Learn more

Gabes Mountain Trail to Greenbrier Creek

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(30)
Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Gabes Mountain Trail to Greenbrier Creek is a 8.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Cosby, Tennessee that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 8.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,653 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Refreshing waterfall adds to this great backpack The trail starts out crossing some foot bridges and climbing the ridge. At 2.2 miles you will come to a side trail that leads to Hen Wallow Falls. This a great rest stop as it was a popular Sunday destination of early park visitors . Return to the top of the trail to continue on as you will have a few stream crossings before you ascend Snake Den Mtn. There are many varieties of trees in this old growth forest as well as bountiful colors of trillium. You will have one tricky stream crossing that requires some careful rock hopping. Once to the other side you are in the Sugar Cove area where campsite 34 is located. This is a spacious campsite and has 15 tent sites. It is very popular so arrive early to ensure your spot of choice.

Trail is very secluded and has few sights to see. The log bridges were one of the interesting sights to see however. A group of 6 (including myself) camped at campsite 34. There is little signage when it comes to finding the campsite. The hike to the campsite is also mostly uphill and has lots of roots and rocks making it quite difficult while loaded down with camping supplies. Once at the campsite, there were many mosquitoes and no dry wood for kindling to be found. We had brought dry firewood with us but without kindling it was impossible to get a fire started. The creek near the campsite was a very cool spot and made for a peaceful sound during the night.

As a flatlander from Chicago I was foolish to not train for my hikes in the Smoky Mountains. No I was not camping but I WAS carrying an extra 30+ pounds of my 3 year old who stopped walking the trail around the 1/2 mile marker. We entered the trail just across from the first parking lot/picnic area to head to the waterfall. I expertly balanced my toddler on my back as I traversed 3 footbridges ranging from “gymnast balance beam” to “diving board” width. The gymnast balance beam was over some rushing, rocky water but my 8 and 10 year old did great with it. Would not have allowed the 3 year old to try it. After 2.1 miles that took my family about 2.1 hours to hike, we made it to the Falls. It was more like a trickle but definitely refreshing and fun for the kids to step in. There’s a sign at the falls to “mind your kids” and I made sure to hold my little ones’ hands as they navigated the rocks. The water is ankle-deep and not fast even after the late-June rains but I could see the slick rocks causing an injury for a kid (or adult who still thinks they’re a kid). The last .1 miles to and from the falls was the most strenuous. The narrow, steep hike back up to the main trail from the falls was my final reminder to always bring more snacks and water when hiking with my children. The more you know! This was a great hike to stay away from the crowds and social distance ourselves with a beautiful hike up a Smoky Mountain. The rain felt good and only now am I googling “Smoky Mountains rainforest?” However, we had plenty of cover from the passing storms. I would highly recommend the trail.

Nice trail with old growth forest toward trail end, just before campground 34. The stream is a nice rest point and have a snack. The early part of the trail has a lot of roots. I stopped at the falls but didn’t find it of great interest for May 29. There are downed logs as you near the campground so be prepared to get over them.

Good hike to campsite campsite 34. Trail muddy after rain, foggy all day. Trailhead says 4.8 to the campsite. AllTrails had us at 5.5 when we got there. Creek crossing at campsite 34 to get to site ankle deep.

Nice leisurely trail to a beautiful creek. Moderate is a good description for this trail as well. Very quiet this time of year until the way back. Once I got passed the waterfall again I started seeing people. Otherwise not one person on the way in and most of the way out. Very serene. Trail was muddy from all the rain recently had some overbrush fallen over the trail in parts. All around good, easy trail

Thu Apr 30 2015

Did this as long day hike looping with Snake Den! Great hike with awesome variety of flowers. Some good views some not so great views

Mon Jun 04 2012

We hiked this trail to campsite 34 and then came back out the same day. We first stopped at Henwallow Falls which was awesome. We saw several varieties of salamanders at the falls. Then we headed for the campsite. The area was very green and lush. One we arrived at the campsite we took a short break. We took a picture of a black beetle with orange spots. This was the first time I had seen a beetle with this pattern. We had to really speed up on the way back as a thunderstorm was approaching. We arrived at the car just before the rain started. I would recommend this hike especially to the falls. Eric and Karen

Fri Apr 13 2012

well maintained and fantastic trail. Away from the crowded trails of Gatlinburg. Hen Wallow Falls is 100' cascade hike within hike of only 4.5 mile roundtrip. many streams and overlooks that keep hike interesting. Beautiful and must see ifin GSMNP...

Sat May 04 2019