Devil's Racetrack

Devil's Racetrack is a 5.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Caryville, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,512 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The falls are pretty neat to see, they are actually all man made. It was put in place to divert water away from the interstate. Parts of it make nice swimming holes. Continuing the hike up above the falls, the area has been burned out, so trails are badly erroded. Up on top, since the trees are burned out its very hot up on the rock. Cool view, kind of a dime a dozen view, but cool nevertheless.

part of the trail is near the interstate, if you want to skip that portion you can park on Shelton hollow lane and see the waterfalls and go directly to the top. the rest of the hike is rather unremarkable

Gorgeous Waterfalls!!

My husband and I parked at Shelton Hollow Lane. Make sure you don’t put it in apple maps took us to the wrong road ...google maps worked. We had our 2 dogs witch I was scared because it is really steep and they are only 6 months and a year but they loved it. I see what people are saying that the highway being right there but it still beautiful and definitely worth the trip. It’s not over crowded or anything it was beautiful and we had a blast

My fiancé, dog, and I did this hike the other day after work. It ended up being exactly 5.3 miles, but took us around 2.5 hours to complete. The first part of the hike is very disappointing because you hike along the interstate. However, once you hit the waterfalls, it becomes a beautiful hike. There is a parking lot somewhere that you can skip the first part along the interstate. The view is completely stunning! Definitely worth it!

I did this trail alone, because it isn’t child friendly. Straight climb up but so worth it with the view at the end. You can climb the rock and see for miles and miles!

lotta highway noise hence the name. it has a good veiw at the end

The actual overlook and waterfalls are not seen until the very end of the hike. The sound of the interstate can be very annoying but at times you can’t hear it. There are different parking locations to go straight to the waterfall and main overlook so you can skip the majority of the trail if you’d like. Overall not bad hike but not one I will be returning to.

This trail was nice. The moderate rating is fair. The view at the top was spectacular. We hiked in the fall and all the leaves were changing. The waterfall was also nice. My 4 star rating was due to the fact that you are hiking along a major interstate and the noise was not what we were looking for on a hike through the woods.

Like others have said, the interstate being right next to the trail kinda took away some of the great things about this trail. Definitely had some awesome fun parts and some great rock sections. Overall a fun trail and worth the trip. Views at the waterfalls made it worth while.

Sunday, August 05, 2018

I underestimated this hike. We went in from the opposite end of Triple Falls, so we saw the Falls on the last part of our hike. The interstate noise is awful. I had read other reviews stating the same. But it isn’t a deterrent for the view once you reach the top. It’s gorgeous. We went in the beginning of August and it was really warm. Don’t forget to pack enough water (I quickly used up my 2L). All in all, really good hike. There is a lot of uphill once you get close to the top (duh) but it’s gradual and definitely possible. And for those of you who like to geocache, there are two on this trail.

Saturday, May 05, 2018

Kind of meh for me... I did the Triple falls trail hike before this and didn’t realise it’s actually the last portion of this hike,so if you want the water falls and the view I’d suggest doing that instead.. apart from that not a bad little workout.Annoyingly it was a little overgrown with foliage and I kept running into mini spiderwebs so maybe bring a walking stick as an aid.Probably wouldn’t do it again.

Saturday, April 28, 2018

Some nice waterfalls and good views at the top. I remember quite a bit of vandalism along the way. Nice walk if you can erase those parts. That is why I rate a three.

Monday, February 19, 2018

Interesting man made waterfalls—quite a feat of labor and engineering, wonderful overlook. The hike goes a way by the interstate which you have to get used to, and big chunk rock demands focus! But all in all, it’s a great hike.

Friday, February 16, 2018

This is a nice hike! If you just want to see the waterfalls and make it to the top of the racetrack, I suggest parking off of Shelton Hollow Road. The waterfalls are less than half a mile away from the pull off where you park. If you start at the official trailhead you hike alongside the interstate and the noise and smell is distracting.

Sunday, January 21, 2018

Beautiful trail and lots to see. Great photo opportunities everywhere.

Friday, January 19, 2018

Nice little hike through the woods. Waterfalls look like a scene out of Narnia when they’re snowy and frozen!

Wednesday, January 03, 2018

Pretty cool trail. The waterfalls look gnarly frozen.

Monday, November 27, 2017

Nice hike through the woods, it is by the interstate. we went after the fires and the top of the mountain was burnt pretty good. nice views and the waterfalls were cool

Thursday, November 23, 2017

next to the interstate so you get some noise pollution. I could see this being snaky in the summer. falls are worth seeing!

Saturday, November 11, 2017

I would rank this trail Moderate to Hard. The trail runs beside the interstate highway and the highway sound is distracting. There was no trash on the trail today so it must have been cleaned up since the other reviews. I will go on this trail again.

Sunday, October 22, 2017

Great day hike. Parked off Shelton Hollow Road to access trail. Lower section of trail seems to be a local hangout for nearby residents in the area judging by the liter. First 1/3 of hike features a creek and several waterfalls with some smaller climbing sections of rock steps. After crossing the bridge the remaining 2/3 is up the mountain. The elevation features a zig-zag up the side with a mix of stairs and rock steps. Payoff is the rock spine of the mountain with great views. Good place to stop for lunch! Overall up and back down took us 2 hours and 40 minutes. Has plenty of climbing to keep in mind.

Tuesday, September 19, 2017

The first part of the hike is a little dull, but after a mile or so, the beauty increases tremendously with several waterfalls, wildflowers, and a great overlook on top. It follows the Interstate, so you get that noice, but it doesn't take long to tune it out. The trail is a good workout,as well, but several areas have big loose rock, so care must be taken to avoid injury. It is a good hike overall!

Saturday, September 09, 2017

Do you like switchbacks? The waterfalls below are the best part. They are really neat and you do feel like you’ve stumbled upon a magical cascade of spring water. The interstate noise can be distracting and locals like to car camp so watch out for broken bottles. Avoid hiking up from Cove Lake Park! Most maps show the trailhead as being close to Cove Lake....this section is terrible and dangerous. There is a way to park much closer, basically at the falls. From there you can hike to the top of the ridge is you wish.

Sunday, September 03, 2017

Crossing the rocks was the toughest part. It was kinda scary. We didn't go back out the same way. Instead we walked back on the main road. The Falls was gorgeous but we didn't make it to the end. Worth doing at least once to see the falls.

Thursday, August 31, 2017

I've hiked this trail once all the way through, and the view at the top is beautiful. However, i've gone just to the waterfalls (Little Egypt) numerous times to jump, swim, and picnic! It's a fun little area! Id recommend this trail for sure!

Sunday, August 20, 2017

I hike often and am able to go on difficult hikes. This hike wasn't necessarily difficult (would be if you didn't hike often). Lots of snakes, spider webs in the middle of the trail constantly had to stop and knock those down to get passed. some people could easily get lost (follow white marks). After all the spiders, snakes, and walking through the thorn infested field, I didn't make it to waterfall/end, but I also fell twice. the waterfall is suppose to be amazing so if you can get passed the difficulties GO FOR IT.

Monday, August 14, 2017

My mother and I completed this hike yesterday, and I'm doing it again tomorrow with a friend. I really enjoyed the view from the rocks at the very top- it seems as if you can see it all. As others have mentioned, the interstate can be heard almost the entire time, but I wasn't really bothered by that. The waterfalls are beautiful and make a great photo or video (if you're interested in that). Also, you can see where the wildfires hit the area last fall as you get closer to the top. The terrain is quite rocky at times with many dips and hills, so it's not a great hike to try if you're not in condition. All in all, I really enjoyed it and will definitely be back.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Cool trail. We went to the waterfall and back to the parking lot and it was 4.43 miles and took us almost 3 hours. We moved along pretty good. The four of us are in pretty good shape, but this is a tougher hike. There were a lot of ups and downs. I'd rate this more on the difficult side than moderate. Unfortunately, the highway is present on the majority of the hike. There were some cool sights on this hike though, such as the waterfall, the bridge over the creek, the huge 150-200 ft of rocks you must cross and the the huge 2-3 ft across cave/hole that we encountered. Enjoy!

Saturday, June 17, 2017

interstate definite buzz kill but kudos to the men and women who built and maintain this slice through the wild. coming back the trail away from the creek at the Rock pile is hard to locate. and the trail across the Rock pile in general is not especially well marked. but otherwise Great hike!