Gabes Mountain Trail to Hen Wallow Falls

Gabes Mountain Trail to Hen Wallow Falls is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Cosby, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

bridge out

old growth

The trip to Hen Wallow Falls is a pleasant walk through hemlock and rhododendron forest. A signed side trail leads to the base of the falls by way of steep switchbacks. Hen Wallow Creek, only two feet wide at the top of the falls, fans out to 20 feet at the base. The waterfall is 90 feet high.

This was a last-last minute decision hike since we traveled 3 hrs and Max Patch road was inaccessible due to many downed trees. We pulled over and saw this on AllTrails, and we love the Cosby area, so it was perfect! For about 95% of the 2.2 miles the falls, there is all uphill, mostly a steady incline but enough to get your heart pumping! The forest is gorgeous as are the wildflowers in spring, the footbridges, and at last- Hen Wallow Falls at the end!! Go after lots of rain! This is a great place to picnic and relax. There are a few partial views of the surrounding mountains, too. Most of the way back is downhill and much faster descent. We termed this trail "Mount Cammerer's Little Sister" because of the 900 foot elevation gain on this trail. :)

Absolutely loved this trail. Beautiful views and waterfall is wonderful. We will return for sure.

Fun trail.

Good trail, well used. Nice waterfall. Be careful, the rocks at the base of the falls can be slick.

Great trail! 3 little foot bridges, moderate hiking, peaks at waterfall.

We really enjoyed the hike. We walked to the falls which was small, but very peaceful. We were wondering if there were bigger falls farther along the trail? We walked further for a bit and didn't find it. We didn't have time to keep walking. Part of the trail had lots of trees cut down which wasn't very pretty and sad actually. I loved the bridges for crossing the water. It was a nice day hike.

Loved this trail!! Not an extremely difficult trail, I've just started hiking again and am a bit out of shape but I handled it well. Does have lots of rocks and stumps so pay attention. The falls were better than the pics showed, loved it will do it again

Great way to spend Christmas Day! Beautiful, peaceful and well maintained Trail of roots, rocks and colorful leaves.

My fiancé and I had a blast on this trail! So beautiful

Nice waterfall good hike with limited time

First time hiking with hiking poles I am a definite fan of them. It was a 80 degree day in October very warm for a fall day. Celebrated my 24th wedding anniversary with my beautiful wife on an awesome hike in the mountains. It was great to get out and enjoy Gods creative beauty.