Devil's Backbone Trail

Devil's Backbone Trail is a 3.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Hampshire, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Division of Natural Areas, Jackson Environmental Field Office, 1625 Hollywood Drive, Jackson TN 38305, phone (731) 512-1369

Good hiking trail. But we were expecting a waterfall and that was a disappointment. The closest to it was a running creek and water fell over the rocks but it was a far stretch to call that a waterfall. Maybe it was just the time of year??? We did enjoy the trails tho. Fun and pretty!

This trail is a nice walk in the woods. The trail fallows a ridge for a while then drops down to a small stream and back up to the ridge. The trail is marked fairly well.

Pretty views and a partially frozen creek. No waterfall to be found but good time hiking through the woods.

Great trail for running or just a quite hike.

There were no waterfalls. It was a pretty walk through the woods but we didn't see any wildlife so...it was just ok. Peaceful outing with my hiking buddy but not anything special.

I wouldnt it had waterfall but nice hike

Sunday, July 09, 2017

We hiked this trail today about .6 miles in or so and stopped to give the dogs water. Heavy foliage and tree cover that seemed VERY heavy with bugs throughout. After looking down at my leg I noticed 50-60 really small seed ticks that took us back and almost 30 minutes to remove. Our dogs also had them on them too, not to mention the spider webs in my face roughly every 12 feet on the trail. I thought it was okay but maybe better at a different time of year.

Sunday, April 09, 2017

Was a pretty rough hike trail gets narrow at times and a lot of downed trees on the path. Not much scenery just woods and a small stream of water.

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Very little shade in the winter. The creek area was nice (definitely not a waterfall) but the hike back up was brutal in the sun.

Friday, March 17, 2017

First the bad: there are no waterfalls. There are a couple of slight elevation changes in a small stream, but that's it. There were no views, just woods. The good: the trail was easy. The path was wide and clean and well marked even though it wasn't necessary. The elevation changes were not steep and very manageable. There were a few down trees, but nothing I couldn't just step over. Advice: the creek at the bottom is closer if you go right at the fork. We went left and therefore did the majority of the hike before the little creek, so it was a good resting spot.

Monday, March 13, 2017

Fairly short and easy primitive trail just off the Natchez Trace Parkway. Wooded with limited views. Basically a nice hike in the woods with a couple creeks. Because of some old logging roads that run thru the area, you can accidentally get off-track. Need to keep a look-out for trail markings.

Thursday, March 09, 2017

Pretty great trail! Lots of hills ! Freshwater when you finally get to the bottom!!

Monday, February 27, 2017

It was nice, there is a fresh spring about midway you can hydrate with

Tuesday, February 07, 2017

Nice trail right off Natchez Trace not far from Fall Hollow Falls. Actually helped build this trail several years ago.

Monday, November 14, 2016

Nice day hike. And even the dog liked it.

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Awesome hike with lots of scenery!!

Monday, October 10, 2016

Took the family it was a great hike. A little heavy on the bug in the summer.

Monday, July 11, 2016

Nice short hike with some decent inclines. A couple of cool little waterfalls at the bottom. A really sweet yellow and black millipede walking along the trail. Not a lot of frills, just a good clean and primitive hike.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Rocky, thorn pants lining the trail. We found ticks on ourselves and our dogs after the trip. Won't be visiting this one again. Great for someone who just wants to look at nature and isn't bothered by the negatives. No waterfall on the trail. You have to go to the falls overlook, different entry point

Saturday, June 04, 2016

Beautiful trail, but was expecting to see a waterfall. There was a tumbling creek halfway that was very serene

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

This trail was great exercise! It worked my legs with the uphill & downhill paths. Yet, it was easy enough for our 7 children to get through. We were so excited to find the creek with water tumbling over rocks & teensy swimming holes at the end. My children had the whole area to themselves. They did not want to leave!

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

I'm just starting to hike as a hobby. I have done this trail 3 times in the past 5 weeks. It has a good terrain change to make it challenging and when the trail gets to the bottom of the hollow it is a perfect rest stop by the stream. The first two times I visited, I was the only person there. The second time I saw hoof prints where someone had been riding the trail on horseback. The last time, though, I ran into several other hikers, even "rescuing" a family that got off the trail and could not find it. I had also wandered off the trail by accident, but was aware of it and they followed me back to the last marked tree I could recall seeing. Yay me! So, to summarize: good trail, nice babbling brook at the bottom, not too many other visitors.

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Not a lot of water but still a decent hike

Saturday, June 13, 2015

The creek was a wonderful find! The terrain was great and varied. When we got there, we were the only people there, which was great. The dogs had a great hike and they loved being able to stop and lay in the creek in the middle of our hike. But I wouldn't say there were "waterfalls" on this trail, just places where the creek tumbles over some small rocks, but the sounds were wonderful!

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Nice trail but there have been a lot of trees blown down lately, many across the trail. One was particularly difficult to navigate due to all the briars. Enjoyed the walk along the creek, water was crystal clear. Make sure to check you and the dogs for ticks post hike.

Saturday, April 19, 2014

I hiked this trail a few years back and absolutely loved it. I am planning to hike it again soon. It is close to my home location. A short drive. Love the woods. The loop is not that hard and the serenity of the hike makes it very pleasant and peaceful. Will take photo's on my next hike there coming up within the next month.

Thursday, November 21, 2013

This is a nice little trail which is easy enough for even small children. There are no strenuous areas.

Sunday, June 09, 2013

Pretty Trail. My little guys (5 and 7) got a little tired, but ended up doing fine. Nice 3 mile loop off the Natchez Trace!

Friday, May 17, 2013

Really enjoy this trail. It's very peaceful and quiet.

Monday, September 03, 2012

I have to agree with Ande. We drove an hour and a half to get there and the trail was ok but nothing spectacular. There were many fallen trees that need to be taken care of and there are definitely thorny plants so you might want to wear pants. The hike itself was moderate and did have a serene creek running through it at one point. We took our dog with us and it was a good hike for her.