Fort Pillow State Historic Park Campground

Fort Pillow State Historic Park Campground is a 8.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Henning, Tennessee that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

canoeing

scenic driving

Lots of fun. Some decent hills and some nice views. It is very well marked and the staff is very helpful and friendly.

I haven't hiked since I was a scout. We decided to pick it back up as a family this year. Concerned with my lack of conditioning, I set for 3 trails this year. Fort Pillow was the first. I can say, without a doubt, that I made the right choice here. The park is clean, and the staff friendly. I had no worries leaving my car for the extended time gone. We loaded up our large packs for a practice run today. I took the yellow trail, which blends with this trail. It's about 2 miles shorter. Very well marked, with some challenges on the hills, but not enough to discourage me. The history is great to read along the way. Newly constructed campground bath/showers make for great car camping as well. I'm planning to go back for a different route to the back country camping very soon.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Saturday, March 05, 2016

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

hiked into the primitive sight on the one bluff trail. need a permit from the museum, so call ahead. the weather was back and forth from light to medium raining. the pine bluff trail is mostly mud with decently steep slopes of no more than 20 yards. the mud was rooty enough that it held up in the rain with only occasional slips. but I'm not sure if I would pack it on heavy rain days or when the rain has sustained over days. the main trail is pretty well maintained however.
if you're talking the trail from the museum and you're wanting to do the actual trails and not the fort then you can connect where the trail first hits the road about a 1/4-1/2 mile in.

I enjoyed the stay, beware the mosquitos, and enjoy.

also, and most importantly. fill up on water before heading out. I brought extra water bottles just for that purpose.

Monday, October 06, 2014

Excellent backcountry campsite on the blue trail. Had to wait a couple weeks to get a permit for the weekend. Only a mile or so to get to the campsite but it's a hilly mile. Benches on each side of the fire pit and outhouse provided at the site. Another couple of miles past the site and the trail abruptly ends. No good overlooks but permit-only trail leaves you nice and secluded.

Monday, March 19, 2012

Sunday, November 06, 2011

Absolutely loved the hike. First of November & weather was perfect. Trail was well-marked & well-maintained. Easy to follow trail maps with historical Civil War markers & topo. Saw the TN Trails group on the trail and one other group the whole day. Would recommend packing a lunch that would be most enjoyable at the MS River Overlook on Red Trail or up at the clearing at the actual fort. Would love to go back soon & get a permit for the backcountry site on the blue trail.

Saturday, November 05, 2011

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

This is a state trail located about 1 hr. north of Memphis in Lauderdale county. During the time my son & I hiked the trail, a portion of it was closed due to heavy snows in the Winter that had washed some of the trail away. Other parts of the trail were not maintained & blazes weren't there either. Wouldn't recommend it. The only good viewing is @ the trailhead when you can see the Mississippi river. (On a clear day)