Devil's Backbone and Fall Creek

Devil's Backbone and Fall Creek is a 3.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Blountville, Tennessee that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and walking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.3 miles Elevation Gain: 567 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Decent quick local hike. Steep at the beginning. Nice views in the winter time of the lake from up high. Hiking poles are useful as the steep parts can be slippery.

This was a good trail for a close to home hike. Right now the trail is covered in multiple places due to the leaves that have fallen so I lost the trail in a couple places. Luckily it is marked with blue and red blazes so I was able to relocate the trail without a lot of difficulty. It is steeper than I thought and if u do the out and back, be prepared for uphill both ways. Good workout. Several overlooks and some nice small falls about a mile and a quarter in. The bridge was nice as well. The trail head wasn’t easy for me to find but I managed with this app. Even though it is close to town, I still found it peaceful. I read that u could make it a loop but it wasn’t clear to me where to turn to do that so I did out and back.

Noticed a few comments "this is not a loop" - it IS a loop if you complete the Fall Creek Loop portion at the end of Devils Backbone. A nice moderate hike. Creek is very nice, did encounter three harmless snakes on the trail by the creek. Never could find any of the abandoned homestead buildings but maybe its so overgrown in summer. Trail is not far from civilization so sounds of the area cancel any "quiet nature."

Good workout with decent views. For a trail that’s not really “off the grid” I would recommend

Nice trail uphill both ways. Trail gets pretty thin on the backside

Great walk.... first half is up hill but after that it’s ok. Beautiful creeks to look forward to !

Little bit of work at the beginning of the trail but worth it once you hit Fall Creek.

Great Rocky rooted taran with Warriors Path State Park Lake scenery, rewards little finds, structures, falls, etc. Up and down with heart pumping moderate to mild hike.

Great trail! Nice views and water features for the dogs! Trail was steep, but great workout!

Great trail good workout heart pumping uphill

Super cool trail! It was a little more uphill than I anticipated, but it was a fun family hike on Christmas! The mini waterfall and bridge were worth the hike!

Mon Dec 10 2018

This is a challenging trail. It has a very steep and rocky climb. The trail is well marked and has nice views, including a peak overlook.

Sun Nov 25 2018

This is a very pretty trail. Pretty steep, but dog and kid friendly.

Mon Sep 24 2018

I do this hike about once a week because it’s a pretty good work out. It’s not the prettiest hike around but I will say that I see deer every single time I go. The creek is nice, and you can hop onto Fall Creek Loop to add a little extra mileage. If you are looking for more of a work out, do the loop backwards (take the bridge to the left instead of the trail marker to the right) so that you are going uphill instead of down.

Wed Jul 18 2018

My absolute favorite trail to hike! Where do I even start. Well it's quite, other than the sounds of nature and mini waterfalls. The rushing water of the creek makes this hike very pretty. There are several different ways you can take, lots of cool things to discover in those woods. It is kid and animal friendly but I do suggest keeping your dogs on a leash.

Mon Jul 16 2018

This is our first trail hiking experience through this app. As other reviewers have said this is definitely moderate to strenuous, and I wouldn't consider it kid friendly for those who have smaller kids. We took two Great Danes on the trail and they were great. You should pack some extra water for yourself and the dogs. There are some lovely stopping points to rest and view the water, lots of rocks and roots, a lot of uphill climbing(the overlook is totally worth it).

Sat Jul 14 2018

This was a great find this morning as I was traveling through looking to get some exercise before hitting the road again. A single track trail through lovely woods along the river.

Sat Jun 30 2018

This trail was definitely not easy! I would rate it at moderate to difficult. It was a good cardio workout! A lot of uphill climbing and traversing rocks. Has beautiful lookouts along the way and nice creek at the end.

Wed May 09 2018

Good hike. This trail is moderate to strenuous, not easy. There are a lot of rocks and roots, more so than most trails. The trail has quite a bit of up hill climbing so be prepared to get cardio in! We took Kids (11,11,9) and the dog and it went well. There isn’t good water access for the dog (maybe a couple of places) so you may want to pack a water bowl in if your planning on bringing a pet.

Sat Mar 03 2018

I would not rate this trail easy. I hike 2-3 days a week and found this trail to be pretty tough from a cardio standpoint. The climb in and out I would rate moderate to strenuous. Great views of lake and a small waterfall.

Sat Jan 06 2018

This is still one of my favorite hikes due to the swimming hole being your reward after the hike and being able to cool off. The trail would be a step up for beginners and dogs are allowed on a leash. Great fun for family. I'd bring stuff for a picnic, I can never just make it to the swimming hole/ bathtub and leave. There is a parking lot but every time I've gone it's been packed and I've had to park along the side of the road leading up to it.

Wed Sep 27 2017

the trail was nice up until a certain point. definitely gets closer to moderate than easy. trail is not marked well, got turned around a few times. definitely NOT a loop! it's a there and back. end of the trail gets tricky and spits you onto the golf course, so be careful, then you turn around and do it again.