Eagle Point Overnight Trail

Eagle Point Overnight Trail is a 8.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Linden, Tennessee that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

We started from the playground and went towards shelter 2 instead of shelter 1 as our original plan was to stay at shelter 1. We got to shelter 2 relatively quickly with little to zero difficulty even though everyone in our trio were wearing 25-35 lb packs. We met the another backpacker there that we got a long with really well and decided to stay the night at shelter two so we could enjoy the great views longer. The park is named Mousetail Landing for a reason. Our tent which was in perfect condition before we set it up was no longer when we woke up. Mice chewed through our bathtub floor and some of the mesh which is sad but should be pretty easy to fix. My tip would be even though there aren't any bears to go ahead and hang your food to keep the mice from destroying your expensive backpacking gear.

Because day 1 was so unassuming we took our time packing up camp and sat on the cliffs for a couple hours then left around 10:30 am heading towards shelter 1. This trek was much harder coming from this direction. We spent at least an hour going uphill in one stretch. It took us 2 hours to go a mile and half which is very unusual for us. So make sure you have enough time and WATER if you plan to go this way. When we eventually got back to the playground and to our car it was around 4:00 pm and we were exhausted. We did take about a 30-40 minute break at shelter 1 to eat lunch but it still took a lot longer than we expected. After talking to the ranger when we finished he said that we went the hardest way to do and complete the trail.

Lastly the wildlife is everywhere and that was wonderful. We only saw one other person on the trail and it was 4th of July weekend which is a major pro. Shelter 2 is WAY better than shelter 1 so get that one. Overall it was a good trip and hike but you will be in the green tunnel 98% of the time.

We did a fun overnight, staying at shelter 2. This trail has times where it really feels challenging. There is only one real view, which is off the cliffs at the shelter 2 camp spot. My favorite part was that the entire time our trio was there, we only saw on other person, who was also overnighting at shelter 2. There was also a ton of wildlife. Tons of frogs hopping on the trail. We also ran into 3 armadillos, a snake, and other assorted wildlife. The trail is clearly marked, so you can't get lost.

One of the best hikes I've gone to since I've been here. Trails were well maintained and were clearly marked. Great scenery and got some great photos out of it.

This trail is not a good biking trail. It is not maintained at all. The trail is covered in sticks and logs, and the leaf path makes it hard to get any traction. There were some points where I would lose the trail because it is barely visible. We ended up getting on the blue hiking trail to ride back which was better groomed but too steep to bike. So we pushed the bikes up and rode back down which was doable but very tough. This is a great hiking trail with beautiful scenery, but I would never bring my bike back here unless the trail was cleared.

Beautiful hike on a nicely maintained trail. Amazing views of the river. Lots of ups and downs. worth the climbs. Rangers at Mousetail are terrific.

Well marked trails especially from the trail head to number 2 campsite. Unfortunately we didn't get to stay over night but would definitely recommend breaking the 8 mile loop in half. Back side has some huge hill that make for some work to keep a good pace going. The Park Rangers are super helpful, they are top notch!

This trail is a bit harder than moderate if you have the weight of an overnight on your back. Lots of large hills that go pretty much straight up. A few switchback but more of them just go straight over the hill and these aren't small, rolling hills. The hike itself is rather boring, not much in the way of scenic views or anything. But the shelters are top notch and the overnight camp was very enjoyable. The only real view is the one from shelter 2. I'm in no hurry to do this one again.

Went this past weekend it was a great overnight hike!!! The trail is not too bad going up or coming down! The view is amazing! There was a no burn on the park so we couldn't have a fire outside, so we had to use the stove inside the shelter which was okay! Can't wait to go back! Saw a bald eagle in the morning when I woke up!! Make sure you get cabin 2 if you want the view overlooking the river!

Very good trail. Very wooded and several things for all the family.

Best view at cabin 2! Only 2 cabins and camp sites so Be sure to register before hand! Good clean well marked trails! Saw wildlife! Copperheads, hognosed adder, geese, squirrels, armadillos and deer!

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Our Boy Scout Troop took 10 boys with 4 adults up to Shelter #2 for our first ever backpacking hike. In hindsight, we were a bit overly ambitious. Great experience and beautiful trails. If we were going again tomorrow, we would take a lot more water and hike from Trail Head to Shelter #1 and then to Shelter #2. A LOT more difficult when hiking from Trail Head to Shelter #2 and then to Shelter #1. Hence the reason of numbering them I suppose. Park Rangers were extremely kind and helpful.

Friday, April 15, 2016

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Great hike. Would love to get back out there. Make sure to stay at Shelter #2.

Most of my commentary is on the video at https://faithdeblistered.wordpress.com/2015/07/01/mousetail-landing-state-park/.

Some points I’d like to make are:

Difficulty: moderate (can be strenuous for some)
Miles: roughly 12 miles (this includes hiking mountain bike trails to make a figure 8)
Marking: Clearly marked but easily confusing since mountain bike trails criss cross the trail in numerous places
Shelter: Stay at shelter #2. Shelter #1 has no view.
Terrain: dirt, mossy, rocky; bridges can be slippery if recently rained
Water sources: Take plenty of water. Hardly any water unless it rains
Trail conditions: Lots of blowdowns and debris on the trail
Nothing but ups and downs. Hardly (but some) flat hiking

Sunday, December 13, 2015

we enjoyed this trail definitely more than a moderate trail. enjoyed our stay at the shelter by the river. The other shelter not much of a view. also think this trail is a little further than it said. we will definately be back to hike this trail again.

Thursday, September 17, 2015

It was very clean and the trail was very easy to follow. I stopped periodically to look at the streams and small creeks.

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Beautiful hike! Especially for the western half of TN. Nice long length. Great view of the river at one of the backcountry camping locations.

Monday, May 11, 2015

I love mouse tail ever single time! I have hiked this trail a few times and always enjoy it. The trail itself is not always perfectly marked. Most of the blazes are great but be really careful when closing on the loop because it's easy to get turned around and end up back at the shelters. There are a few little streams but each one has a bridge so you don't have to get wet unless you want to. I've never encountered more than one or two other people on the trail even in the summer, but I always see plenty of armadillos, which you can get extremely close to before they even look up. There are some strenuous hilly bits of trail but they don't last too long and you can always take breaks. Don't miss the old cemetery. There are lots of graves from the 1800s including a really creepy one that says "he is not dead but only sleeping". Shelter number 2 has the most spectacular view of the river and a great little bluff to take a break so I would say stop there for lunch or choose this shelter if you are going to camp. Definitely a fun and peaceful trail that I would do again and again.