Fiery Gizzard Trail to Raven's Point is a 9.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Tracy City, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

cave

This is a very difficult trail - be prepared and bring plenty of water. Although dogs are allowed to use this trail, users have reported that the rock scrambling can be quite difficult for them. This trail located in Grundy Forest State Natural Area at South Cumberland State Park offers spectacular views of rock formations, cascading streams, waterfalls, rocky gorges, panoramic overlooks and lush woodland.

To echo other reviews, Fiery Gizzard is a rock festival almost the whole way through the gulf. You'll want to be sure footed and a trekking pole or two is a near necessity. This is mainly what makes it "hard" as the elevation changes are pretty minimal. After the climb up the boulders are fewer, and Dog Hole is pretty clear until it drops back down.
The trail is well marked by a combination of tree tags and paint. It gets a lot of traffic so pretty well worn as well.
There are some interesting rock formations, the river has several falls from medium to small, and a couple of good swimming holes. Not much in the way of views even with the leaves off until Ravens Point. Dog Hole has a couple of overlooks as well.

We did this trail Fiery Gizzard up to Ravens Point and then Dog Hole Trail back down. There were areas of the trail that were not well marked due to down trees. Very rocky terrain. We definitely felt a sense of accomplishment when we finished in 7.5 hours. Beautiful scenery along the trail.

One of my new favorite trails! Challenging but the views DO NOT disappoint! Absolutely gorgeous.

I've done the Fiery Gizzard to Raven's Point twice. It does not disappoint. I suggest you take the Fiery Gizzard trail out and return on the Dog Hole Trail. Your quads and knees will appreciate it.

I've also done the Savage Gulf trail referenced in the review below. I will agree that the climb out of the Savage Gulf is harder.

My last trip to the Fiery Gizzard was November 3, 2018. On my first trip, which was in early May, 2018, I only recall missing one turn and I quickly realized I was off trail, back tracked to last marker and picked up the trail again pretty easily. On this last trip the there were several large trees down on the trail and I missed several turns, At least twice I caught up with other people who had stopped to look around for trail markers. Maybe it was the downed trees, maybe it was because of all the leaves on the ground, I don't know. But something was making the trail disappear at times. This is not to say the trail isn't well marked - it is. You have to look for white tree markers. A lot of the trail is rocky. Full of rocks. boulder size rocks. If you don't feel like you are on the trail, go back to the last white tree marker and look again. It would be hard to get completely turned around on this trail. But the trail does seem to disappear at times.

This one's definitely worth the effort. The scenery is beautiful, but rugged. The terrain is very rocky through the gulf. I hiked down through the gulf and returned along the rim via the Dog Hole Trail after Raven's point, as the map here suggests. After climbing out of the gulf (this is the hardest part - pretty much straight uphill), the return trip is pretty easy. Be careful of loose rocks in the gulf, and pay attention to the trail markers. I hiked this trail alone and got turned around a few times. The trail markers are hard to spot in some places. The view from Raven's Point is magnificent. The point sticks out into the gulf, so you're surrounded by expansive views on 3 sides, and there's plenty of space, so it doesn't feel crowded even when other people are there.

If you've hiked through the Big Creek loop at Savage Gulf, this route is very similar. I think Savage Gulf is harder than Fiery Gizzard, but based on the reviews for both, it seems like there are mixed opinions on that.

Not for the faint of heart, but oh-so rewarding!!!

Wanted a good workout and I got one. The trail is lovely and the blazes are solid (only had to check the map twice.)

Fiery Gizzard is smooth and easy til about a mile or so past the first bridge. After that you'll be doing a rock scramble until you get to the turn off for Raven's Point. One word: if you're out there in the cold and rain, take your break further back from the overlook, as the wind will break your heat bubble and hit you hard after being in the cleft.

Heading back on Dog Hole is easy, and a welcome cool down after ~3 mi. of scramble.

Only one bad spot right now: had no choice but to go into ankle deep mud due to what looks to be a mudslide and a fallen tree that took out a chunk of path as it slid into the water. Also had to cross several streams, but that was probably just the rain.

A tough one in full packs. We were preparing for a long trek later in the fall. Rock fields are persistent. Wear solid boots and pack light.

However, worth the effort to see the river in those settings. At one point water disappeared into a karat feature only to return further downstream.

On balance - a challenging trail through beautiful place.

Great trail to day hike. About 5 hours return, up the Fiery Gizzard and down the Dog Hole. Lots of rock scrambling which made it fun and a good steep climb out of the gulch (but it’s not too long a climb). Beautiful scenery walking alongside the stream. Nice views from Ravens Point. Interesting how much the temp changes from down by the stream to up on the ridge. Loved it.

The bolder field with test you. Best to wear boots. The climb out of the gulf is steep. Be ready.
I love this trail and the complete Fiery Gizzard Gulf.
Pack water.
The view from Ravins Point is something you will remember!
Don't forget to stop by Warner's Overlook on the Dog Hole Trail.
Thi is part of the top 25 trails in the US and it's easy to see why. If you agree please donate to the parks to help keep it alive. And pick up any trash you find. I did find some to carry back myself.
I will be back!

this trail is TOUGH. My dad and I went hiked the Gizzard trail up to the point where you can go back down the Dog Hole trail. 75% of the trail going up is straight rocks so be sure to wear shoes with A LOT of ankle support because every 30 seconds your ankles are going to be tested by nature. It is a very challenging, long hike so if you plan to make the whole loop so just prepare yourself. The trail itself is beautiful but because of how difficult it was, i’m not sure if i’d ever do it again. It took us 7 hours to make the whole thing and we only stopped 2 or 3 times to rest. Also, having a walking stick is big help going up those rocks. We just cut our own sticks from inside the woods so don’t waste your money buying one. Good luck!!

We went Labor Day weekend 2018 and just did the short loop with all the smaller falls... we took kids ages 6-10 and they had a great time jumping in the water and hiking. Safety first: my husband got in the water first and made sure what the depth was before the kids jumped!
Beautiful trail! So peaceful and was fun for the kids as well! We just did a shorter loop 4miles or so...

Awesome...We know why it is one of the USAs top hikes

Most scenic and peaceful trail I've ever hiked.

This was a beautiful hike I took with my 16 year old son and 50 lb dog. We went in the morning so we could finish the trail well before sunset, so started about 9 am. I am so happy I consulted all trails before going, because some other reviewers mentioned that they didn’t bring enough water. I took 108 oz split between our backpacks, and we drank it all. Other reviews mention a section which has large jagged rocks, and that it would be easy to twist an ankle on those. I second that. Hiking boots strongly encouraged.

Our hike was last year, and I can’t wait to hit this trail again in the fall.

very cool and gorgeous trail. very difficult at times. Definitely a quad and glute workout with all the steps. waterfalls are amazing

Great trail but it's closed past Sycamore Falls which was only around 2 miles in. Looking forward to going back after the gas line has been repaired.

Most of the trail is meh, the falls are great. Be sure to keep going back until you see the large drop off that’s impassable.

Actually backpacked this last summer. We brought our dog and I would recommend staying on the top of the ridge to ravens point if you’re hiking from sycamore falls. Hiking into the valley is quite treacherous with all the boulders, especially for a dog.

Great trail, but difficult for older and beginners. Enjoyed it!!!

Fiery Gizzard trail from Sycamore Falls to Ravens Point closed till August 1st.

Very worthwhile trail. Loved the challenge!

Beautiful trail! But the lower fiery gizzard trail and dog head loop are closed. They believe until June 1st. So all you can do is the Grundy day loop. Loved it beautiful. But just a 2-3 mile easy hike to sycamore falls

I loved everything about this trail, as soon as I got there I could hear the water flowing. The whole trail was beautiful & there was a view of the water every step of the way. There is a part where it gets kinda rocky but it’s not too bad. I’m definitely going back and walking the longer trail before summer is over!

**UNTIL AUG 1: The sections past Sycamore Falls are closed for pipeline maintenance. (Per the signage out there)

The part of the Fiery Gizzard to Sycamore Falls is lush, beautiful and cool with a lot of Hemlocks throughout.

Such an amazing and beautiful trail! It really does have everything if you can tough out the 10 miles. It does get somewhat technical at points, so I think the "hard" rating is appropriate. Give yourself about 6 hours to complete it if you can keep a pretty good pace.

Amazing trail! Challenging, but so beautiful!! One of the best hikes I've been on so far!

I’m not sure why this site has the trail at 9.1 miles. This is the 2nd time I have completed the trail and I get right at 10 miles each time. Once again, the trail was amazing. Late March, started in the morning at about 45 degrees and the temp never got above 55 degrees. It was perfect hiking weather, but really chilly at Raven’s Point. We did the trail counter-clockwise and went through the Gizzard first. It’s tough to enjoy Raven’s Point when you’re pretty exhausted. Next time I’ll try this trail starting with Dog Hole first and finishing in the Gizzard. Didn’t need as much water with cooler temps, but if you have a small Helinox chair, I would recommend bringing it. I’m going to pick up a couple for the next trip. It would be amazing to be able to sit next to the creek for a while and enjoy the peace and quiet for a while. Can’t wait to do it again!

Had an amazing hike there, one of the most challenging I've been on in a long time... well marked trail...