Gabes Mountain Trail to Hen Wallow Falls

Gabes Mountain Trail to Hen Wallow Falls is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Cosby, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

bridge out

old growth

The trip to Hen Wallow Falls is a pleasant walk through hemlock and rhododendron forest. A signed side trail leads to the base of the falls by way of steep switchbacks. Hen Wallow Creek, only two feet wide at the top of the falls, fans out to 20 feet at the base. The waterfall is 90 feet high.

Nice falls. Not a lot of room if you go when the tourists flock to it. Gradual climb along the trail. Hardest part is the walk up the spur trail from the fall BUT not overwhelming. When there is not a lot of leaves on the trees you get good views of English Mtn & Mt Cammerer.

A great hike! Once the rhododendrons bloom it would be amazing to see. Waterfall at the end was perfect. Took us about an 70 minutes there and 50 minutes back, hiking with two tweens. Well marked with signs, except where there is a large tree bridge vs down a path toward the creek. You can go either way, it all meets back up on the path. Lots of parking just beyond the trail head.

Cool hike to an epic waterfall

Beautiful hike! Steady incline up but great trail. Rained during the day, but the trail held up. The smell of the water hitting the rocks, wow.

Very nice quiet, serene trail...we hiked on New Years Day and encountered 10 other couples... the ground was snow covered and the waterfall was mostly frozen, but very beautiful! Moderate in difficulty, in my opinion.

our first winter hike! first people on the trail and it was beautiful in the snow

Hiked it again yesterday, and it was the prettiest I have ever seen! #icywaterfall ❤️

Hen Wallow Falls is one of my favorite "not so popular" trails.
It is nice when you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of life and go disappear into tranquility!

Just completed this trail, it snowed on us the entire time. its still a pretty trail, good views, and zero traffic. i would recommend this trail for all skill levels.

did this starting at Cosby campground up passed hens wallow falls. 13.2 round trip it was good nice and quite!!!

Nice gradual climb on a clearly defined trail. Enough it was wet, the kept the mud in check.

Not too strenuous and beautiful today with the fall color and nice temps. Hen Wallow falls was worth the hike. So pretty!

I would say this is a strong moderate as you climb non stop for the first half. Rocky surface. Not busy on a week day

It was steaming hot day but a great hike.

We had a great time on this trail. Saw a few other hikers enjoying the day, we even heard one lady singing as she hiked along. It was hot so the girls told us to go ahead and finish and they started working back. We got close to the falls but turned back after the black bear popped out. Looks like we missed out on a good fishing hole too. We'll try again on another trip.

Beautiful hike! Saw deer and only few other people. Rained heavily the day prior but trails dry. Trail wide enough in most spots so I could walk beside husband which was nice :). Several stream crossings and diversity of landscape so it was always something new and beautiful around the corner! Definitely bring bug spray though!

Thursday, May 04, 2017

This was a last-last minute decision hike since we traveled 3 hrs and Max Patch road was inaccessible due to many downed trees. We pulled over and saw this on AllTrails, and we love the Cosby area, so it was perfect! For about 95% of the 2.2 miles the falls, there is all uphill, mostly a steady incline but enough to get your heart pumping! The forest is gorgeous as are the wildflowers in spring, the footbridges, and at last- Hen Wallow Falls at the end!! Go after lots of rain! This is a great place to picnic and relax. There are a few partial views of the surrounding mountains, too. Most of the way back is downhill and much faster descent. We termed this trail "Mount Cammerer's Little Sister" because of the 900 foot elevation gain on this trail. :)

Thursday, April 13, 2017

Absolutely loved this trail. Beautiful views and waterfall is wonderful. We will return for sure.

Tuesday, April 04, 2017

Fun trail.

Monday, April 03, 2017

Good trail, well used. Nice waterfall. Be careful, the rocks at the base of the falls can be slick.

Wednesday, March 08, 2017

Great trail! 3 little foot bridges, moderate hiking, peaks at waterfall.

Monday, February 20, 2017

We really enjoyed the hike. We walked to the falls which was small, but very peaceful. We were wondering if there were bigger falls farther along the trail? We walked further for a bit and didn't find it. We didn't have time to keep walking. Part of the trail had lots of trees cut down which wasn't very pretty and sad actually. I loved the bridges for crossing the water. It was a nice day hike.

Sunday, February 05, 2017

Loved this trail!! Not an extremely difficult trail, I've just started hiking again and am a bit out of shape but I handled it well. Does have lots of rocks and stumps so pay attention. The falls were better than the pics showed, loved it will do it again

Sunday, January 22, 2017

Great way to spend Christmas Day! Beautiful, peaceful and well maintained Trail of roots, rocks and colorful leaves.

Monday, January 02, 2017

My fiancé and I had a blast on this trail! So beautiful

Saturday, October 29, 2016

Nice waterfall good hike with limited time

Saturday, October 15, 2016

First time hiking with hiking poles I am a definite fan of them. It was a 80 degree day in October very warm for a fall day. Celebrated my 24th wedding anniversary with my beautiful wife on an awesome hike in the mountains. It was great to get out and enjoy Gods creative beauty.

Monday, May 09, 2016

Enjoyed this trail for the second time. I took my daughter on this trail when she was two & needed to be carried most of the way, I think she walked one mile. It was tough that time because I carried her the whole way in a hiking carrier. The uphill climb and rugged terrain made for a challenging trail. This trip however, my daughter is four years old and she walked to the falls without much assistance & was carried off & on going back. Would I recommend this trail to others? Yes. I would suggest water, snacks, hiking essentials & sturdy shoes. The hike is mostly shaded by the surrounding historic forest. The trail has areas with rocks, roots & mud throughout. I think this is a great trail families with older children. As always, bringing smaller children makes situations more complex. I think smaller children would enjoy this hike, but will need to be carried some. My number one rule of hiking with kids is to Always Outnumber The Children. It's always best to have another adult to help. We started at the trail head around 2pm and came back around 6:30pm- we spent a good while at the falls and took breaks throughout.

Saturday, April 02, 2016

A great off the beaten path trail. Trail is easy to follow. Had a really enjoyable afternoon walk through the woods. Good for all skill levels. Had great bbq after the hike at the Hungry Bear restaurant on E Parkway.

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

We are an active couple with an active eight year old boy, and the trail proved to be challenging on the hike up. It is a gorgeous trail, beautiful scenery. Very quiet. Very neat water crossings. It took us four hours round trip yesterday with a number of breaks to allow me to catch my breath. I honestly think I was having an elevation problem. The falls are down a steep path so be aware. Good shoes are recommended and plenty of water. We ate our snacks at the falls (which were stunning) and headed back. The hike back down goes MUCH faster. I did burst one panting family's bubble when I told them they were not at the halfway point yet. Please. Read the trail signs. No dogs are allowed. That goes for the folks who think their unleashed Australian Cattle Dog doesn't apply to the rule.