East Lakeshore Trail: Sinking Creek Branch

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(92)
Greenback, Tennessee

East Lakeshore Trail: Sinking Creek Branch is a 8.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Greenback, Tennessee that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 8.4 miles Elevation Gain: 859 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Love the trail very maintained, if your wanting you up your mileage I suggest this one. Also great for trail running due to not a lot of roots and rocks. Good variety of incline and decline and all in the shade. However my mileage was 8.80

Heavily wooded, very secluded. Close to the water. Lots of wildlife and cows! You will have to avoid cow pies! 2 decent size hills to get up and down. Cool old abandoned truck along the way. Nice hike!

Excellent trail, came across a couple of humans and quite a few bovine.

Great trail conditions. Up and down. Good workout. Took my GSD he loved it.

Great well marked trail runs along the lake. Not too difficult, on the easier side of moderate

This is a very good trail so close to home. A true gem with awesome lake views. The moderate difficulty level listed is accurate in my opinion.

Fun trail. Lots of pups of out and about. Perfect for people getting out from under the quarantine order.

Great trail. Marked and easy to follow. Beautiful scenery of the lake. Nice bench overlooking lake- perfect for picnic!

I give the trail and it’s maintenance five stars hands down. It’s an easy trail that is well marked. There is enough elevation changes to get a good cardio workout but not so much as to be physically challenging. It is a full 9 miles if you do the entire trail. The pet owners on the other hand, how about a leash?? I’m not required to like your dog nor should I have to endure being barked at, lunged at, and jumped on. This is getting out of hand, please be responsible for your pet.

Outstanding trail! After hiking all over the area the last week, this was probably my favorite. Clocked in at 8.4 round trip. Beautifully maintained, well marked. Never once thought "am I still on the trail? am I going the right way?" as is the case with many trails around here. Challenging enough to burn off lunch, yet enjoyable, peaceful. Didn't see a single other person, low to zero human noise.

Good trail- interesting elevation changes that got the HR up but we’re not unmanageable. 60+ temps, dressed in layers. Took my fleece off the first mile and did not need it again. Trail was marked, but leaves and mud made it a bit slippers in spots.

Such a great trail, super easy. Pretty flat with tons of pretty scenery. My pups & I loved it!

Very easy hike with kids a doggos.

The trail is partially blocked by downed trees, and large sections are slightly difficult to discern. White blazes are frequent, so just pay attention to the trees when the path is uncertain. There were dozens of fresh cow patties along the trail after the third mile. We heard great horned owls at dusk and saw a few rabbits.

Great trail, perfect for trail running. Good clear path, lots of shade. Not huge variations in scenery but you can enjoy a dip in the river which is pretty much along most of the trail.

I’d say more moderate that easy. 9 miles

Tue May 07 2019

Nice trail with lots of elevation and nice views. Some overgrowth after the first 2 miles. Tons of poison ivy and poison oak so wear long pants/socks and stay on the trail. The trail is pretty narrow, only wide enough for one person in most areas.

Sun Apr 28 2019

Nice Trail. No traffic.

Sat Apr 06 2019

Easy enough to be fun but still a workout and not crowded at all!

Sun Mar 31 2019

this was beautiful. so many wildflowers and a great workout

Thu Mar 28 2019

Took my 10 year old son on his first trail hike. I wasn't expecting lots of miles, and I believe he did amazing for his first trip!

Sun Jan 06 2019

i love this trail. I've been hiking it for a few years now. it's becoming more popular lately so if you don't want to run into people go on off times, like weekdays or early mornings on weekends. i take my dogs and they love it too.

Sat Jul 14 2018

Hiked this trail a few weeks ago. The trail itself is good and would be considered easy by most. Some nice views, some heavily wooded sections and some rolling hills. There are some homes nearby and I had an unpleasant encounter with loose dogs after coming off the trail near the Glendale Trailhead. It is a rural area and this could be a concern. I recommend being prepared for such an encounter. This trail section is listed as near Centersville, TN (a wide spot in the road) near Greenback in Loudon County. It is a section of the East Lakeshore Trail that runs along the eastern shore (imagine that) of the Little Tennessee River & Tellico Lake. The whole trail is about 29.5 miles long with trailheads at various points along the trail. The Southern terminus is north of Vonore just off US411 and the Northern terminus is located east of Lenoir City off of US321. Construction of the trail is a joint venture between WATeR and the TVA. A PDF map and more info is available at www.tellicowater.org.

Mon Mar 26 2018

Great trail. Some hills and valleys that make it difficult, but a great workout. At the end of the trail is a barbed wire fence and cows, and we turned around there.

Sun Mar 19 2017