Learn more

Gentry Creek Falls is a 4.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Laurel Bloomery, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 4.5 mi Elevation gain 613 ft Route type Out & Back
Dogs on leash Kid friendly Camping Fishing Hiking Bird watching Forest River Views Waterfall Wild flowers Wildlife Bridge out Rocky
Description
Waypoints (0)
Contact
Tips
Getting There

Cherokee National Forest, Unaka Ranger District, 4900 Asheville Hey., Greeneville, TN 37743, (423)638-4109, www.fs.usda.gov/cherokee

Bring a snack, swimming trunks, and shoes you don't mind getting wet. I blazed it with Choacos making stream crossing simple because I didn't mind getting my feet wet. A friend wore his waterproof boots but still had to watch for the deeper spots when crossing.

From Mountain City, take US 421 towards US 91. Follow 91 for roughly 6.6 miles into Laurel Bloomery, TN. You should see a Cherokee National Forest sign (brown sign) around the left side of the highway that points to Gentry Creek Road. The Laurel Bloomery Fire Department sits right beside of this road. Follow the road until it splits. There should be a sign nailed to a post telling you to turn right to head towards Gentry Creek Falls. Keeping following the road, it'll turn into a gravel road where you will drive passed the parking lot for Rogers Ridge Horse Trail. The next lot is where you park to follow the trail to the falls.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (144)
Photos (188)
Recordings (89)
Completed (224)
Natalie Panther
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 15, 2020
View Natalie's Recording
Jeff Leftwich
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 13, 2020
View Jeff's Recording
Jeff Leftwich
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 12, 2020
View Jeff's Recording
Sandra Coward
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 5, 2020
HikingRocky

Labor Day weekend 2020. Thankful for my walking stick, Chacos and long sleeved tee shirt I decided to wear. Hiked Sat morning after a cold front moved through. This entire trail is in the trees so 55 degrees was a bit chilly. Outside of the 16 water crossings (one way) and the rocky, root riddled ground, this is an easy 4 mile out and back trail with a beautiful payoff. The water was flowing nicely so the falls were beautiful. This trailhead is easy to find and the trail is clearly marked with blue blazes/blue reflective triangles. We arrived at the trailhead at 0740 and arrived back at our vehicle at 1150. We didn’t see a soul until we were more than halfway back out. Was so nice to have the falls all to ourselves. Highly recommend!

Crystal Willett
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 17, 2020
HikingGreat!MuddyRockyScramble

I didn't give it one star and it won't let me edit that. My track is below. This is so far out of 270 trails I've done, my favorite. I conquered my fear was water crossing and was a 'pro' by the time I came back down. 32 crossings! Thank you to someone for mentioning NOT to turn left on Pete something Rd. Go straight. You saved me from getting lost. Go until the gravel road ends. About room for 5-6 vehicles up there. Bring dry shoes, you will get wet and don't stop on the trail until you find yourself standing at the bottom of the falls. The trail does go to the bottom of the falls. I LOVED this hike! It is very rocky, wear supportive shoes and what ever you do, don't forget your trekking poles/walking stick!

Emily Franklin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 16, 2020
Hiking

Absolutely amazing hike. The upper falls are just as beautiful as the lower falls. Even though we just had rain, the water was never higher than my lower shins.

View Emily's Recording
Crystal Willett
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 16, 2020
View Crystal's Recording
Ivy Lasley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 11, 2020
HikingBugsMuddy
Wayne Davis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 8, 2020
HikingBugsGreat!

Gentry Creek Falls Trail The perfect quick weekend hike can’t be too far away, too long, or too familiar. Being perfect may be a function of the group you hike with as much as the hike itself. In any case Gentry Creek Falls Trail was outstanding on all criteria. The community of Laurel Bloomery was an easy drive and the road to the trail was easy to find. There was a fork in the road at the start of Forest Road 122 with an official looking sign pointing to the left. There was a much friendlier sign to Gentry Falls pointing to the right fork. Follow the FRIENDLY sign! The road was one lane gravel with some washed spots, but well maintained for as much rain as they have had lately. Low clearance vehicles might not appreciate the surface, but it IS a gravel road! It’s narrow, but there are some wide spots that permit social distancing between cars without backing up too far. It’s a couple of miles up to the well marked trail head. There is probably room for 15 nicely positioned parked cars. There were four cars when we arrived at around 10:30 AM, and five different ones when we ended the hike about 4 hours later. The trail itself was exceptionally maintained, easy to follow and well marked, as if you needed the blue blazes to find your way. Even if it is such an obvious trail, there is some comfort to look up after one of the 16 water crossings and see the bright blue blaze reinforcing the fact that one is still on the trail. I was comfortable in my over the ankle hiking boots, never got my feet wet. A bit more rain and that may have been difficult to do. We had one in our party that was happy to have worn Chacos; the water was quite refreshing and it was a hot day. The trail had lots of roots and rocks, more of the latter toward the top of the trail. If creek walks are your thing, this one is superb. Tumbling white water and small falls delight you around every bend, each view worthy of a photo. You are never out of earshot of the creek sounds. Summer, creeks, and bugs all seem to go together. You might want to reapply any repellent after working up a sweat on the 700 ft elevation climb. When someone speaks of the enchanted forest, this may be what they have in mind. Lots of beautiful emerald green mossy rocks, ferns, and some late blooming rhododendron, not to mention some gorgeous butterflies, just add to that enchanted feeling. The waterfall at the top of the trail does not disappoint. The foot of the falls is a great place for a snack break. Both the falls and the surrounding scenery provide a feast for the eyes. The misty cool breeze coming off the falls completes the scene. There is a “rock scramble” that will get you to the top of the falls. Everyone in our group could have made the scramble, but what you climb up you will likely have to climb down. We just weren’t feeling it today. Ha, that just gives us another reason to come back!

View Wayne's Recording
Mary Bailor
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 29, 2020
HikingBugsRockyScramble

Great hike, flat for the most part, it had a scramble so that was a added bonus for me although I wore sandals (opps) easy. I was very happy a lot of creek crossing kids would enjoy. Just enjoyable, although I am curious can you get to the upper fall??

April Parks
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 21, 2020
Hiking

This was a very well marked trail. All reviews are correct about the directions to get there. I would also add that the gravel road to the trailhead is very narrow. I met another vehicle and luckily they’d just passed a pull off and could back up a bit so I could pass by. The trail itself is well maintained. It had rained earlier in the day so the rocks were very slippery when crossing the river. Make sure you were shoes with good tread or water shoes to simply walk in the water. There’s a bit of a rock scramble just at the end of the trail too. Overall it was a lovely hike through the forest and the waterfall at the end is really beautiful!

Tammy Miller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 11, 2020
HikingMuddyRocky

Trail is well marked. You will be hiking over a rocky trail and crossing the creek 32 times so wear appropriate footwear. I loved this hike. The forest was beautiful and the creek scenic with multiple cascades and little spillovers that were so pretty. The falls at the end were gorgeous. My dog is a medium sized dog and he loved the hike as well. Finding the trailhead was a some adventure in itself. Like the other reviewers said, the apps gps is a little off. It is good right until the end and then tells you to to make a left onto Pete Greever Rd. Don't. There is a sign anyway that points you the right way that says Gentry Falls 2 miles ahead. So from there go past the first parking area and yeah, take the slightly sketchy road until you see a nice big clearing of the second parking area, that's the trailhead. Look for the trail sign. Now the road to there is incredibly narrow. I'm not sure how two vehicles that meet up would get around each other. One would have to back up a pretty good ways. The road isn't maintained - my jeep made it just fine, not sure how little cars would fare. I was pleasantly surprised how clean it was. Good job hikers practicing LNT!

Trish Westerman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 5, 2020
Hiking

This is a tricky wet trail

View Trish's Recording
joel steinberg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 3, 2020

Great hike. Beautiful waterfall at the end. 32 water crossings round trip. Wear sturdy water shoes with a toe box so you don't worry about getting your feet wet crossing the creek. Really an outstanding waterfall.

Alex Jones
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 18, 2020
HikingGreat!MuddyRocky

This is the most beautiful trail! And the falls are pretty impressive, too! So many creek crossings, so be prepared to have some wet feet, but so worth it.

Bernie Weese
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 17, 2020
HikingMuddyRockyScramble

Well marked, easy to follow trail. We’d rate this one as “easy” instead of “moderate” except for the scramble at the very end to get to the falls. Beautiful waterfall, with a great pool to splash around in. There were 32 total crossings and according to my watch, it was just under 5.5 miles.

View Bernie's Recording
Madison Potter
HikingMuddy

The trail is a little difficult to find even for a group of locals. We live in the area but have never been to the Gentry Creek Falls so we used the route given by this app. It goes through Google Maps which took us to the entirely wrong side of the county and even into North Carolina. This trail is in Tennessee. After getting lost for almost an hour, driving on some gravel road on the side of a cliff and turning around as soon as we could we called someone who had been before to get directions. Once we found it, we parked 2 miles away from the trailhead in a parking lot and walked the rest of the way because it's impossible to pass cars, but I would recommend driving straight to the trailhead. The trail is in very good condition and the creek crossings were PERFECT because it was extremely hot. The falls are beautiful, but a little crowded (probably because we have to social distance right now and everyone is hiking).