Flat Rock Cedar Glades and Barrens Hike Trail

Flat Rock Cedar Glades and Barrens Hike Trail is a 3.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Murfreesboro, Tennessee that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I have walked this trail dozens of times in the last few years as it is only minutes from my home. I enjoy the seclusion and landscape. It has been overgrown this summer and the trail does not appear to be maintained with the frequency it was two years ago. Any reference to trash is referring to items discarded on the property decades ago. While not a perfect spot, I would definitely recommend it to locals.

A wonderful cedar glade habitat hike! A little elevation change but not much. Good loop but was closer to 3.8 on my gps. Didn’t see a soul so a great place to escape.

Good little hike. Would do it again sometime. My first time here. Was a little muddy but manageable for sure.

I love this trail. It's the second time I have hiked it. 4/18/18 I done this trail and saw so many beautiful wildflowers. It's a fairly flat trail but a lot to see . It can be muddy in spots but still worth the effort to hike it. Not a lot of other hikers out on the trail which made it very peaceful day. I never saw any scary animals on this trail like the other review said just some birds. I will be back again. Loved this trail.

I like this trail because of the cedar glades and the wildflowers, the problem is that it is easy to get confused on the trail, it wasn't well marked when I went the last few times. Also it can be very muddy...but still worth it.

Short Trail, nothing to see. Good walk in the park if youre bored. Very average

Great trail. AMAZING wild flower variety. A lot of rocks and some muddy places at the beginning. Best hiking in murfreesboro in my opinion.

Found the trail to be uninteresting with lots of trash along the route. I personally won't be returning.

ok trail but would be better in late fall through early spring because i disnt like walking through the high grass.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

In late summer this Glade trail seems to the casual hiker to not have much beauty. However in April I can imagine the beautiful Breadroot and Glade Phlox blooming. There is much beauty here if you know the flora especially the Purple Cone flowers that had bloomed earlier. I'm so thankful that Tennessee has chosen to preserve this habitat that is rapidly disappearing due to development.
The reason I didn't give a 5 star rating was that the trail was poorly marked. We meant do do the 1.5 mile loop but never saw the "white" markers, we were always wondering if we were headed back to the trailhead. It would have been helpful to add "mile markers".
I'm definitely coming back next April.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Honestly this is the worst trail I've been on. It was not well marked. At one point we ended up in the woods. On the far part of the trail it smelled like garbage. We were the only one out there. There is a lot of water and mud to walk through. So bring water shoes if you choose this trail.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Well marked and maintained. This was perfect for our second trail run of the day. Small parking area. Beautiful flowers along the trail.

If you area looking for an easy trail to run, this one is perfect. You can add a partial loop to make a great 5+ mile run.

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Beautiful flowers in May. Bring extra water, as the trail is often in sunlight. Use plenty of bug spray, as this trail has more buzzing insects than others we've walked. Trail is not always clearly marked, so make sure to bring the app with you for the map.

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Had to come out here for several Biology courses at MTSU, still enjoy coming back to hike.

Thursday, April 06, 2017

I hike here very often and almost always have it to myself. Love it

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Trail at one point was not well marked. So with knowledge of the area due to recoding my walk was able to see what I was not on the trail. So had to bush wack to rejoin the actual trail and was no other issues with this excellent trail.

Sunday, March 19, 2017

We enjoyed the hike and the weather was perfect. We were the only ones there today and it was nice. As others have noted the trail markings are not the best, but it is manageable. Appears the area was once a farm or some kind of area with a few house as you can see the remnants of barns, appliances, etc. in the area. If you don't have a lot of time and need to get a quick hike in this would be worthwhile.

Sunday, March 05, 2017

I would agree with all previous comments. It's an easy trail, but be prepared to get a little wet and muddy after a rain. It's close and will probably go back for more adventures, and even find new trails!!

Sunday, February 26, 2017

The good: it close, it's has a very open and clear feel, the vegetation is pretty
The not so good: trails are not marked all that well...but it makes for an adventure through the wilderness
Synopsis: Definitely will be adding it to my list of regular hiking spots

Thursday, February 02, 2017

A sketchy sinkhole trail- only redeeming quality was the vegetation. Both of these previous descriptions are pretty accurate: "an ill maintained trail thru dumping grounds using creekbeds for trails. About as appealing as a walk thru the county dump" "The area in which the hike is located is a little disconcerting. The kind of place where you don't want to be there after dark. On the trail we encountered a LOT of dumping grounds of old washers, ovens, rusty this and that, old tires and just major trash in general"

Thursday, January 12, 2017

Unless you wear GTX hiking boots/shoes avoid for 48/72 hours after a rain event. Purple trail blazes became blue and then non-existent. Some trail signs no longer erect. Not very scenic but good for burning some calories.

Tuesday, January 03, 2017

Nice trail, not much to look at. Pretty much had the trail to ourselves except one. Would hike again but just because it's close to house.

Monday, September 26, 2016

Very flat, not very scenic....no water.

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Trail use is light and can be hard to stay on course. Not much to see but it was an easy hike. One and done for me on this trail.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

only giving two stars because we got lost for about an hour. landmarks need to be updated so people don't get lost. other than that, it's a really great trail and a beautiful place to hike.

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Very interesting trail. Trail signs were difficult to follow. Light traffic. Overall had a fun experience.

Tuesday, March 08, 2016

This was an easy trail but there were some areas where it wasn't as well marked as it could be. It had just rained so it was muddy and there were areas where you had to cross small streams.

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Tuesday, September 01, 2015

Great hike, well marked. Much longer than what shows here.

Saturday, August 29, 2015

Pleasant short walk. vegetation variety touted by Park Service lost on me, but enjoyed varying ecosystems. Plentiful rocks are slippery when wet (no I did not fall). Need to try longer loop when time allows.