Fiery Gizzard Trail to Raven's Point

Fiery Gizzard Trail to Raven's Point is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Tracy City, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

cave

old growth

This trail is considered one of the top 25 hiking trails in the United States. Hikes can view spectacular rock formations, cascading streams, waterfalls, rocky gorges, panoramic overlooks and lush woodlands. It begins on top of Mont Eagle mountain and descends into Savage Gulf and private property. The creek that runs through is clean cold and gorgeous. Since it is private property there is one camp site where fire is not permitted. It is a difficult to strenuous trail, but worth every step. It features great views waterfalls and primitive home of the local indians. A must for any souther outdoorsman.

Done this hike a few times now; it's my favorite hike near Nashville so far. There's not a lot of elevation gain but the rocky terrain makes it more difficult. I personally like taking this trail out and then the Dog Hole trail back from Raven's Point so you get to see two different trails in one hike. Be sure to keep an eye on the white trail markers b/c the trail isn't well-maintained or even distinctive at some points and I definitely wandered off the path a few times. The map you can pick up at the Cumberland State Park Visitor's Center isn't accurate at some points either so rely more on the markers; they're pretty frequent so you'll be able to follow them the whole way. The trail's usually pretty empty too which is nice.

No specialized hiking equipment is necessary for this trail (I only have tennis shoes so gotta make do with that) but boots or poles may be a good idea b/c the rocks. Also bring bug spray/a stick to knock down spider webs.

Ok. So this was an absolute monster of a trail, and very much so earned its' reputation as a top trail. It was beyond difficult though. I took my two dogs with me, a Husky and Carolina dog, and they handled the trail well. I would just warn anyone to be prepared for this beyond difficult trail, and to not wear tennis shoes as it will destroy your feet. Frankly, you need the support of hiking boots on this trail, so be smart. The view was absolutely gorgeous and absolutely worth it. Also, the trail is not super well marked, and the map is not exactly perfectly accurate. So just be careful, take your time, and bring lots of water.

Did this one a few weeks back. It was somewhere in the low 90's in July. So yeah, I became a sweat beast. The pint of rum the night before at the civilized camp at Foster probably didn't help the sweating issues. LoL.

I have to say that top 25 rating is well earned. I have never been so happy to scramble over rock in my life. It was like a choose your own adventure book, sponsored by rocks that couldn't make it into heaven.

I was in Nike running shoes (yeah, I know, I had to get rid of my Guide tennie because too much wear). Thankfully I'm good on rock, so no big deal.

I have never seen beautiful rock. Like, ever. Until now anyways. It's all worth it. The Gizzard lives up to its reputation and when you get to Raven's Point, you'll understand. I feel like the Point is a reward for completing the hard part of the Gizzard. The rest of the full trail, and this is according to one of the Rangers, is a long, kind of meh, 8 mile trek. I haven't done it yet, so I'll reserve judgment.

I will soon be doing the full trail, end to end, on a hot August weekend. I kind of want to do the 8 miles first and then test my mettle on the Gizzard, but I haven't made up my mind yet. Any Gizzard vets out there can feel free to message me on the lunacy implied by what I'm thinking of doing.

We followed everyone's suggestions and started at the north side of the trail very early and it was nice and cool temperature for the first 1/3 of the hike. It was a great loop- at the split I definitely suggest doing the easy part (dog trail) first out to ravens point and then coming back down by the river if you like walking on bowling ball-like rocks! Many waterfalls and such a great hike!

This was a full afternoon excursion. Definitely wouldn't want to go for it on a hotter day. A little something for everyone. Great views, waterfalls, and elevation changes! Once we got to the farthest point there were a few large trees down on the trail- we had to use common sense and the map to get back to the trail. Great work out!

Spent the day doing 10.1 miles! Was absolutely amazing and a great hike and workout