Hickory Ridge Outer Trail

Hickory Ridge Outer Trail is a 2.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Chapel Hill, Tennessee that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hickory Ridge trail outer loop showcases some of the park's most diverse ecosystems, sink holes and cedar glades. Both are places of amazing diversity and contain plants and animals that are not found in any other type of landscape. This trail also connects to Adeline Wilhoite River Trail via a half mile connector trail.

Great for a day hike, alone.

did the outer loop and had a great hike. did pick up several seed ticks and hit every spider web lol but other than that it was a great hike. wish I saw some of the local wildlife besides the spiders but oh well maybe another time.

Well, I planned to hike the Hickory Ridge Outer Trail but, along the way I discovered the River Trail. Not knowing where it lead, I took it.

Great trail. My four and 11 year old did good on this trail. I felt like it was longer than 2.7 miles. We hiked both loops and it took us exactly 2 hours.

Decent little trail. Super muddy when I went. I saw no one on the trail. More like 2.5 miles.

Tuesday, March 07, 2017

Walked/hiked it this past Sunday morning. At 9am the trails were empty, had the woods to myself. Pay attention to hazards if you are wearing walking shoes you may get a poke through your sole. The Duck was flowing well, golfers could be heard yelling expletives on the course opposite Wilhoite/River trails. The Wetlands trail was mostly dry and newly cut but of little interest other than peeper frogs. It was disturbing seeing private property owner's deer stands just on the other side of the park property fence. Made me a little leery. All in all, a good time of day, lots of privacy, could imagine this being overrun by dogs, kids and trail bikes even though they are prohibited (bikes, I mean.) Dense forest--wasn't at all disturbed by traffic noise other than the occasional train.

Thursday, February 09, 2017

Nice trail with some good wildflowers in spring.

Sunday, December 04, 2016

Fun trail. Runners, beware; Stumblestiltkin Trail is what I'd call it! HA! Pay attention to footing. Rock tips & protruding root structures litter certain portions, just pay attention. Hikers be sure to check out the limestone beds & rock crevices, sort of cave like structures. We ran this on 12/3/16 w chilly 47 degree temps w drizzle, still fun trek through the woods. Saw 4 deer twice on this loop, we circled them around after spooning them the 1st sighting. This trail reminded me of the 5 mile Hidden Springs loop at Cedars of Lebanon. Only complaint is sound of road traffic on occasion. Still, great trek through some dense forest.

Tuesday, November 01, 2016

Decent amount of miles for a little exercise if you combine the outer loop and the river trail , not much to see tho really .

Thursday, October 27, 2016

Pretty trail, a little busier than some others but not by much. Multiple options for trails. I took the first trail, the outer loop and then the river trail but never found my way closer to the water. There's a cool overlook spot with stairs leading up to a deck but unfortunately you can't see much of interest up there (at least in mid October, could be completely different earlier in the year). I'll be visiting again in the Spring for a fair trial. :)

Friday, October 21, 2016

Great trail. Well marked. Deep, rock sink holes were awesome! A must do if you are in the area. The staff at Henry Horton State Park were friendly and efficient.

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

by the river and through the woods, this hike is mild yet beautiful. I always see deer.

Thursday, October 13, 2016

The trails entwined so it was hard to have a clear idea of how far you actually went and where exactly you were. The trails are color coated, We had the provided trail map but were confused. All the trails loop though so we walked until we were tired and then jumped back on the color trail that took us back to our car. We had a blast and will do it again... very easy walk.

Monday, May 09, 2016

Great amount of wildflowers. Love the sinkholes.

Saturday, April 16, 2016

Great hike. Nice and easy with some great scenery.

Saturday, April 09, 2016

You walk past some cool sink holes on this flat and well-marked trail. It was really pretty in the early spring.

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Easy trail lots of cool things to see.

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Easy with the dogs

Saturday, September 19, 2015

Great campground and hiking. Fun and educational programs for kids, including hay rides and animal shows. Very friendly staff.

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Easy, pretty

Thursday, June 18, 2015

I loved this hike today! ! it was so extremely hot and sunny out and I did not feel the heat like I could have.. the is hike is mainly under trees and so incredibly peaceful. I would love this on hot summer days and when the foliage changes colors in autumn. Super easy trails and I saw many turtles, birds, squirrels and a couple of rabbits.

Friday, December 27, 2013

I did the Hickory Ridge Trail! It was incredibly short and flat. Most definitely could have been a beginners hike:) Took maybe 30 minutes or so..!

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

I hiked the Wilhoite Mill Loop trail in October. The trail is easily accessible behind primitive campsite #10, turning right and following the trail along the river. The trail will then loop around through the woods. Lots of walnut trees, pines and other foliage. We saw a white tail deer and squirrels. The trail is an easy 4 mile loop starting at this location.