Fiery Gizzard Trail to Raven's Point

Fiery Gizzard Trail to Raven's Point is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Tracy City, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

cave

old growth

This trail is considered one of the top 25 hiking trails in the United States. Hikes can view spectacular rock formations, cascading streams, waterfalls, rocky gorges, panoramic overlooks and lush woodlands. It begins on top of Mont Eagle mountain and descends into Savage Gulf and private property. The creek that runs through is clean cold and gorgeous. Since it is private property there is one camp site where fire is not permitted. It is a difficult to strenuous trail, but worth every step. It features great views waterfalls and primitive home of the local indians. A must for any souther outdoorsman.

Beautiful and challenging! Plenty of changes in the terrain to keep it very interesting. It took us about 7 hours. Lots of stop-and-enjoy/rest through the Fiery Gizzard trail portion, then we just blazed through the rest after Ravens Point. We were glad we took the fiery gizzard trail first so our energy was good for the more brutal terrain. Bring three times as much water as you think you’ll need, and don’t plan on being able to use your legs much for the next 24 hours.

Lance Hayes has the best review of this trail (6th review below this one)...haven't laughed that hard in a long time. Every word he says is the gospel truth!!!

I made the mistake of going counter-clockwise on the way in and had to face the arduous and grueling hike out of the gorge on the back side of the mountain. The gorge took much longer than anticipated so my arrival at Rave Point was much later than I planned. After a quick lunch, I took a few selfies and went live on Facebook to show my friends what they were missing out on.

No sooner than I finished showing my friends the incredible view from Raven Point, the sky opened up and came a torrential downpour of Biblical proportions. The water was literally flowing along the trail path like a little river so I got to wade back. Due to the extremely difficult time I had traversing the terrain in the gorge, I ran out daylight a lot sooner than I had planned to (3 miles away from trailhead.) Fortunately, I ALWAYS hike prepared for contingencies so I had a flashlight with me. Needless to say, I was cold, wet, and totally exhaused by the time I got back to the parking lot! I only regret not having someone there to share such an excruciating and exhilarating experience with. I had the best time and loved every second of this venture...I felt SO alive and can't wait to go back!!! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Happy trails!!! ;-)

Lots of boulders in the gorge. I made the descending into the gorge on my way in and coming back out via the rim. Raven Point was absolutely breathtaking. I ate a quick lunch, took a couple selfies, and went live on Facebook to show mu friends what they were missing out on. No sooner than I finished, it came a torrential downpour to the point water was flowing down the trail like a small creek. Because the bottom side of the loop was so arduous I arrived at Raven Point much later than I had planned. On the way back I ran out of daylight about 3 miles from the trailhead (still in the poring rain). Needless to say, I was exhausted by the time I got back to the trailhead. This was by far my favorite hike to date. I felt so alive and only wish someone else could have been there to share such an exhilarating experience. Loved every second and can't wait to go back! ;-)

can't say enough about the diversity of the many challenges. Had a great time.

Deserves its reputation. Amazing. Wife and I loved it. Plan for 6-7h. Bad knees or ankles? Skip it until you’re healed. Rocks can be brutal...go counterclockwise on the second loop to make the back side easier. Eat your packed lunch at Werner Point - no people and I thought the views were the best there. You might not see it on a map, but it’s clearly marked on the trail. Enjoy!

Ted lied!

Actually, we went the full 12 miles but it turned into about 14 with the spur hikes. The ridge hikes were easy but the ups and downs were treacherous and torturous. By the time we went up the last elevation my heart ripped open my lungs to find even one liter of air. The bones in my legs turned into a fluid alloy, and the hot steam ironed even my underwear. My stomach searched for even a few calories as the inner lining turned inside out to reveal nothing but emptiness.

The truth is, it was a great hike but strenuous just as we were seeking. All the numerous ravines. water falls, and overlooks made a tiring trip with the while. No, Ted didn't really lie, but the long hike is for the healthy.

Definitely lived up to the reputation of being a beautiful and difficult hike. Didn't make it to RP unfortunately, we had to keep pushing onward to get back to camp before sundown... Didn't make it. Luckily I had the foresight to turn my phone off to save battery for just this occasion. My wife's phone battery died just as we got within sight of a campfire. Needless to say, be prepared when you start because hiking the gizzard portion takes longer than you would expect. Aside from the hellacious terrain (accurately described by Lance before me) the sights are amazing. We are definitely going back but will leave camp early enough not to repeat. I'm thinking about running this trail at some point... Could hold a great race on this trail. I'm thinking about calling it the Tongue Torch Trail Marathon, sponsored in part by Zaxbys...

Ted is a liar. This is the worst pain I have felt since I passed a kidney stone. Imagine having someone using a hydraulic press to squeeze golf balls into the soles of your bare feet while balancing on a tight rope while climbing at a 45 degree angle for 700 feet. It's like that, but worse. The only relief you will feel is looking out over Raven's Point and the initial since that you have the ability to end your life if you choose. As we left RP, one of the guys in our group mentioned that it was "all down hill from here". 1 mile and 3 severe leg cramps later, we buried him on Dog Hole Loop in a shallow unmarked grave. We probably did him a favor since his severe dehydration was causing him to hallucinate. At least you can look forward to getting stuck behind all of the old ladies and toddlers who are there to see the pretty water falls on the way back. They have spent 30 minutes enjoying scenery while all you want to do is get off the 9 mile torture device and have one of your friends amputate your feet. I've never come so close to verbally assaulting a complete stranger. We did finally make it off the trail, and once our driver regained the feeling in his hands, we drove to our campsite. Of course, we stopped for fluids, because the 4 collective gallons we brought was evidently not enough, and promptly had every muscle in our bodies seize as we attempted to get out of our vehicle. The lone person who had use of his extremities was able to get some drinks and pour them into our gasping and foaming mouths. It was a great time. Can't wait to go back!

We hiked in through the Gizzard to Raven’s Point and then out on top of the ridge on Dog Hole. Pretty challenging hike for our group of five but definitely worth the work. You can do the loop in the other direction but then you have the toughest part of the hike when you’re tired. The views down in the Gizzard are worth the extra work required to cross the rock fields. An Eno in the trees at Raven’s Point and some food was just what we needed. Highly recommend! Have fun, stay safe!

Hey Lance....what do you think?

For an "uphill first" mentality, do this loop counter clockwise. Our group went clockwise.

East half: BEAUTIFUL, relatively easy. Would make for a rewarding, easy/moderate out-and-back to Raven's point.

West half: VERY ROCKY (1-2 ft rocks everywhere, many were jagged and unstable), hard to walk on, noticeably more difficult to find trail markers. Still had some neat views of rock formations towards the end, but plan on being really slowed down here. Would be *really* easy to twist an ankle on this side.

We started with the east side of the trail to Raven's point--it was beautiful, relatively well-marked, and the trail was pretty smooth. However, after hitting Raven's point, we took the west side of the trail (completing the loop) and it was full of huge somewhat jagged rocks. Walking on them was very difficult and required a bit of light climbing in some areas. For us it was even worse because the rocks were mossy and wet, making them very slippery, especially with muddy shoes. Lost the trail a few times, and service was a little patchy on that side, so download maps beforehand. We didn't plan on the slowdown from walking on the rocks and ended up getting back after dark because of it, which wasn't a giant deal--just wish I had done more research on how difficult the west side of the loop was!