Devil's Racetrack

Devil's Racetrack is a 5.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Caryville, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I underestimated this hike. We went in from the opposite end of Triple Falls, so we saw the Falls on the last part of our hike. The interstate noise is awful. I had read other reviews stating the same. But it isn’t a deterrent for the view once you reach the top. It’s gorgeous. We went in the beginning of August and it was really warm. Don’t forget to pack enough water (I quickly used up my 2L). All in all, really good hike. There is a lot of uphill once you get close to the top (duh) but it’s gradual and definitely possible. And for those of you who like to geocache, there are two on this trail.

Kind of meh for me... I did the Triple falls trail hike before this and didn’t realise it’s actually the last portion of this hike,so if you want the water falls and the view I’d suggest doing that instead.. apart from that not a bad little workout.Annoyingly it was a little overgrown with foliage and I kept running into mini spiderwebs so maybe bring a walking stick as an aid.Probably wouldn’t do it again.

Some nice waterfalls and good views at the top. I remember quite a bit of vandalism along the way. Nice walk if you can erase those parts. That is why I rate a three.

Interesting man made waterfalls—quite a feat of labor and engineering, wonderful overlook. The hike goes a way by the interstate which you have to get used to, and big chunk rock demands focus! But all in all, it’s a great hike.

This is a nice hike! If you just want to see the waterfalls and make it to the top of the racetrack, I suggest parking off of Shelton Hollow Road. The waterfalls are less than half a mile away from the pull off where you park. If you start at the official trailhead you hike alongside the interstate and the noise and smell is distracting.

Beautiful trail and lots to see. Great photo opportunities everywhere.

Nice little hike through the woods. Waterfalls look like a scene out of Narnia when they’re snowy and frozen!

Pretty cool trail. The waterfalls look gnarly frozen.

Nice hike through the woods, it is by the interstate. we went after the fires and the top of the mountain was burnt pretty good. nice views and the waterfalls were cool

next to the interstate so you get some noise pollution. I could see this being snaky in the summer. falls are worth seeing!

I would rank this trail Moderate to Hard. The trail runs beside the interstate highway and the highway sound is distracting. There was no trash on the trail today so it must have been cleaned up since the other reviews. I will go on this trail again.

Great day hike. Parked off Shelton Hollow Road to access trail. Lower section of trail seems to be a local hangout for nearby residents in the area judging by the liter. First 1/3 of hike features a creek and several waterfalls with some smaller climbing sections of rock steps. After crossing the bridge the remaining 2/3 is up the mountain. The elevation features a zig-zag up the side with a mix of stairs and rock steps. Payoff is the rock spine of the mountain with great views. Good place to stop for lunch! Overall up and back down took us 2 hours and 40 minutes. Has plenty of climbing to keep in mind.

The first part of the hike is a little dull, but after a mile or so, the beauty increases tremendously with several waterfalls, wildflowers, and a great overlook on top. It follows the Interstate, so you get that noice, but it doesn't take long to tune it out. The trail is a good workout,as well, but several areas have big loose rock, so care must be taken to avoid injury. It is a good hike overall!

Do you like switchbacks?

The waterfalls below are the best part. They are really neat and you do feel like you’ve stumbled upon a magical cascade of spring water.

The interstate noise can be distracting and locals like to car camp so watch out for broken bottles.

Avoid hiking up from Cove Lake Park! Most maps show the trailhead as being close to Cove Lake....this section is terrible and dangerous.

There is a way to park much closer, basically at the falls. From there you can hike to the top of the ridge is you wish.

Crossing the rocks was the toughest part. It was kinda scary. We didn't go back out the same way. Instead we walked back on the main road. The Falls was gorgeous but we didn't make it to the end. Worth doing at least once to see the falls.

I've hiked this trail once all the way through, and the view at the top is beautiful. However, i've gone just to the waterfalls (Little Egypt) numerous times to jump, swim, and picnic! It's a fun little area! Id recommend this trail for sure!

Sunday, August 20, 2017

I hike often and am able to go on difficult hikes. This hike wasn't necessarily difficult (would be if you didn't hike often). Lots of snakes, spider webs in the middle of the trail constantly had to stop and knock those down to get passed. some people could easily get lost (follow white marks). After all the spiders, snakes, and walking through the thorn infested field, I didn't make it to waterfall/end, but I also fell twice. the waterfall is suppose to be amazing so if you can get passed the difficulties GO FOR IT.

Monday, August 14, 2017

My mother and I completed this hike yesterday, and I'm doing it again tomorrow with a friend. I really enjoyed the view from the rocks at the very top- it seems as if you can see it all. As others have mentioned, the interstate can be heard almost the entire time, but I wasn't really bothered by that. The waterfalls are beautiful and make a great photo or video (if you're interested in that). Also, you can see where the wildfires hit the area last fall as you get closer to the top. The terrain is quite rocky at times with many dips and hills, so it's not a great hike to try if you're not in condition. All in all, I really enjoyed it and will definitely be back.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Cool trail. We went to the waterfall and back to the parking lot and it was 4.43 miles and took us almost 3 hours. We moved along pretty good. The four of us are in pretty good shape, but this is a tougher hike. There were a lot of ups and downs. I'd rate this more on the difficult side than moderate. Unfortunately, the highway is present on the majority of the hike. There were some cool sights on this hike though, such as the waterfall, the bridge over the creek, the huge 150-200 ft of rocks you must cross and the the huge 2-3 ft across cave/hole that we encountered. Enjoy!

Saturday, June 17, 2017

interstate definite buzz kill but kudos to the men and women who built and maintain this slice through the wild. coming back the trail away from the creek at the Rock pile is hard to locate. and the trail across the Rock pile in general is not especially well marked. but otherwise Great hike!

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Only did a little over the first mile of the trail since we started late in the day. First waterfall was dried up but still a pretty hike. Definitely a moderate hike as there is some elevation to the hike.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Not for the faint of heart. That being said me and my 8 yr old completed the trek. There is a shorter route but what fun would that be.

Thursday, April 13, 2017

I enjoyed this hike. It is a moderate climb in spots. This was my first hike in a while but with a couple of stops along the way I made it. Several other hikers on the trail. Beautiful waterfalls.

Thursday, March 30, 2017

The highway takes away from it but the last mile is makes up for it. Beautiful stair step waterfall and past that is the climb to the top where the view is amazing.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Awesome trail but a little noisy since the highway is located near it. All in all it is worth the view and just follow the white marks on the trees if you lose the path

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Easy trail. Nice water fall features first part of the trail. Going to the top of the ridge gets a little rocky and moderate climb at times. Great view when you reach the top.

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Awesome hike! Nicely challenging and beautiful views.

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

good hike with a nice waterfall to reward your efforts, although there is a great deal of trash along the trail so needless to say by the time we got back to the car I was dropping a piece of trash that I had picked up along the way with every step!

Saturday, November 05, 2016

The forest fires really killed the views off to the south. Several downed trees along the way makes it more difficult.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

This trail is nice. There is a handful of trash, but nothing you can't move past. It gets fairly steep the last quarter mile. The view at the end was pretty nice.

Went with four middle school aged boys and three old men, 30-35.