Cucumber Gap and Little River Loop Trail

Cucumber Gap and Little River Loop Trail is a 5.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Gatlinburg, Tennessee that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

great trail easy for first half then a little moderate.

Husband I went on the Cucumber Gap trail, starting at the Little River Trailhead and followed the Jake's Creek trail to the turn. (We went backwards, to preserve my bum knee!) and I am so glad we did. The hike was strenuous for me (the knee and being mindful of the elevation I wasn't accustomed to!) on the climb up and much easier on the descent (even if the Husband had difficulty crossing one of the swollen creeks on the trail and got soggy!) We didn't see anyone on the Gap loop until a 1/2 mile from the junction to Little River - which was quite nice.
Instead of following the trail at the turn back to the trailhead and parking lot, we turned southeast and went further along the Little River trail back into the woods. That was quite lovely, and took a break at the Goshen Trail junction.
The trek back was very nice, with the river next to us, and provided plenty of pictures to show others.

Nice easy hike. Enjoyed all the rhododendron and the beautiful river. Fall color was gorgeous. Only saw a couple of hikers on Cucumber Gap but Little River trail was much busier. Saw several men fly fishing in the river. We really loved this hike.

The very gradual hike up along the river is wonderful- we were at the loop turnaround in no time (even in the falling snow!) Crossing the stream on the second half was a bit tricky with all the recent precipitation. The stroll through the abandoned cabins kept the end of hiking interesting.

Little River section deceiving if you start there. The true hiking experience begins the 2nd half of the trip which is a good hike.

Enjoyable diversity. I was surprised to find the sections near trailheads/parking to be asphalt, but the scenery in these areas was beautiful. Some better signage could be in place when approaching Daisy Town to guide you back to the trail start.

Started the trail along the river with beautiful views and last leg is through forest. Nice trail that is easily walkable regardless of skill level

My son and I took this trail on a Friday morning in mid-September, and pretty much had the trail to ourselves; only met 8-10 people along the 5.6 miles. We started at Jakes Creek, and the last leg was an easy stroll alongside Little River. Though there are no major waterfalls or overlooks on this trail, you can still find amazing beauty. On this trail I saw for the first time the Dolls Eye Plant. We also saw numerous mushrooms and other fungi, and many types of wildflowers still in bloom. In the upper reaches of the trail you could see where the name Cucumber Gap comes from; there were many pods strewn along the path from the Cucumber Tree (aka Mountain Magnolia). This was an excellent hike, not too strenuous for a "not-in-the-best-shape" guy in his early 60s.

Start at Jake's Creek and get the hard part , ( relatively speaking ) done first. Rhododendron tunnels and beautiful water features. Don't miss the footbridge just .4 miles south of intersection with Little River Trail.

Great hike. Beautiful scenery.