Fiery Gizzard Trail to Raven's Point

Fiery Gizzard Trail to Raven's Point is a 9.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Tracy City, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

cave

This is a very difficult trail - be prepared and bring plenty of water. Although dogs are allowed to use this trail, users have reported that the rock scrambling can be quite difficult for them. This trail located in Grundy Forest State Natural Area at South Cumberland State Park offers spectacular views of rock formations, cascading streams, waterfalls, rocky gorges, panoramic overlooks and lush woodland.

Did not have time to do the whole trail, just to Ravens point and back, but was a beautiful 10 miles. I agree with everyone else, do it counterclockwise. Unfortunately no wildlife to see just birds to hear.

By far the hardest trail I have ever experienced in TN. Believe all the people when they say it is DIFFICULT. Endless rocks and stairs. I honestly don't see the need to go see all the waterfalls up close on side trails, the trail takes you by enough water ways and waterfalls. If you bring a water filter, you'll have plenty of places to refill your bottle. We hiked the Fiery Gizzard Trail, Ravens Point, Camped at Small Wilds, and entered the park from Foster Falls. There is a $20 car ride you can get if you want to hike one way and come back to your car, or take two cars instead.. I would recommend starting at the north entrance if you are going to do it all in one day, because it has the most amount of rocks. This really isn't a loop trail. There is no camping half way through. We are all very sore today but happy we did it. Watch for incoming weather too. The campground was really large and had lots of small wood, but not a lot of large logs to chose from. Good luck!

far out lmho GLUTEALS OF STEEEL ...WHOSE 62yo LmHO

Beautiful waterfalls!

This was hands down one of the most difficult trails I have done so far, however, this has been the most beautiful hike thus far. Once you pass the water falls on the fiery gizzard side it is very tough and rocky. You eventually come to a breathtaking ravens point. The dog head side coming back down is easier, but still difficult. Plan for a good hike and bring water.

Beautiful but challenging trail. Well worth the effort!

Super fun train! It’s definitely something to work up to, I wouldn’t recommend it for beginners or anyone not physically prepared. Although, it’s very scenic and fun to explore!

Awesome overall trail run/hike. Beautiful views and several falls along Route.

breathtaking beauty stepping stones tewww heaven man

AMAZING!!!!!

This is the most beautiful trail I’ve hiked in the Southeast. The scenery is unmatched. We realized rather quickly why this trail is rated as hard. It is very technical and a slow go because you have to be careful not to injure yourself. There’s many, many slippery exposed tree roots. There’s also a lot of rock scrambling. We didn’t finish the loop because we didn’t allow enough time and conditions along the creek side got very muddy at one point with mud so deep that it almost went over and into my boots. It was very slippery. Allow yourself a lot of time to complete this trail and watch your footing at all times. That being said, you won’t find a more beautiful trail around.

Very rocky terrain but definitely has some good views.

This is my 4th time doing this hike since it opened and while the trail markers have gotten so much better since opening — it seems that recent rains have washed out some of the trails and made them also very muddy and slippery so where good shoes and be cautious. That being said the waterfalls were gorgeous today!

I usually take doghole up to ravenspoint on the way up and fiery gizzard trail onthe way back from ravens point to break it up a little or vice versus. We did doghole to ravens up today and fiery gizzard back and like I mentioned above— it was very very muddy and slippery so if you go in the next few days be cautious and watch trail markers—but this is hands down one of my favorites and always will be.

Was extremely wet when we went. Would not recommend to beginner hikers. At one point we had to use a rope I just happened to have in pack because the trail had been so worn down and destroyed by previous hikers that morning. Very rewarding though if you make it to ravens point and finish the loop.
With that being said best 11.5 miles of my life.

I went when it was very wet and the fiery gizzard was pretty brutal, but totally worth it. I took fiery gizzard to ravens point and then the dog hole trail back down. The scenery is awesome.

Beautiful but extremely muddy making it a hard hike. Found it hard to keep on the trail because so much of the trail was blocked. We did not make the loop and turned around making our hike 11 miles.
Rocky is putting it mildly.
Would like to do this again in dry weather.

Fantastic and challenging hike. It was extremely muddy today and made the trail pretty treacherous. Hiking sticks made a huge difference.

To echo other reviews, Fiery Gizzard is a rock festival almost the whole way through the gulf. You'll want to be sure footed and a trekking pole or two is a near necessity. This is mainly what makes it "hard" as the elevation changes are pretty minimal. After the climb up the boulders are fewer, and Dog Hole is pretty clear until it drops back down.
The trail is well marked by a combination of tree tags and paint. It gets a lot of traffic so pretty well worn as well.
There are some interesting rock formations, the river has several falls from medium to small, and a couple of good swimming holes. Not much in the way of views even with the leaves off until Ravens Point. Dog Hole has a couple of overlooks as well.

We did this trail Fiery Gizzard up to Ravens Point and then Dog Hole Trail back down. There were areas of the trail that were not well marked due to down trees. Very rocky terrain. We definitely felt a sense of accomplishment when we finished in 7.5 hours. Beautiful scenery along the trail.

One of my new favorite trails! Challenging but the views DO NOT disappoint! Absolutely gorgeous.

I've done the Fiery Gizzard to Raven's Point twice. It does not disappoint. I suggest you take the Fiery Gizzard trail out and return on the Dog Hole Trail. Your quads and knees will appreciate it.

I've also done the Savage Gulf trail referenced in the review below. I will agree that the climb out of the Savage Gulf is harder.

My last trip to the Fiery Gizzard was November 3, 2018. On my first trip, which was in early May, 2018, I only recall missing one turn and I quickly realized I was off trail, back tracked to last marker and picked up the trail again pretty easily. On this last trip the there were several large trees down on the trail and I missed several turns, At least twice I caught up with other people who had stopped to look around for trail markers. Maybe it was the downed trees, maybe it was because of all the leaves on the ground, I don't know. But something was making the trail disappear at times. This is not to say the trail isn't well marked - it is. You have to look for white tree markers. A lot of the trail is rocky. Full of rocks. boulder size rocks. If you don't feel like you are on the trail, go back to the last white tree marker and look again. It would be hard to get completely turned around on this trail. But the trail does seem to disappear at times.

This one's definitely worth the effort. The scenery is beautiful, but rugged. The terrain is very rocky through the gulf. I hiked down through the gulf and returned along the rim via the Dog Hole Trail after Raven's point, as the map here suggests. After climbing out of the gulf (this is the hardest part - pretty much straight uphill), the return trip is pretty easy. Be careful of loose rocks in the gulf, and pay attention to the trail markers. I hiked this trail alone and got turned around a few times. The trail markers are hard to spot in some places. The view from Raven's Point is magnificent. The point sticks out into the gulf, so you're surrounded by expansive views on 3 sides, and there's plenty of space, so it doesn't feel crowded even when other people are there.

If you've hiked through the Big Creek loop at Savage Gulf, this route is very similar. I think Savage Gulf is harder than Fiery Gizzard, but based on the reviews for both, it seems like there are mixed opinions on that.

Not for the faint of heart, but oh-so rewarding!!!

(TL;DR Great workout. Go counterclockwise. You'll have rough trail and lots of scrambles on the way out with a good, hard ascent. Dog Hole on the way back will be a welcome cool down.)

Fiery Gizzard is smooth and easy til about a mile or so past the first bridge. After that you'll be doing a rock scramble until you get to the ascent to Raven's Point.

Heading back on Dog Hole is easy, and a welcome cool down after ~3 mi. of scramble.

Do be aware that, when it rains, you'll be going through streams almost every five minutes, both in the cleft and on the rim.

A tough one in full packs. We were preparing for a long trek later in the fall. Rock fields are persistent. Wear solid boots and pack light.

However, worth the effort to see the river in those settings. At one point water disappeared into a karat feature only to return further downstream.

On balance - a challenging trail through beautiful place.

Great trail to day hike. About 5 hours return, up the Fiery Gizzard and down the Dog Hole. Lots of rock scrambling which made it fun and a good steep climb out of the gulch (but it’s not too long a climb). Beautiful scenery walking alongside the stream. Nice views from Ravens Point. Interesting how much the temp changes from down by the stream to up on the ridge. Loved it.

The bolder field with test you. Best to wear boots. The climb out of the gulf is steep. Be ready.
I love this trail and the complete Fiery Gizzard Gulf.
Pack water.
The view from Ravins Point is something you will remember!
Don't forget to stop by Warner's Overlook on the Dog Hole Trail.
Thi is part of the top 25 trails in the US and it's easy to see why. If you agree please donate to the parks to help keep it alive. And pick up any trash you find. I did find some to carry back myself.
I will be back!

this trail is TOUGH. My dad and I went hiked the Gizzard trail up to the point where you can go back down the Dog Hole trail. 75% of the trail going up is straight rocks so be sure to wear shoes with A LOT of ankle support because every 30 seconds your ankles are going to be tested by nature. It is a very challenging, long hike so if you plan to make the whole loop so just prepare yourself. The trail itself is beautiful but because of how difficult it was, i’m not sure if i’d ever do it again. It took us 7 hours to make the whole thing and we only stopped 2 or 3 times to rest. Also, having a walking stick is big help going up those rocks. We just cut our own sticks from inside the woods so don’t waste your money buying one. Good luck!!

We went Labor Day weekend 2018 and just did the short loop with all the smaller falls... we took kids ages 6-10 and they had a great time jumping in the water and hiking. Safety first: my husband got in the water first and made sure what the depth was before the kids jumped!
Beautiful trail! So peaceful and was fun for the kids as well! We just did a shorter loop 4miles or so...