For a limited time only, save 30% on a year of AllTrails Pro!
Get Started
Learn more

Cumberland Trail: Possum Creek Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(95)
Possum Creek RMA

Cumberland Trail: Possum Creek Trail is a 8.1 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Soddy Daisy, Tennessee that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and camping. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length 8.1 mi Elevation gain 1,942 ft Route type Point to Point

Photos (250)
Recordings (93)
Completed (118)
Colton Roe
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 2, 2020
Hiking

Don’t forget, it is a 8 mile hike one way. So unless you plan on camping it’s a 16 mile hike in one day. This hike almost ruined hiking for me. It was hot as hell and I thought about killing myself on top of one of the ridges cause I didn’t wanna hike back.

April Connell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 10, 2020
Walking

my 12 yr old and small dog loved this trail! we only went 2 miles in and back out, but it was perfect for a sunny spring afternoon!

View April's Recording
Kate Long
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 29, 2020

This is one of my favorite hikes on the CT so far. I went after rain so the creeks and waterfalls were really flowing. There are fantastic rock cliffs for much of the way. If you go in early spring or summer the moss and ferns on the rock cliffs are beautiful. Plenty of wildflowers in the spring as well. It is a rugged trail though with alot of elevation gain and loss.

Jordan May
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 21, 2020
HikingMuddy
View Jordan's Recording
Jason J
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 21, 2020
Hiking

Wow. A little rigorous, but wow.

View Jason's Recording
Kyle Kalbus
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 10, 2020

Great trail. Difficult but rewarding

Clint Pierce
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 1, 2020
HikingMuddyRocky
View Clint's Recording
Hiking Viking
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 13, 2019
Walking

This hike is a lot longer than 8 miles. We went exactly four miles in and didn’t even make it halfway according to the map so it’s gotta be at least 12 miles in and 12 miles back out.

View Hiking's Recording
Meissa Kubic
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 28, 2019
Hiking

The wildflowers are beautiful in early April!

Mandy White
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 26, 2019
BackpackingBugsOver grown

This was probably the most boring but hard hike I’ve done in a long time. If it hasn’t rained a lot then you’re going to want to wait for cooler weather and pack plenty water. The water was sparse and even the water near the campsite was super hard to get to. You have to slide down a steep hill to get to it and it’s hard as heck to get back up. Tons of rocks near the campsite and lots of snakes. I’ve seen the most snakes near my site. More than I’ve seen on any complete hike lol

Megan Torman Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 14, 2019
HikingBlowdownOver grown

This time I parked at Retro Hughes Trailhead and hiked to the falls and back Love following along the creek but it was all muddy from the recent rains. A couple trees down on the trail but nothing impassable. One overgrown section with briars. Looked at the campsites - they're not on the creek or easy access to water but you can hear the creek and one was very spacious. Lots of pretty sections - my favorite is probably the ferns. Be careful - the rocks are REALLY slippery. My doggy enjoyed our hike today - plenty of sticks to choose from

View Megan's Recording
Scott Cavanaugh
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 6, 2019
HikingBlowdownBugs

Mid July hike with temps in the mid 90’s. Trail conditions are in good shape and well marked. Plenty of elevation that will test you and not recommended for small children during the warmer months. Plenty of water available for hydration needs. Lots of ticks so wear insect repellent. also, the milage is more like 11.5 from start to finish.

sabine morrison
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 18, 2019
Hiking

Creek crossing after Little Possum North campsite (@7.2 miles) not possible due too high and swift water after heavy rains...had to walk up the creek a bit to cross in knee high waters. The trail has many highlights and interesting features as mentioned in other reviews. I would only recommend it to experienced hikers as the ups and downs are nothing to sneeze at. Definitely recommend it as a fall or winter hike, and a through hike with one vehicle at each end (north terminus at Hughes Retro Road and south terminus at Heiss Mountain trailhead). Immensely enjoyed this one ( we take lots of pictures and therefore it took us 8 hours to complete).

Tawnee Toon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 2, 2019
Hiking

Trail was well maintained. A pretty hike even for winter time. Runs along stream for at least first mile and presented a few great photo ops for my fellow photographers. Light to medium traffic on the trail today as it was beautiful out. Recommend for hikers comfortable with rocky path and lots of ups and downs. Not for low energy/mobility.

View Tawnee's Recording
Wayne Lowery
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 29, 2018

This is a great hike. It would be best to hike it in dry weather.

Charles Bain
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 21, 2018

I did the Heiss Rd to Immodium Falls and back a few years ago. The rating is correct it is difficult with a lot of ups and downs. I still need to complete the other half but there is a creek crossing on that section.

stephanie asadi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 19, 2018

we did a punt to point today. this trail is much longer than the listed 8.2 miles..... he prepared for a hard hike if u go here. the creek was super muddy today and the falls were meh... I am glad I checked this off my list. Not sure how soon I will be back. this trail kicked my butt and I just hiked my. leconte in the smokies in June. I dont advise taking small kids on this trail at all. unless u wanna carry them out.

Jules Bailey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 9, 2018

Love love love the CT!

Megan Torman Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 17, 2018
Hiking

Wanted a trail not too far from Chattanooga with some water. Had an afternoon to kill and couldn't resist the temptation of a waterfall! Started at Heiss Rd around 2pm on a Sunday and finished around 8 (small gravel pull-off on the side of the road). A group was leaving as I started and only ran into 1 other person. The trails are blazed but no signage for miles and no indication of some of the loops/side trails. Study the map first. 2 beautiful shallow pools with cascades to cool off in within the first 0.5 mi. Loads of rhododendron and wild blueberries. I hiked to Imodium Falls - coming back was tough I won't lie! The elevation changes are dramatic. Not many overlooks, just beautiful woods. Loved hiking with the sound of Possum Creek in the background. Campsite looked pretty basic and a little walk to get down to the water. Heavy rain had washed out the trail in a lot of places and growth was crowding the trail (wear pants if you don't want things brushing up on your legs). Hiking against the backdrop of the giant stone walls was refreshing. And Imodium Falls is paradise! I'll be back for longer next time.

Rob Decker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 1, 2018

Today, my third attempt at this trail, I managed to complete this trail as an out and back in one day trip. This trail is hard as a point to point. It's not really 8.1. I think it's more like 8.8 one way. My latest attempt ended up being almost 18 miles total. I ran into a couple with three kids in tow. I did not think to ask them if they knew the trails rating until I was on my way back from the other side. They were headed for Immodium and had realized how difficult the trail was by then. They were about 5 minutes away when they were going to give up. I told them how close they were and walked them over. Advising them they shouldn't stay too long as it would get dark on them soon. If you see parents on these hard trails, with kids, stop them and make sure they know what they are getting into. These two had no idea and I feel bad for being single minded about my out and back to the point to where I let them pass me by without checking to see if they knew what kind of trail they were on.

Mike May
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 30, 2017
Hiking

Very nice trail, my wife and I did not have time to hike the full trail because of lack of time and other commitments. Lots of leaves on the trail some wet and slippery so use caution. The trail was well defined,however some of the blaze marking needs maintenance. Very nice views of the creek with the many small waterfalls. Had a great time hiking with my wife.

Kyle Byrne

Great trail. Well marked and traveled. Plenty of water nearby. Beautiful rocks for climbing/rappelling. Easily found trailhead.

Terry Maddox
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 25, 2017
Backpacking

Nice trail, but not well blazed where you would it expect it most. Get a trail map online from the CT website. I'm 56 and not athletic, so I found the hill climbs difficult but doable. The rock steps were covered with leaves, uneven, and had some big step ups - but hey, at least it was natural. No one in camp - nice! Scenic with interesting rock formations. Easy water available. Should be on your must do trail list.

Matthew Chenkus
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 4, 2017
Backpacking

beautiful trail as is most of the CT. well maintained and the both campsites will accommodate a hammock or 4

Tiffiany W.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 26, 2017

My best friend and I did it today. It was a beautiful hike. We look forward to doing more of the CT.

Nicholas Goss
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 23, 2017
Backpacking

Last week a couple of us did a through hike of Mowbray mountain to Sale Creek on the Cumberland trail. This is by far my favorite segment! I wish all trails would add the entire 34 mile segment into one map. This would be helpful to those of us who want to thru hike this segment.