Fiery Gizzard - Grundy To Foster Falls

Fiery Gizzard - Grundy To Foster Falls is a 11.4 mile point-to-point trail located near Tracy City, Tennessee that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking.

Point to Point

We just completed this trail and I have to say it was incredible. The trails are marked very well and the work put into making some of the steep trails passable are incredible. It has more waterfalls in the 13 mile stretch than any trail I ever hiked. It isn't a trail for a beginner thinking it will be an easy stretch. But the effort is well worth the views you will see. Great trail and I know for certain I will be back.

I begin with a late start . Around 1:00 and found that I didn't have enough daylight to reach the Small Wilds campground. I also decided to hike the lower creek trail and not the Dog Hole trail and found the trail along the creek to be very difficult terrain.. My normal hiking speed was cut in half as I traversed the rocky and windy path along the creek when finally reaching the small wilds camp I was so tired I pitched my tent and went to sleep instantly. The short and moderate hike to foster falls was not bad at all ..just a small taste of the trail with no deep gorges to climb in and out of ..
Now With the bad out of the way I'd like to say that it was among some of the most spectacular views Iv seen in Tennessee.. I live only a few hours away and Iv hiked a lot of trails and I have never been on a hike that gave you so much to look at and experience. With the overlook views and water falls it was like a post card photo around every corner .. One of the reasons I took so long to hike the first day was that I wanted to stop and take a photo every 100 yards .. Within the first mile from the Grundy trail head you will see Tennessee at its most beautiful. The trail altho hard to hike because of the steep climbs . The trail itself was very well maintained.. This is a hike you should plan and enjoy .. But you should have a plan it's not a hike to hike on a whim ..this trail is savage but beautiful

I cannot believe this trail has so few reviews. I am partially to blame as I completed this hike a few years ago (time does indeed fly). I hiked it from Tracy City to the Foster Falls. While this hike can be done in a day I unexpectedly had more free time on my hands than I had planned for so I decided to hike from the start point to the Small Wild Camp Area and spend the night there, then finished at the Falls where my vehicle was parked the next day. The logistics of the car shuttle are fairly easy as there are local shuttle options but definitely need to be addressed or it would make for a long return walk. I purposely did this hike mid-week for the solitude and was not disappointed as I did not see a single person on the trail. I rate this true Tennessee Trail as a Five Fiddle trail and should not be missed by any half way serious hiker living within half a parsec of South Cumberland.

This is a beautiful hike, there are several waterfalls and overlooks but be warned there are several steep gorges but that's not the difficult part.....a large portion of the trail between ravens point and the fiery gizzard trail head is nothing but rock fields, this makes for very slow and difficult hiking. We are a pretty adventurous couple and neither of us were having fun navigating these rocky "trails".
There is a guy named Troy that offers rides between the trail heads for $10. His number is posted at both trials heads but if you are like me and forget it you can call the park and they have it also.

We stared at foster falls and camped at small wilds.
This portion of the trail was a breeze, there are some waterfalls and scenic overlooks as soon as you leave the foster falls parking lot. It's only about 2.3 miles to small wilds. The small wilds camp area is nice, the spots are spread out and there is a small river nearby and a primitive out house if you need it. The next morning we headed out on our way to ravens point then out to the fiery gizzard trail head. The trail starts nice and easy before it takes an sharp turn off the side of the mountain and steeply descents in to a beautiful hemlock Forrest in the gorge. Probably should have turned around after the gorge and went back but we didn't.
After the ascent out of the gorge there are several miles of flat trail through the middle of the Forrest. This is actually a pretty morning section. Not a lot to see here. Then you go through a series of gorges with beautiful waterfalls. The trail even goes behind a waterfall at one point. This is a nice section of trail on the way to ravens point. Once you get to ravens point it's a .4 mile hike out to the overlook. We were already feeling the 7 miles we had just hiked so we dropped our packs and walked out to see the overlook. It's a nice overlooks. Would be beautiful in the fall. This would be a good place for a camping area but I was told the closed it down.
Back the to get out packs and continue the 4.5 miles to the grundy trail head. This is where is really started to suck. The trail starts down and quickly the trail disappears and you are navigating rock fields looking for white blazes. This is extremely slow and difficult hiking. I would guess we moved around .5 - maybe 1 mile and hour. And we are fairly fit and athletic people. At some point the trail meets the river and you go through a nice little wooded area. But honestly I don't remember the beauty because we were so sick of the dam rocks and ready for it to be over. Several hours later we finally reached the trailhead. Both miserable and hungry.

Very exciting very very rugged lots of boulders lots of waterfalls long day of hiking

Eeeeek, love this trail! I didn't do the whole thing because I wasn't set on hiking all the back to my car, and this was a day trip for me. There is a lot to see on this trail, and tons of swimming holes, rock formations, and well good ol hiking scenery. I think it can get a bit challenging from what I did but it was peaceful. Not many people once I got a couple of miles in, and eventually I was on my own. Just take some bug spray, and some grub!

Sunday, May 22, 2016