Haw Ridge Lake Trail

Haw Ridge Lake Trail is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Burchfield Heights, Tennessee that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Lots of good trail options.

Good walk that’s close to home. Not too much to see.

Sea ticks everywhere and no amount of bug repellent helps. You will be covered. I rode home in underwear after stripping my kids. I'm not sure if all the ticks are worth a decent hike.

These are great trails, but a lot of them are only for fairly experienced mountain bikers. (Hikers etc. can do any of them)These trails are extremely technical due to a lot of roots and rocks. There are also some small drops. The trails are a lot of fun and I highly recommend them.

great

off road driving
Saturday, March 11, 2017

why is this marked with off road driving?

Tuesday, March 07, 2017

My dog Xander and I hiked 8.9 miles. Beautiful & steep at times. We loved it!

off road driving
Friday, March 03, 2017

off road driving is not permitted at Haw Ridge...

Monday, January 23, 2017

Beautiful views when you're walking by the water (Lake Trail). The water was a gorgeous blue green. Lovely in winter

Friday, October 28, 2016

Awesome trails!!!

Friday, October 21, 2016

If you're looking for an extreme hike, take the power line trail. big hike up, big hike down

Monday, September 19, 2016

watch out for the mosquitoes

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Good trails! Variety of difficulty ranging from easy to hard. I covered about 7 miles and didn't get to all of the trails. It would be a lot of fun on a bike so I'll have to try that next time.

Friday, September 09, 2016

it's great better markings would be nice but all around it's great the vibe with nature is one of a kind

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Great time! Trails are clear and challenging! Hiked 8 miles with our kids and they loved it.

Sunday, June 19, 2016

I grew up in Oak Ridge, so have ridden, hiked, kayaked, camped this area most of my life.
Recently moved back, after ten years in Atlanta/LA/New York, shooting film/video for documentaries and film. Almost forgot how much I enjoyed this area. I now live in Kingston area, on Watts Bar Lake (I'm a river rat) but have been riding Haw again, often for three hours, after I have dropped my Mom off at Sunday school.
The loop is great, and scenic. But you Mtn bikers especially, should consider exploring the primitive trails off the loop. You won't be disappointed!
Ride safe, ride happy. I may see you there!

Thursday, June 02, 2016

very calm fun trail

Thursday, May 26, 2016

You wouldn't expect trails like this to be so close to both Oak Ridge and Knoxville. I would definitely not rate these trails as "Hard" although there are some very steep (albeit short) climbs. There are a ton of great trails in the park other than this loop, but this one offers the best views in my opinion. Along the south edge (I forget exactly where) there are a couple picnic tables that make for an awesome lunch stop. If you go during the summer, make sure to bring some bug spray as certain sections can be pretty bad.

Monday, May 02, 2016

This was very lovely hike. We only spent about an hour and ten minutes out there due to time constraints. But it was quite beautiful. Lots of different trails to take, make it as easy or as hard as you like. My only complaint was the sound from the highway near by.

Saturday, April 16, 2016

Great set of trails of varying difficulty and varied terrain. It's all here: steep rocky inclines, winding little paths flanked by wildflowers, views of lakes and mountains, bubbling brooks, lake-shore walks. Frequented by mountain bikers, but not overrun. Only downside is the highway noise from Rt 170 at start and finish. Once you get over or around the mountain, deeper into the park, its beautiful.

Saturday, April 16, 2016

I got a tick.

Sunday, February 21, 2016

This is my go-to place to cardio hike. Love it!

Friday, December 11, 2015

Good

Sunday, August 30, 2015

Great hike for tree and plant diversity! The trail runs through small wetlands, powerline right of ways, along the lake, and through some upland woods. Not much elevation change so you can really cruise on foot on this trail. Lots of ruts, roots and rocks to cause some pain to the feet if you don't have the right boots (I recommend over-the-ankle boots for stability). Mostly used by bikers but not what I would call busy on an 85 degree, sunny, beautiful Saturday in August (I'd say 15 people during the entire ~7 mile loop). A good bit of trash in the middle section of the trail along the water. Boats, cars, and train noise during most of the hike :( Would have loved more peace and quiet and less trash. Grab a trail map, lots of broken and missing signs. I really enjoyed the plant life, granting it a 4 star hike.

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Had a great time it was e everything I could have asked for I'm just a beginner trails were dry no trees down some step hills but peadled all but one it was Low gap will go back and do rest of them.

Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Pretty intense trails, the trails in the center of the park were to steep to ride and there's a ton of rocks and roots but if you stay on the outside trails of the park it's really fun

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Haw Ridge is much more than the 6.7 miles listed on this website. There is a "Friends of Haw Ridge" webpage that gives more detailed information along w/ trail maps. Also, if you're in the Knoxville area there is a Facebook Group called Knoxville Cycling that posts trail information almost daily for area trails in relation to mountain biking. You can find everything from mild to wild in terms of mountain biking. This area used to be used by motocross & 4 wheelers so the trail layout isnt as good as some newer trail systems in terms of drainage and flow. That being said it has a more technical feel to it that some people enjoy. The trails that follow the waters edge & perimeter are a little easier in terms of cardio, and the technical aspects of riding arent too difficult. Beginners may need to walk some sections.

Monday, March 24, 2014

hiked it for first time its a very beautiful place im going back for sure

Monday, February 24, 2014

Love this place!! I use to live 15 mins from here and would be out there at least once a week hiking or taking the dogs for a nice swim. I soo miss it :(

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Great place to ride. The loop is the place you want to be if you don't want to ascend all day.