Greeter Falls Loop / Greeter Trail

Greeter Falls Loop / Greeter Trail is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Altamont, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

It has a whimsical winding staircase going down to the falls. Great waterfalls. The base can be seen from the top and bottom. At the top, a boulder can be climbed to see another mini waterfall. i want to go back. it was fun.

The trail is well marked, the park itself is well kept. My dog was terrified of the staircase going down so I carried him. Haha. But once we were at the bottom we enjoyed swimming and the peaceful atmosphere.

I did this trail on July 7th. the falls, all three, were the best part of this moderate trail. Greeters Falls was getting busy when I was there but the water was so refreshing. I blazed my own trail for the third falls by hiking up the rocky river bed past the fork.
it was more strenuous and had a better view of the gorge.
The trail went out to the rim and had some panoramic views. If you stay on it, it will hook up with a couple other Savage Gulf trails.
Though this wasn't a particularly hard trail, it just kept giving more spectacular features. I made it into a 5.5 miles and 1150 feet elevation hike. Now that's a good workout.

Loved it! I feel like Lower Greeter is the most photographed, but Upper Greeter was really beautiful too, as well as Boardtree Falls. Definitely wear actual shoes on the hike and wear your swimsuit!

It is an ok spot. The trail is super short, and the fall itself was kinda cool. Def a better place for people aren’t serious hikers or who have kids. If you want to be wowed, don’t go here.

There is an amazing swimming hole both at the top of the falls and the bottom. It is super short and beautiful. I suggest going to the top first and then the bottom.

My favourite by far hidden paradise with a spectacular waterfall and swimming pool hole

We took our 4 kids on this hike today. (Ages 8,5,3 and 3months) It was a splendid little hike for our clan and we played at the Upper Greeter Falls for most of the day. We even hiked up above the Upper Falls to another 6 foot waterfall that had a huge area for the kids (and us) to play. This is my favorite family hike we’ve done to date.

We will definitely be coming back to this one and next time we’ll try for the Blue Hole.

Cautions: there are very steep drop offs along the trail and there were places that were slippery. We went fairly slow just to be cautious and helped the 3 year old in a couple of spots when it got tough.

We heeded the advice of others and didn’t try the steep decent to the lower Falls with the wee ones with us, but we saw several families down there too so just use best judgement.

Beautiful views. Kinda slick if wet.

This trail was gorgeous! It’s a bit strenuous but short enough. Makes you feel as if you did a good workout but not too long. There are some slippery parts when going down to the falls where it’s all mud over the steps.

beautiful, well maintained trails

Definitely will be going back to this trail in the cooler months when there’s not as much foliage so we can take in all the beautiful waterfalls and views even more! There’s 4- that’s right, 4!?!- waterfalls and views galore. Plenty of coverage as it rained the entire hike and it was still magic. Saw a rat snake, but he didn’t give 2 hoots about us! Highly recommend this beautiful trail! Full review and more pics coming to our blog soon at www.Wander-Full-Life.com

We took our 4 children ages 8, 5, 4, and 2 on the Greeter Trail to the upper and lower falls. The 2 year old was in a child carrier. Round trip, our Apple Watches logged 1.75 miles (including all extra steps taken during swimming).

The trail—before it splits off to upper and lower—is fairly child friendly, but there are a few spots where a cliff is exposed. The upper falls were great for wading- swimsuits and life jackets for the kids are recommended. The water is cold but y’all already knew that ;). The lower falls are reached via a spiral staircase, a slippery wooden ladder/stairs, and a precarious field of boulders. We helped our kids through these obstacles and were rewarded with a spectacular view of the lower falls. We opted not to swim in the lower falls pool as it seemed harder to approach with kids and we were satisfied with our earlier swim. The water looked deeper in the lower falls pools and a group of teenagers were happily enjoying it.

If you have young kids I would plan to visit the upper falls for sure. And if you want to see the spectacular lower falls just know that you will be helping your kids quite a bit but it’s not impossible.

All told a really fun hike for the family! We will come back and visit Blue Hole next time.

Beautiful trail, challenging enough for a good hike and amazing views to take pictures.

one of my favorite spots yet! my wife and i walked down the river a ways and found a awesome spot for hammocks and a great rest! going back to your car is going to a little bit of a climb but very worth it!

This trail was one of my favorites so far! It’s defiantly difficult but very rewarding. Bring a lunch and a change of clothes so you can picnic by the falls and swim! We’ll be back!

Absolutely beautiful area. Trail has a lot of heights that are a little scary. Moderately easy. Quite a bit of climbing. Would highly recommend.

Beautiful area! A lot of waterfalls to see!

Great hikes on well maintained trails; phenomenal view of the waterfalls.Cant wait to return!

This is a steep decent down to beautiful waterfalls. Also continued on to Boardwalk Falls. Loved the trail and Falls. Neat metal staircase you descend beside bluff. Rocky, rooty, a Little muddy. Much fun!!

Great hike with several types of viewable waterfalls and cascades.

Love this trail. It has become more popular lately and can be a bit crowded at times. Great for swimming!

Breathtaking views and great hiking! Love this park.

Greeter falls was great. We hiked it with our 9 year old daughter and she loved it. It was slick in some parts with mud as we walked after a decent amount of rain. There is a narrow metal spiral staircase that can get wet with rain but it added to the adventure for our daughter. Loved this falls

One of my favorite places.

Great trail, clean, with beautiful falls. The blue hole is nice and past Greeter there is another falls cal led Boardtree that is beautiful as well.

Really loved this one. The falls were beautiful, and the trails too. Lots of cool rock cliffs and old trees. I want to come back and spend more time on these trails!

Late January. Had a great experience hiking this trail - 32 years old, average athleticism and poor conditioning, with very little hiking experience. We did the Blue Hole trail first which leads to what seems like a great swimming area if the waters were a little warmer. Greeter Falls trail starts out wide with a forgiving grade and then gradually becomes the very opposite. Some challenging paths pocked with heavy roots, loose stones, and thin paths on descent were made even more challenging by the ever-increasing downhill grade, mud, and, in some places, icy conditions. The overlooks on the way down were incredible with some interesting cave-like formations as you near the base - some sections may not be for the weary of heights. The final descent is a two- to three-story spiral staircase that was icy at the top, followed by a steel grated two-story staircase that was iced over on 3 consecutive steps. After a mindful 30 minutes of walking, we were rewarded with boulder stacks, a pounding waterfall, and large pools of crystal clear waters. Did not see any kind of picnic area near the falls though we did not venture far from the base due to the cold waters.

Greeter Falls is beautiful. There is a very narrow metal spiral staircase to get down. There is a short walk up to the upper falls that is worth seeing. Board tree falls is definitely harder to get down to but also worth it. Both falls were full flow when I hiked. I recommend poles for this hike. This was my first hike and I quickly realized how handy trekking poles are.

Great trail, amazing waterfall, fun swimming