Learn more

Cummins Falls Trail is a 2.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Cookeville, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.1 miles Elevation Gain: 334 feet Route Type: Loop

Please note: Gorge Access Permit required to visit the base of the waterfall. WARNING: This trail can become extremely dangerous during wet weather and is subject to closure. If rain is in the forecast, avoid the area. Flash flooding can occur. Check with the ranger for weather conditions before proceeding or check alerts here: https://tnstateparks.com/parks/cummins-falls This swimming spot is a local favorite of Jackson and Putnam counties. It is a rugged and steep trail that is NOT for small children. At a point, you will need to cross the river so, water shoes are recommended. For safety reasons, do not cross the river if water is higher than your knees.

One of the most amazing places in Tennessee. Plenty of parking and restrooms. Very cool evergreen forest as you descend down to the ravine. Then about a mile of navigating up the creek to the waterfall. In summer the water level was lower so most water was knee or waist deep or shallower. Rocky and challenging but not overly dangerous. We did it with a 1 year old on a carrier and a 3 and 6 year old. Were dozens of kids out here so don't be afraid to take kids...just be cautious. Bring hiking shoes and water shoes and switch them when you reach the creek. Bring life jackets... buy a permit online before coming as they sell out and have limited capacity. The falls are quite spectacular and there is a deep pool and many shallower swimming spots on the creek. You can climb the falls if you are brave. Overall a half day adventure well worth the trip.

My wife and I had a great time. Not swamped with people and had a lot of fun.

Trail and waterfall was awesome but didn't expect to have to pay $6 just to do it. $6 isn't a lot but was surprised

the falls are beautiful but the hike isn't worth it imo

It’s quite a hike to get to the fall. Part is a decent trail but a big part is rocky and through water. We took my dog, which doesn’t like water , so that was a bit difficult, but other than that it was an amazing experience. The pool at the Walter fall was closed due to the rain but there were many areas you could cool off.

Wow!! It was such a beautiful waterfall. Our two boys loved the hike ,age 6 and 10, and did very well hiking the terrain.

fee

The trail itself wasn't so bad, but the gorge was difficult at times. Off trail was all rocks and water, mostly shallow with a few deep spots/rushing water. Some of the rocks were quite slippery. I wore non slip shoes, but there were still a couple of times when I almost fell, so take your time! I recommend doing this trail for the views and the exercise. I will definitely go back.

The falls are beautiful & so worth it! Permit required!!!

fee

Beautiful waterfall! I absolutely loved the hike and playing at the falls. This hike is upstream so river/water shoes are very helpful.

Beautiful trail and waterfall!!!! This is one of my first hikes and I struggled a lot going back up to the top. It is extremely steep but I’m not in the best shape. I just started working out again over a month ago and I struggled. Had an awesome time though, wouldn’t take our almost 2 year old again, our 4 year old loved it but bringing them made me super nervous towards the end right at the waterfall. Very slippery and not meant for kids their age! *Do Not bring little to the waterfall you will regret it!*

recorded Cummins Falls Trail

We only took the overlook trail. Nice and short. Well-maintained. Not too busy at 10:30.

Biased because I work here, (would give more than 5 stars if possible) - need a permit to go down to the water. You can hike the trails w/o a permit, but can’t get to the river without one. They sell out weeks in advance so buy them at least a week in advance. Permits are 6$ each and required for each person in the group INCLUDING CHILDREN. Trail head is temporarily relocated due to the construction of our new visitor center.

Need to have a permit to do entire trail. Nice shade on the rim.

Great experience!! Bought our permits 8 days in advance for a weekend trip. Love the permit process and idea. $6 is nothing compared to the prices of permits out west. Kids 10,12,15 had a great time. Hike was a little tough for the dog close to the falls Bc of rock scramble but it was doable. Lots of construction in parking and the trail head areas for the new visitor center. Very little trash, the trash we seen we packed out. Staff & rangers were super friendly. Overall great experience we’ll do it again.

Way to ruin one of the greatest features in Tennessee!!! The view for the waterfall is horrible unless you can hike the gorge which they are now charging $6 per person to do! I used to bring my family here multiple times a summer and now will not be returning! Passes sell out extremely fast and they won’t let you get anywhere near water unless you pay!!! Ruins the entire experience!

fee

Super cool trail where you hike down to a stream and hike upstream in water to the waterfall where you can swim and scramble rocks. New permits allow 100 visitors per day for $6 each. Can access upper trail without permit. Expect to get your feet wet - it was inevitable on the stream trail.

Make sure you have a permit before heading to ‘Downstream Trail’. The ranger will be there to check it.

CLOSED as of 5/10/20

Really cool place ! Didn’t expect so many people to be there so that was a con but it’s an awesome place.

One of my favorite waterfalls! My 9 year old has been begging to go back. Definitely wear appropriate shoes for walking through water.

Love this trail. Took my kids, 15 & 5, and they loved it and loved swimming and exploring the area around the falls.

bridge out

Access to waterfall still closed. Only can get to overlook which was okay. stinks :-(