Hidden Lake Double Loop

easy 209 reviews

Hidden Lake Double Loop is a 1.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Nashville, Tennessee that features a lake. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.9 miles Elevation Gain: 160 feet Route Type: Loop

A quick double-balloon loop on the outskirts of Belleview, with a small lake as the payoff. Starts out in an open field, winds it's way into the woods along a creek. Once into the woods, take the left fork in the trail (there's a sign) to get where you can actually touch the water (most of the lake is surrounded by high limestone bluffs). After dipping your toes in, there's a quick steep scramble up to cliffs with excellent views of the water below. At the far end of the lake, almost exactly halfway through the hike, there is a bench that overlooks the whole thing--very nice. After that, the trail branches off--the far left will give you the most distance, but the right trail will go up a bit higher and has better scenery. You'll eventually get back to the trail junction and retrace your original steps back to the open field. The 'bluebird loop' is just a different walk around the same field, but gets you back to the parking area.

Nice little 2 mile trail west of Nashville. On the easy side, but gets a bit technical going up the narrow trails around the edge of the lake. There are several bluffs overlooking the lake as well. Follow the signs to Hidden Lake, where you will walk up to the lake at the lower part of the basin. After hanging for a minute, you will circle around to continue on the trail. Be very careful, especially with dogs, as there are some large slabs of slanted rock that a dog will try to cross and could easily slip and fall down the side of the cliff. Navigate around behind them, and continue up around the top of the lake. Not overly challenging, but definitely narrow and a little daunting if you happen to be afraid of heights.

Nice little hike just outside of Nashville. Get there early if you want to listen to the natural world. It gets busy early.

Very cool little hike with a couple of lakes and a ridgeline walk

I was traveling and stopped to stretch my legs. It was a very surprising trail with beautiful and quickly changing scenery. It was very wet and slippery on the steep slopes and I was happy that I didn't have to descend in the areas that were so slippery. I loved the rocky areas around the hidden lake. It was quite crowded but I was still able to enjoy the solitude of the trail in most places. I marked this one as a favorite.

Easy trail with wildlife

Beautiful stop off between Nashville and memphis! Super humid and buggy when I went but the view of the lake is gorgeous

Nice getaway close to town

Fun ,easy trail with a couple marrow, steep sections.

Spent about 2 hours with our 5 year old exploring around Hidden Lake and climbing up and down little off shoot trails for scenic views. Was a little muddy in places, but nothing that wasn’t pretty easily avoidable. Very enjoyable for a half-of-the-day trip from Brentwood. Worst part is construction/traffic on 440W to get up there.

This was an absolutely beautiful trail! There were so many spots to stop and look out at the Harpeth. Loved it.

My two boys, ages 6 and 8 and I did this trail for the first time today. It was an excellent length and difficulty level for them. They loved going down to the water in a couple different spots and skipping a few rocks. Along the top of the ridge, we were pleasantly surprised by a big gorgeous hillside of blooming buttercups! Keep small children close as there are several steep spots not far off the trail.

Fri Feb 15 2019

Got the hike in right before the rain started. On a sunny day there will be a spectacular view when you reach the top. Not as well marked as I would have liked but did have my phone so we didn't get lost. I don't think the park wants hikers to go all the way around the lake as the trail closest to the river did get a bit steep.

Wed Jan 09 2019

My son and I went on the Hidden Lake Trail after his school day for the first time. it was an adventure for us! we loved finding all these off-trail paths. it was so beautiful as the sun set. Nature is a love of ours, and this trail was lovely.

Wed Jan 09 2019

I loved it. Definitely one my favorite spots.

Mon Oct 22 2018

Enjoyable stroll. Hidden Lake was beautiful as the sun was setting and the leaves are about to change.

Wed Oct 17 2018

Nice beginner hike, took my dog with me, very wide trail. Beautiful views of the hidden lake. Would recommend to any beginner, also very well marked trail

Sun Oct 07 2018

For a new hiker like me, this trail was moderately difficult with rich rewards in scenery. If the quarry wasn't pretty enough, the higher elevated views of the lake are even better. My favorite part of this hike was scrambling over the beautiful rock formations. The remnants of buildings left over from the old resort from the 1920s hints at the history of the area. The Bluebird Loop at the beginning and end of this loop have plenty of butterflies and wildflowers that are fragrant on a warm day. This hike is a lovely way to pass an hour.

Sun Aug 05 2018

This trail was awesome. Short and sweet, has cool rock formations and a cool little history behind the lake. This honestly felt like moderate difficulty to me, though. The trails aren’t super well marked but it’s still not that difficult to get around.

Fri Jun 22 2018

I wouldn’t really call it hiking. It’s more of a walk through fields, with a lake. Paths aren’t properly marked and there’s very little visibility (lack of elevation). Also, during the summer the paths have grass that’s tall enough to conceal the snakes, which there are. Better off going to Edwin warner