Fiery Gizzard Trail to Raven's Point

Fiery Gizzard Trail to Raven's Point is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Tracy City, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

cave

old growth

This trail is considered one of the top 25 hiking trails in the United States. Hikes can view spectacular rock formations, cascading streams, waterfalls, rocky gorges, panoramic overlooks and lush woodlands. It begins on top of Mont Eagle mountain and descends into Savage Gulf and private property. The creek that runs through is clean cold and gorgeous. Since it is private property there is one camp site where fire is not permitted. It is a difficult to strenuous trail, but worth every step. It features great views waterfalls and primitive home of the local indians. A must for any souther outdoorsman.

3 minutes ago

I like it.

Great scenery is not in short supply on this trail. Personally speaking I think going ccw is the harder option, the opposite of which we did, but the harder summit trail is definitely ccw. Will definitely hike this trail again and try to make our way to the foster falls area.

This is a beautiful trail. You'll see streams and waterfalls, particularly if there has been much rain before your hike. There are two ways to go to Raven Point. One is the Fiery Gizzard Trail that takes you through a rugged gorge and the other is the Dog Hole Trail that has simpler terrain. The FG terrain in the gorge is brutal - lots of crazy, slippery rocks at odd angles. Dog Hole has enough challenge for most people.

When you get to Raven Point, it's a 270 degree view from 500 feet above the gorge. Great spot for lunch.

Didn't go all the way to Raven's Point due to time, but will definitely be back! One of the most beautiful hikes in the State.

So.....I hiked the Fiery Gizzard to Raven Point last week with my 15 year old granddaughter. I'm 66 and i fairly decent shape, and she is TOTALLY athletic. That being said...I kicked our butts big-time. We did the Fiery Gizzard out and came back via the Dog Hole trail; when you read that the boulder field is tough going....believe it. Beautiful hiking, but as rough a trail as you could picture negotiating for 3-4 miles. There were several downed trees across the trail after we got deep in, but we managed to work around them and forge ahead. The climb out of the gorge is indeed steep and tough, although I'm pretty sure it would be less so if not for having to get there on the boulder field. Came back by way of the Dog Hole trail......total out and back was about 6 1/2 hours. Drop-dead gorgeous hike. Yes, kicked out butts...but would not trade the experience for anything and will definitely go back for a through hike from Foster Falls to Grundy. DON'T SKIP THIS ONE!!

2nd time. I hiked Grundy loop to Fiery Gizzard, veered off and up onto Dog Hole trail for the upper ridge portion. If you go here you get the opportunity to see an additional awesome overlook and another waterfall. I then continued to Ravens Point, then descended back down Fiery Gizzard trail looping back towards the Grundy loop and the trail head. It is quite steep. Steeper than I remember before. It is quite strenuous, especially with a pack. The river is gorgeous and awe invoking. Very rocky on the lower river-side stretch. Wear boots. Would've twisted an ankle or two if I hadn't. Bring plenty of water. I had 48oz but could've had double that to be safe. I hiked it all in about 3:20 minutes. With a total travel time of 5.5 hours from lunch taking in the views and picture taking. I forget how quickly it gets dark in a forest. Almost scary at about 5 pm when the shadows lengthen and the river is the only sound beside you. Enjoy it. The additional 8 miles from ravens point is not as scenic. There are some more over looks but I'd say it's worth doing the loop I did then driving the 15 min to Foster falls via the highway. The river is the best part.

Gorgeous trail.