Fort Donelson Battlefield Loop Trail

Fort Donelson Battlefield Loop Trail is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Dover, Tennessee that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Beautiful, hardly any people & wonderful views, plus bald eagles working the river!

Way too "industrial." Trail was horribly marked, I drifted off at least 6 times. It took a park ranger to tell me where the trail even began. Also, 1/3rd of the trail was by busy roads. I'm serious. Of course, it is busy partly because of the historic sites, but for a large portion of the trail, you can hear trucks and cars going down the highway. I wouldn't recommend this trail if you like solitude and exploring nature. The best part of the trail was that some parts were challenging to traverse, but that's really about all.

Trail is hard to follow, not a lot of trail markers. A bit rocky and rooty, if carrying a weighted pack it can be rough on the ankles. Trail is a good trainer. Nice up hill segments. Would ruck again.

Saturday, September 16, 2017

Pretty area. The battlefield is very well kept but the trail must not be used often enough. There were spiders and cobwebs across the middle of the trail almost every step you took. It was too many to be enjoyable; ended up being more spider battling than hiking and relaxing.

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Couple of Marking missing but otherwise an amazing Hike.

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Not a bad trail, pretty well kept. The only issue is they are not very well marked. There are some little side trails and cuts that you can mistake for the actual trail.

Saturday, August 05, 2017

Came here with my husband and our two dogs today. The main road is nice to walk along and you can stop at all the tour spots. We attempted to walk along the trail but every 3 feet we would end up with a huge spider&web in our faces because the trail is not walked often enough, so that got old fast and we turned around after about 1/3 of a mile. Very pretty area. Be warned, there are thousands of tiny little ticks out there, we came home and had two on our puppy, haven't found any on our Aussie yet because of her hair but they will both be getting baths even though they have flea and tick prevention. I found 7 total on myself smaller than a needle and will be rechecking my husband for them, found 3 on him earlier. I would recommend going and sticking to the main roads but be prepared to check every inch of your body later.

Monday, January 23, 2017

VERY NICE VIEWS!! TRAIL DOES NEED BETTER MARKINGS WHEN CROSSING FIRE BREAKS AND HISTORICAL AREAS. LOTS OF HISTORY TO SEE AND EXPERIENCE HERE.

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Nice views of river.

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Nice hike with some steep hills and a few snakes

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Didnt walk the whole trail - but likely about half way. It has some moderately steepness.

Friday, April 22, 2016

it was a great trail well marked lots of interesting sites

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Easy hike with lots of interesting history to be seen, enjoyable

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Beautiful, well kept/well marked, moderate terrain with the added benefit of having great historical significance.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

A nice loop trail. This is part of the National Battlefield. It is worth watching the short video and talking w/ the rangers at the visitor center prior to hiking. You learn a lot and it adds to the experience of hiking in a historic area. I went after some serious rain so the creeks/rivers were high and the trails closest to the river were flooded.

Monday, July 24, 2017