Learn more

Day Loop Trail is a 3.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Nashville, Tennessee that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.9 miles Elevation Gain: 269 feet Route Type: Loop

This trail extends off the Volunteer Trail at Long Hunter State Park near Nashville, TN. From about the midway point on the Volunteer loop the trail leaves the loop to follow the shore of Percy Priest lake to two campsites. A nice hike with a destination for lunch or a close to home overnight.

Nice day trail with some overlooks to the lake, but nothing overly exciting. Trail ran it without issue. Heavily shaded was great for these higher temp days. There was maybe a quarter mile of "rough" terrain otherwise easy with some mild incline. Completely dog friendly, please leash them.

Really enjoyed this trail. Had my 2 dogs with me and they enjoyed jumping into the lake. All 3 of us were tired when we got home.

very nice trail, just challenging enough to be fun! saw lots of folks with thier dogs.

Dropped my sunglasses in the lake

We did this with our kids on a Sunday. The trail was not very crowded. It was a little slippery from rain - but was a delightful family hike with great water views.

Easy afternoon trail. Finished the trail at about 1:30 while stopping for snack breaks on a couple of the bluffs overlooking the water. It is nicely maintained with a couple of rocky parts but easily transverse-able. Overall enjoyed myself.

Awesome trail! Not overly easy to where it was boring but not too hard for our doggos. Nice views of the lake with some cliff spots you could stop at. It was super deserted when we went which was a Saturday evening. Very well shaded. Saw a couple of deer! Would definitely go again.

Great trail.

Went today for the very time. I didn’t know what to expect. It’s very rocky and if you’re clumsy like me be careful. I fell and hurt my knees pretty good. But kept on walking the rest of the way. The views were beautiful and the hike was very peaceful. I will 100% be back. But I’ll be more careful etc time.

A+ trail!! The bluff and the pebbled beach were great!! Well blazed trail & great views of the water!

Set out for the day loop trail and I ended up going the full volunteer trail as well. My app stopped recording though on me. The volunteer part was overgrown in some areas and some areas were blocked. You were able to pass through. I saw deer and a turtle. Some parts were pretty technical. I did trip and fall once. Great views of the lake. Great trail for running or hiking.

I do this trail often and one of my favorites, great views of Percy Priest Lake. I would highly recommend this trail for everyone.

Excellent hike! Moderate to hard. But gorgeous views overlooking bluffs. No debris or downed trees. They have taken great care of this trail!

Always was a great hike. Definitely recommend, you can get all four miles done in 2 hours or less if you’re looking for a speed run. Otherwise, enjoy the views, of monuments the lake, take it all in and just be.

Great well-shaded Trail with some beautiful bluffs overlooking the lake. Lots of tree roots and rocks on trail... you’ll be looking down a lot as you walk - but don’t miss all the beauty! Stay on the path and obey the signs asking you not to follow unofficial trails - there will be opportunity to get right out on the bluff later in your hike. There is a portalet here, but just down the road is the visitors center with a real restroom. Parking lot is small and fills up fast. Plan to arrive before 9 am or you run the risk of full parking lot and a sign telling you to go find another trail to hike. Day Loop is dog-friendly and is moderate-easy; there are some inclines.

Nice trail. Doing volunteer and day loop together came in at 12.2. I would do day loop first and enjoy the bluffs then continue on to end of volunteer trail Camp sites at end are nice. As others noted, there are blowdown between 3.25 and 4.25 but they are easily walked around or climbed over. Lake noise can be distracting which is another reason to go early Parking only allowed in lot, which doesn’t open 7:00am. Parking on the entrance street will get you towed off a sheriff showed up

I really enjoyed this trail. I can see why it’s so popular. The forest is beautiful and there are some amazing bluff views overlooking Percy Priest Lake on the western side of the trail.

Love this trail every time we go. Beautiful lake views.

Beautiful trail. There’s a 3.8 ish loop, the “Day Loop”. Lots of spots to sit and look out on the lake. Moderate

This is a great trail. Had a blast with my son and friend. Great trail for kids and dogs.

Good trail. Lots of shade. Took my mom and I a hour and half with a couple of short stops. A few pretty lookouts on the lake.

Great Sunday afternoon stroll. Some rocks, nice elevated and sea level views of Percy Priest. Dog loved it; off-leash for most of the loop. Saw 2 snakes, non-venomous. Nothing challenging. A few of kids < 5 could do it.