Grotto Falls Trail

Grotto Falls Trail is a 2.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Twin Creeks, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Horses are also able to use this trail.

An easy to moderate hike that is popular with families. The highlight is Grotto Falls, under which the trail continues. Accessed via the Trillium Gap Trailhead, this is a cool, well-shaded hike with gentle elevation gains. The only "difficulties are numerous rocks and roots that just require you to watch your step. There is llama scat on the trail, but it is neither as plentiful or as noxious as some people would have you believe.

Fun trail. Not too hard at all.

First timer for the trail. Felt it to be more moderate than easy hike. There are lots of roots and rocks on the trail and damp areas are slippery. Tremendous vistas through the trees to the valley.

Awesome short hike on the easy side. There's a couple creek crossings and some rocks to walk over at the top but nothing too difficult.

I would agree that it's more of a moderate hike in areas. Lots of rocks and roots but the roots actually help with traction going up.

We got there about 1:00 and the parking lots we're full as well as every little pull-off spot where you could park at least half a car so be careful driving in as a lot of folks leave their vehicle sticking out in the road. We ended up pulling off the road a good bit past the trailhead, maybe 1/3 mile or so.

There are several smaller falls enroute to the main falls and are some good places to take a break. There are some pretty steep drop offs so watch for that, a guy was in a hurry behind us and slipped and almost went over the side.. We slipped several times but no falls so I would caution some folks about carrying their babies up this trail.
All in all it was a great hike, it took an hour to get to the falls with some stops. You actually do walk behind the falls which was pretty cool.
We also went about 1/2 mike past the falls just to see what was there.
The roaring fork motor trail to the trailhead was a great drive with some great views and was worth going just for that! Enjoy the hike, we certainly did!

Waterfall is cool! The trail getting up there is Rocky and up the mountain. I wouldn't rate it easy, more like moderate. Definitely worth the hike. Many stops along the way to let you rest.

Loved this trail, it is uphill so it is a little taxing for inexperienced hikers, but there are lots of places to stop and catch your breath and enjoy the views!

It’s a very easy short hike, perfect for kids to hang hike.

This trail was awesome! The things some might not like about the trail, I loved. The roots are a unique and the llama mess isn’t bad at all. The area around the falls is a great place to relax and enjoy nature. I am glad I made this hike.

get there early to get good parking!

Grotto falls was one of our favorite stops in the smokies, the trail was easy with a constant gradient on the way to the falls and a nice downslope on the way out. The falls themselves were the most aesthetic that we visited, despite them not having the sheer strength of the larger falls.
The temperature drops off significantly once you get into the clearing where the falls are. Definitely recommend visiting them.

Good hike but heavily traveled

Today was a great day on the trail. Shady and breezy. Very nice

I would say the roots and rocks on this trail would make this a more moderate trail instead of easy. Wear good shoes and watch your step.

First family hike with a 3 year old, was well worth the climb for the pictures and snack break at the fall. Would do again next time we’re visiting tenn.

MY first hike in any mountains (I live in south Florida) and it was a great starter trail! I did it with my wife and 1 year old son and we weren't to worn out at the end after carrying the whole way. Lots of roots and rocks to make it an interesting hike, once you get up to the falls the rocks are slippery so watch your step! 10 out of 10 recommend.

Nice hike through shaded woods to the waterfall. Like other reviews mention, the path is rocky and root strewn in places but nothing you need to scramble over until you get to the falls. Parking at trailhead was very limited.

Great trail! But it is very rocky in some parts and would caution to have small children in it that can't be carried. We went on a non rainy day but I can see the rocks being very slippery on wetter days.

Nice walk. Lots of tree roots. Got some good pictures of the falls and got some pics from behind the falls too. Would do again

Beautiful trail. The falls were nice. I recommend a must see.

Lots of tree roots on the trail, so watch your step. The waterfall was cool, I liked that you could walk behind it.