Fiery Gizzard Trail to Raven's Point

Fiery Gizzard Trail to Raven's Point is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Tracy City, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

cave

old growth

This trail is considered one of the top 25 hiking trails in the United States. Hikes can view spectacular rock formations, cascading streams, waterfalls, rocky gorges, panoramic overlooks and lush woodlands. It begins on top of Mont Eagle mountain and descends into Savage Gulf and private property. The creek that runs through is clean cold and gorgeous. Since it is private property there is one camp site where fire is not permitted. It is a difficult to strenuous trail, but worth every step. It features great views waterfalls and primitive home of the local indians. A must for any souther outdoorsman.

Did this one a few weeks back. It was somewhere in the low 90's in July. So yeah, I became a sweat beast. The pint of rum the night before at the civilized camp at Foster probably didn't help the sweating issues. LoL.

I have to say that top 25 rating is well earned. I have never been so happy to scramble over rock in my life. It was like a choose your own adventure book, sponsored by rocks that couldn't make it into heaven.

I was in Nike running shoes (yeah, I know, I had to get rid of my Guide tennie because too much wear). Thankfully I'm good on rock, so no big deal.

I have never seen beautiful rock. Like, ever. Until now anyways. It's all worth it. The Gizzard lives up to its reputation and when you get to Raven's Point, you'll understand. I feel like the Point is a reward for completing the hard part of the Gizzard. The rest of the full trail, and this is according to one of the Rangers, is a long, kind of meh, 8 mile trek. I haven't done it yet, so I'll reserve judgment.

I will soon be doing the full trail, end to end, on a hot August weekend. I kind of want to do the 8 miles first and then test my mettle on the Gizzard, but I haven't made up my mind yet. Any Gizzard vets out there can feel free to message me on the lunacy implied by what I'm thinking of doing.

We followed everyone's suggestions and started at the north side of the trail very early and it was nice and cool temperature for the first 1/3 of the hike. It was a great loop- at the split I definitely suggest doing the easy part (dog trail) first out to ravens point and then coming back down by the river if you like walking on bowling ball-like rocks! Many waterfalls and such a great hike!

This was a full afternoon excursion. Definitely wouldn't want to go for it on a hotter day. A little something for everyone. Great views, waterfalls, and elevation changes! Once we got to the farthest point there were a few large trees down on the trail- we had to use common sense and the map to get back to the trail. Great work out!

Spent the day doing 10.1 miles! Was absolutely amazing and a great hike and workout

Absolutely stunning views! The terrain can be very rocky/unstable while in the gorge, but the trip was well worth it.

Love the views throughout the hike. So far, it is my favorite.

This trail is absolutely amazing! It has many gorgeous little waterfalls and places to swim along the way. It is definitely challenging, which is one thing I love about it. It is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen.

I like it.

Great scenery is not in short supply on this trail. Personally speaking I think going ccw is the harder option, the opposite of which we did, but the harder summit trail is definitely ccw. Will definitely hike this trail again and try to make our way to the foster falls area.