Devil's Backbone Trail

Devil's Backbone Trail is a 2.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Hampshire, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Division of Natural Areas, Jackson Environmental Field Office, 1625 Hollywood Drive, Jackson TN 38305, phone (731) 512-1369

Very little shade in the winter. The creek area was nice (definitely not a waterfall) but the hike back up was brutal in the sun.

First the bad: there are no waterfalls. There are a couple of slight elevation changes in a small stream, but that's it. There were no views, just woods. The good: the trail was easy. The path was wide and clean and well marked even though it wasn't necessary. The elevation changes were not steep and very manageable. There were a few down trees, but nothing I couldn't just step over. Advice: the creek at the bottom is closer if you go right at the fork. We went left and therefore did the majority of the hike before the little creek, so it was a good resting spot.

Fairly short and easy primitive trail just off the Natchez Trace Parkway. Wooded with a few views. Mostly a nice hike in the woods with a few creeks. Because of some old logging roads that run thru the area, you can accidentally get off-track. Need to keep a look-out for trail markings.

Pretty great trail! Lots of hills ! Freshwater when you finally get to the bottom!!

It was nice, there is a fresh spring about midway you can hydrate with

Nice trail right off Natchez Trace not far from Fall Hollow Falls. Actually helped build this trail several years ago.

Nice day hike. And even the dog liked it.

Awesome hike with lots of scenery!!

Took the family it was a great hike. A little heavy on the bug in the summer.

Nice short hike with some decent inclines. A couple of cool little waterfalls at the bottom. A really sweet yellow and black millipede walking along the trail. Not a lot of frills, just a good clean and primitive hike.

Rocky, thorn pants lining the trail. We found ticks on ourselves and our dogs after the trip. Won't be visiting this one again. Great for someone who just wants to look at nature and isn't bothered by the negatives. No waterfall on the trail. You have to go to the falls overlook, different entry point

Beautiful trail, but was expecting to see a waterfall. There was a tumbling creek halfway that was very serene

This trail was great exercise! It worked my legs with the uphill & downhill paths. Yet, it was easy enough for our 7 children to get through. We were so excited to find the creek with water tumbling over rocks & teensy swimming holes at the end. My children had the whole area to themselves. They did not want to leave!

I'm just starting to hike as a hobby. I have done this trail 3 times in the past 5 weeks. It has a good terrain change to make it challenging and when the trail gets to the bottom of the hollow it is a perfect rest stop by the stream. The first two times I visited, I was the only person there. The second time I saw hoof prints where someone had been riding the trail on horseback. The last time, though, I ran into several other hikers, even "rescuing" a family that got off the trail and could not find it. I had also wandered off the trail by accident, but was aware of it and they followed me back to the last marked tree I could recall seeing. Yay me! So, to summarize: good trail, nice babbling brook at the bottom, not too many other visitors.

Not a lot of water but still a decent hike