Falls Branch Trail

Falls Branch Trail is a 2.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Tellico Plains, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Definitely a moderate hike. The falls were very full and my teenagers had a great time exploring!

So yea this is definitely an interesting trail. 75% of it is easy as pie... 25% is VERY DIFFICULT. When you think you’re to the part the reviews say is difficult, you’re not even there yet.

I wore my baby on this hike and had great difficulty getting down and then back up I actually had to pause to catch my breath. I did not bring water because it was a moderately rated hike and short, but I should have! It is almost impossible to not slip getting to the waterfall so definitely use the roots to help ease yourself down.

There is snow and ice near the falls themselves and they’re truly beautiful and much larger than they appear in photos. Enjoy!

Took us 40 minutes exactly to get to the falls and 40 minutes exactly to get back to the car.

While the first 3/4 miles are unremarkable, the last 1/4 mile is well worth the time and effort.

This was a difficult trail. Would not recommend for children. It was worth the hike, but it was steep in places and had to make special note as to where to place footing. Amazing nature, foliage, fauna...ect...This Hike took us about 2 1/2 hours.The Falls were very pretty!

It's a fairly short hike, but it does get steep heading down and up again. There are places where the footing is tricky--roots, rocks, slicks. But the falls are lovely. Had a quiet day with no one else around, so solitude factor was good as well.

Pretty easy trail until you get toward the waterfall. Gets a little steep going down. Getting back up was the worst but the waterfall is absolutely beautiful.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Great half a day hike! Waterfall absolutely spectacular. Moderate hike are some tricky parts you have to climb up to the waterfall.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

great hike! very steep the last 1/2 mile beautiful falls

Sunday, March 05, 2017

a beautiful waterfalls for sure. a bit overgrown with laurels. it is is a easy hike, except for the last 1/4 mile, it is brutal, coming back out. it is worth the effort.

Monday, February 27, 2017

Great trail. Seeing the falls is worth it.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Great hike.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Rough hike out but we'll worth the trip for the view of the falls

Sunday, May 08, 2016

Fav hike so far!!!

Sunday, February 14, 2016

Completed this trail today in 25 degree weather with 6-8 inches of snow. Awesome scenery with snow covering every branch in the forest. When my wife and I made it to the waterfall I was able to climb all of the way up on the ice and stand next to the falls. After the steep climb back out both of our pants were frozen all of the way up to our knees. We were lucky enough that someone the day before had made the trek and left us a great path to follow, otherwise I think it may have been fairly easy to lose our way in the steep decline before the creek.

Thursday, November 12, 2015

This was an awesome day hike. There was some challenges getting close the the falls but well worth it. the trail was very muddy and slick in places and climbing back out a little tricky.

Wednesday, April 01, 2015

It is an easy hike to the falls and the hike is worth it. Beautiful! There was still some ice and snow around the falls. Loved the giant roots of the trees close to the falls. The last downhill part takes you on the stream and there is a water crossing before going up close to the falls.

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Easy trail until it heads downhill. Once downhill, it becomes a moderate to strenuous trail. Nice trail - path goes between two boulders - very neat :-)

Thursday, August 29, 2013

awesome and moderate to difficult. waterfall. virgin forests.

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Great Day Hike. Last .4 of trail to the falls is treacherous when wet. Had my 5 year old with me and she made it just fine.

Monday, March 11, 2013

From Madisonville, head east and south on Hwy 68. I believe there is a sign pointing to Tellico Plains. Hwy 68 heads into Tellico Plains where you will take a left on Hwy 165 - the Cherohala Skyway. Drive 21 miles up the Skyway to an unmarked pull off parking area on the left. You will have just crossed a high bridge.

Take Falls Branch Trail #87 and in just under a mile, look for and take a side trail to the right (currently blocked by two large downed trees). If you miss the side trail, you'll continue back up to the Skyway at the previously mentioned bridge. The 1/2 mile side trail heads down towards Falls Branch (this is where is becomes strenuous). The waterfall is 60-70 feet sheer drop, it was wonderful.

Monday, September 24, 2012

Trail is challenging. We went on September 1. It was overcast and very foggy and brisk. It made for a awesome hike. It is all down going and therefore the climb out was strenuous. Very peaceful and quiet. We felt like the only people on the planet. Exactly what we needed for a short get away to rejuvenate. We took a five year old. However, she isn't typical. She is an amazing hiker and loves challenging hikes!

Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Great hike for all ages. Nice falls and
Beautiful view. We saw a nice bear the first trip!!

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

I am not an experienced hiker (yet) and I managed this trail even though I am a bit out of shape (not for long). Not to mention I wasn't really prepared, either. In hind sight I wish I had the following: waterproof hiking boots that give some ankle support, a walking stick or trekking pole, more water, a bandana or rag to keep sweat from dripping in my eyes and a first aid kit. Fortunately I did not need the first aid kit but I wouldn't hike this trail again without one. Also, we didn't see any bears but the brush is thick, there isn't many hikers on this trail and you don't have a lot of visibility so if you came in contact with one it would likely be a close encounter. So...talk loudly, bang some sticks, sing etc. to let your presence be known and hopefully you won't have to worry about coming face to face with one (of course you will be chasing off all other wildlife in the process). There are some steep, slippery spots and if you want to rest or have a picnic on one of the flat rocks near the falls be prepared to do some climbing! As you make your ascent (to the falls) the rocks are very, very slippery so stay low and slow (on the way down I scooted on my behind quite a bit)! Haha that was our phrase of the day! You will most likely have the waterfall to yourself so enjoy the seclusion and intimacy of nature!!! It is a really beautiful experience!

Wednesday, January 04, 2012

My wife and I walked West Rattlesnake Trail on Christmas Day 2011 to Falls Branch Falls. 1.4 Miles from origin to the falls. The Trail number is FS trail 87. I have loaded additional photos of the trail and falls to the orginal group of photos. The last 100 yards or so of this hike are really walking through a steeply descending stream bed at this time of year, particularly after a hard rainfall.

My wife and I live in Tellico Plains and our business will be adopting this trail as it needs some modest chainsaw work at this time. The heavy rainfalls that made Falls Branch Falls more resplendent have also downed a few trees. That being stated, the trail is still readily passable and the falls views as you apporach the last steep incline are wonderful.... all the way till you feel the mist on your face. I have placed a link below provided by the Cherokee Hiking Club with maps and details of this hike that I think will be helpful to others.

recorded Falls Branch Trail