Finley Cane Trail is a 5.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Townsend, Tennessee that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Monday 10/22/18

This is the most peaceful hike that I have been on in the smokies. I was completely alone! The forest smelled amazing and the trail was surprisingly easy to follow for being so lightly trafficked. This trail is used for horses as well and most of the prints I saw were hooves and manure.

When you begin you’ll reach a sign that says “Turkeypen Ridge Trail .1” a little ways in. This threw me off because I’m bad at directions, but go RIGHT. There are 4-6 water crossings (depending on rain fall), but all have stones high enough out of the water that you can easily avoid getting wet. There were a lot of trees down and I’m curious why, but not too many covering the trail luckily (5-10 total).

The only chance at a view (like in some photos) would be at the end of the trail and during winter when all of the leaves have fallen. I hiked down the trail that this one dead ends into hoping to find a view and did not. I also hiked up behind the horse tie-off area hoping that the trail there would lead to a view and it did not.

This was seriously the best trail: not too difficult, not too easy, and a lot of change of terrain for an easy-rated trail. Total time for me was 2hrs 45min and that is with a little extra exploring, stopping to nurse the baby, and carrying a baby. I would definitely recommend this trail!!!

Nice walk in the woods. Was hoping for views that other people reviewed but they must only be in the winter and fall. Saw an elk and lots of cool Fungi.

Monday, September 21, 2015

Nice long hike with some climb. Only ran into two other hikers. Wildflowers & mushrooms are abundant.

Monday, June 09, 2014

We hiked this trail in 2012. It is a fairly easy hike without a lot of elevation gain. We saw two bears and a turkey on the hike. My wife sneezed loudly and scared one of the bears before we had seen it. It ran about 60 yards before stopping to check us out. We also included Crib Gap Trail to add some mileage to the trail. This was a good hike that offered a lot of different terrain and scenery.

Saturday, April 06, 2013

Walked this trail and liked it because of views and the mostly easy hike.

Saturday, August 12, 2017