls and mild to steep terrain at times. It's a great overall trail to hike half of it, camp out and finish the next day. Very peaceful and quiet. There's other trails that are on the loop but I've never explored them. Also this loop is part of the John Muir trail.

Friday, October 18, 2013

Great trail for a day hike. An abundance of features to marvel at; rock shelters, overhangs, great views and a side trail for a double waterfall. A few nice camping spots. A short section of the trail was quite overgrown but the majority of it was well worn and very easy to follow.

Thursday, August 29, 2013

moderate, views, waterfalls, campgrounds, campsites on trails, kid friendly but spray for ticks.rockhouses, bluffs, falls, great for fall colors.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Hidden Passage trail starts off in a lush, dense Tennessee Forest with plenty of tall trees, shade and an abundance of rhododendron. The trail is most distinctly dotted with huge rockhouses. The rockhouses provided a great cooling spot to stop and rest in during this humid, humid July day.

In 2008, a forest fire rolled through the area, destroying large swathes of the park. These areas along the trail are in full re-growth mode, but still very distinctive and become more prominent the further you continue on the loop (or at least to the half-way point thats as far as we got).

Wednesday, April 06, 2016