Greeter Falls Loop and Greeter Trail

Greeter Falls Loop and Greeter Trail is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Altamont, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

great trail.

The drive up was beautiful!! Be careful when you pull in because of a lot of potholes at the beginning of the road. At the end, there is a decent size parking lot with picnic tables, but no bathrooms. I did the hike with my 7 year old son and 9 year old niece and they loved every minute of it. We saw two waterfalls and everything about the hike was beautiful! We saw people with dogs, elderly, children! In some areas, the hike can get challenging since there are rocks and stuff to climb over. I highly recommend this trail, you will not be disappointed. The waterfall, the aqua water, words can’t express just how beautiful it is!!

rainy,muddy, slippery and fun. loved it. we did it in February. so fun

One of the best waterfall hikes in the area. Make sure you hike down to all three waterfalls along the loop. It was very wet yesterday and the waterfalls were ginormous. Very beautiful and worth it!

We were planning to go from Greeter Falls to Ranger Falls but stopped at the sink because of so much water in the bottom we knew we could not get to Ranger Falls. Amazing to see this much water in places that normally have little or no water. This is a beautiful trail but very rocky in places so requires concentration on walking.
Had lots of extra water on trail today

Beautiful trail with great scenery! Definitely felt the hike in my thighs the following day.

This was my first time here and it was a nice little trail! We really enjoyed it! It rained so the trail had water flowing down towards waterfall and it was frozen on the steps. That was the only spot that was slippery. The over look was beautiful!

So beautiful! It rained the whole time! Totally worth it! High 40s in temp great trails! Watch the little ones there are steep parts walking toward the falls! Wear shoes with good traction! Bring your camera (if not raining) and a lunch!

Spectacular scenery today! All the recent rains have made the waterfalls amazing. Trails are muddy and slippery but that is to be expected. I agree with the moderate rating. Lots of rocks and roots but the trail is well marked. Lower Greeter Falls with the spiral staircase and Blue Hole are not to be missed!

Omg!!!!!!!

Greeter Falls is worth the effort. The trail is a bit rough in spots (rocks, roots, etc.) and the staircase down to lower Greeter Falls was a little daunting. Nice trail with a good amount of people enjoying it. Highly recommend.

Did this trail Oct 28. I actually added going into the Big Creek Gulf then to Stone Door then took the Big Creek Rim trail back. 12.5 miles. 2500 feet. If you do this hike don't pass up ranger falls. Very worth the trek and a beautiful falls. Be ready though this complete trail plan isn't moderate it's hard and trying. But very rewarding. Leaves haven't completely changed yet but the Rim trail is going to be one of the best views for foliage. Good luck.

Did this trail today and took our 18 pound older Boston Terrier. He did fine but was pretty tired at the end. We did the lower and upper Falls and BlueHole trails. Falls were great and very photogenic. No restroom at the trailhead. Would love to visit again. Easy day hike.

This trail is a great mix of easy with some technical sections thrown in if you take the Big Creek Gulf Trail. I had my small Cavalier King Charles Spaniel with me, and although he was tired at the end, he was able to navigate the trails with no problem. Great for day hiking!

Just amazing

I have only lived in Tennessee for less than two weeks. This was my first real hike since arriving. I loved this trail. It’s a great trail for an agile dog. There are a lot of really narrow and rocky parts to the trail as well as a spiral staircase (which my dog would not go down) to Greeter Falls and another area that had a suspension bridge. There are lots of beautiful trees and a couple of spots that take your breath away with awesome scenery. A few different falls along the way. The trails are well marked and easy to follow. Very light traffic if you go first thing in the morning on a Saturday. I left after completing about 4 miles at 10am and the parking lot was about half full. I will come back in a few weeks when the leaves begin to change color for another beautiful hike. Highly recommend this trail.

I didn’t get to do the entire loop due to rain (and didn’t have my rain coat), but I definitely would go back to if I was in the area again. This waterfall is prettier than Foster Falls, in my opinion. The hike that I did go on was pretty. There were only 3 other cars in the parking lot early afternoon last Sunday which was great. A few people were swimming and that looked like a great idea.

I hiked this trail after coming in on Big Creek Rim and setting up camp at Alum Gap. It was harder than I expected, mostly due to the 4 miles already hiked, and I'm pretty new to backpacking.

With that said, it was gorgeous. The falls were great, and I swam in the cold pool at the base of Greeter Falls.

I'm glad I didn't bring my old dog on this one, because she would have struggled with the elevation change.

I can't wait to go back!

It has a whimsical winding staircase going down to the falls. Great waterfalls. The base can be seen from the top and bottom. At the top, a boulder can be climbed to see another mini waterfall. i want to go back. it was fun.

The trail is well marked, the park itself is well kept. My dog was terrified of the staircase going down so I carried him. Haha. But once we were at the bottom we enjoyed swimming and the peaceful atmosphere.

I did this trail on July 7th. the falls, all three, were the best part of this moderate trail. Greeters Falls was getting busy when I was there but the water was so refreshing. I blazed my own trail for the third falls by hiking up the rocky river bed past the fork.
it was more strenuous and had a better view of the gorge.
The trail went out to the rim and had some panoramic views. If you stay on it, it will hook up with a couple other Savage Gulf trails.
Though this wasn't a particularly hard trail, it just kept giving more spectacular features. I made it into a 5.5 miles and 1150 feet elevation hike. Now that's a good workout.

Loved it! I feel like Lower Greeter is the most photographed, but Upper Greeter was really beautiful too, as well as Boardtree Falls. Definitely wear actual shoes on the hike and wear your swimsuit!

It is an ok spot. The trail is super short, and the fall itself was kinda cool. Def a better place for people aren’t serious hikers or who have kids. If you want to be wowed, don’t go here.

There is an amazing swimming hole both at the top of the falls and the bottom. It is super short and beautiful. I suggest going to the top first and then the bottom.

My favourite by far hidden paradise with a spectacular waterfall and swimming pool hole

We took our 4 kids on this hike today. (Ages 8,5,3 and 3months) It was a splendid little hike for our clan and we played at the Upper Greeter Falls for most of the day. We even hiked up above the Upper Falls to another 6 foot waterfall that had a huge area for the kids (and us) to play. This is my favorite family hike we’ve done to date.

We will definitely be coming back to this one and next time we’ll try for the Blue Hole.

Cautions: there are very steep drop offs along the trail and there were places that were slippery. We went fairly slow just to be cautious and helped the 3 year old in a couple of spots when it got tough.

We heeded the advice of others and didn’t try the steep decent to the lower Falls with the wee ones with us, but we saw several families down there too so just use best judgement.

Beautiful views. Kinda slick if wet.

This trail was gorgeous! It’s a bit strenuous but short enough. Makes you feel as if you did a good workout but not too long. There are some slippery parts when going down to the falls where it’s all mud over the steps.

beautiful, well maintained trails

Definitely will be going back to this trail in the cooler months when there’s not as much foliage so we can take in all the beautiful waterfalls and views even more! There’s 4- that’s right, 4!?!- waterfalls and views galore. Plenty of coverage as it rained the entire hike and it was still magic. Saw a rat snake, but he didn’t give 2 hoots about us! Highly recommend this beautiful trail! Full review and more pics coming to our blog soon at www.Wander-Full-Life.com