Gabes Mountain Trail to Hen Wallow Falls

Gabes Mountain Trail to Hen Wallow Falls is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Cosby, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

bridge out

The trip to Hen Wallow Falls is a pleasant walk through hemlock and rhododendron forest. A signed side trail leads to the base of the falls by way of steep switchbacks. Hen Wallow Creek, only two feet wide at the top of the falls, fans out to 20 feet at the base. The waterfall is 90 feet high.

I hiked this in the Summer of 2017, and not many people were on the trail. It was calm getting up there, but the waterfall was amazing and definitely worth the trip.

Pretty muddy hike today! There are a few trees down here and there, and the water is high in places from all the rain we’ve had, but overall still a great time!

Hiked December 23rd. Nice.

We hiked the first week of November 2018. Great trail, beautiful colors with the leaves. The day was awesome, mid-60's. The trail was nice, a little mud from recent rain, tree roots and rocks in the trail. well marked to Hen Wallow Falls. Round trip was about 4.2 miles. This trail is highly recommended, we would definitely hike here again.

Good hike with an 11 year old and 8 year old. Took around 2.5 hours in for hydration and picture breaks and 1 hour out. The water fall was nice. I think it was slightly challenging for me not being a novice and not physically fit. It only gets rough toward the middle and at the end near the waterfall. Very rocky and rooty. I recommend good boots and a couple bottles of water.

Pretty steep trip in but a good hike trough the woods. Great waterfall. BCC #34 is just up the way and a great place to stay the night.

Fairly easy hike to a beautiful waterfall.

great hike. weather was perfect. people ahead of us saw a bear but no issues. a must see and a great place to get away from the crazy busy tourist weekend in Gatlinburg.

What a beautiful hike with a beautiful waterfall with lots of salamanders in it. We hiked this during a thunderstorm and had it to ourselves for the most part. It is a great workout and a nice trail.

nice hike. although it did rain on us. we've done this one before. not too hard. although our round trip mileage from the bathroom area is 5.15 miles total.

We have done this trail a couple times and find it to be a good hike. When the trail is less crowded (April instead of July), you might come across some deer that will trail along parallel to you for a bit. You also might see a snake or two near the trail.

Absolutely beautiful trial from the beginning. The sound of the creek throughout is nice. Felt like we were on Tom Sawyer's Island in Disneyland because it was so clean and perfect. Nice footbridges crossing the water when needed. A butterfly landed on my shoulder and took a ride for about 15 minutes. The waterfall was very nice as well. Plenty of room to splash around and cool off. Had a picnic on the rocks at the bottom of the falls before heading back. Easy hike all the way. Didn't see any bears but we did spot a squirrel!

Great hike! It was fun crossing the streams and the water fall was beautiful. The terrain was of moderate difficulty. The rhododendron blooms were stunning.

Great day hike with a beautiful waterfall at the end. A few creek crossings and flooded with rhodendrons. Hiked this trail from Cosby Campground where we stayed. Pretty demanding first half of hike that is consistently uphill. Easy trek back down. Saw a large black rat snake about a mile in from Campground trailhead. Saw two sets of hikers our entire trip and had the falls to ourselves.

The hubs and I just hiked to the falls with our 3 year old and 10 year old girls. The way there is a pretty steady incline with neat log bridges to cross. We were hoping to see bears, but no luck this time. We passed a few friendly hikers and trail runners. While the path is not busy, it is well-marked. Very rocky and rooty, our preferred travel terrain. It took us about 3 hours in (with breaks for the kiddos) and 45 minutes out. I would recommend this trail to anyone interested in a challenging, yet very do-able hike.

Loved everything about this hike. Varied footing and winding trails, check. Varying grades, check. Beautiful foliage, check. Great tree cover, check. Sounds of the waterfall the entire hike and creeks along the way, check. The way up is obviously more of an ascent but the trail winds around the mountain making some lovely grade variations throughout the hike. The hike was very rocky and rooty, which I love but others in my group did not, so it may not be suitable for older people and small kids. The two 11 year olds in our group were fine and loved it. It was also a bit slippery (causing a few falls) but we went after a lot of rain so I don’t know what the norm is for this trail. I didn’t mind the mud, as I enjoy the challenge of calculating each step using roots, rocks, and tree branches to avoid it. And the best part, I only saw one other group in the trail. This trail is a best kept secret.

Nice falls. Not a lot of room if you go when the tourists flock to it. Gradual climb along the trail. Hardest part is the walk up the spur trail from the fall BUT not overwhelming. When there is not a lot of leaves on the trees you get good views of English Mtn & Mt Cammerer.

A great hike! Once the rhododendrons bloom it would be amazing to see. Waterfall at the end was perfect. Took us about an 70 minutes there and 50 minutes back, hiking with two tweens. Well marked with signs, except where there is a large tree bridge vs down a path toward the creek. You can go either way, it all meets back up on the path. Lots of parking just beyond the trail head.

Cool hike to an epic waterfall

Beautiful hike! Steady incline up but great trail. Rained during the day, but the trail held up. The smell of the water hitting the rocks, wow.

Thursday, January 04, 2018

Very nice quiet, serene trail...we hiked on New Years Day and encountered 10 other couples... the ground was snow covered and the waterfall was mostly frozen, but very beautiful! Moderate in difficulty, in my opinion.

Tuesday, January 02, 2018

our first winter hike! first people on the trail and it was beautiful in the snow

Thursday, December 28, 2017

Hiked it again yesterday, and it was the prettiest I have ever seen! #icywaterfall ❤️

Sunday, December 17, 2017

Hen Wallow Falls is one of my favorite "not so popular" trails.
It is nice when you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of life and go disappear into tranquility!

Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Just completed this trail, it snowed on us the entire time. its still a pretty trail, good views, and zero traffic. i would recommend this trail for all skill levels.

Monday, November 27, 2017

did this starting at Cosby campground up passed hens wallow falls. 13.2 round trip it was good nice and quite!!!

Wednesday, November 08, 2017

Nice gradual climb on a clearly defined trail. Enough it was wet, the kept the mud in check.

Thursday, November 02, 2017

Not too strenuous and beautiful today with the fall color and nice temps. Hen Wallow falls was worth the hike. So pretty!

Sunday, September 24, 2017

I would say this is a strong moderate as you climb non stop for the first half. Rocky surface. Not busy on a week day

Saturday, August 05, 2017

It was steaming hot day but a great hike.