CT Snow Falls Trail

CT Snow Falls Trail is a 10.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Dayton, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1932 feet

fly fishing

rock climbing

whitewater kayaking

cave

Quiet falls awaits you with great overlook views to be enjoyed on this trail. Beautiful scenery. Great place for a family hike. Your hike begins along the Richland Creek that provided water and mining for the town of Dayton for many years. This area was once logged by Bowater Paper and then turned over to provide excellent trails for the pocket wilderness and Cumberland Trail. The first 1.5 miles is shared by Snow Falls & Laurel Falls; at this point turn left (NW) to Snow Falls. You will hike 3/4 mile then you will walk around a huge boulder and then cross 3 50' bridges to cross over Richland Creek. The next 2 miles you will ascend over 500' by a series of switchbacks that lead to the upper rim to Buzzard Point. Once you are on top follow an old log road to the south to Buzzard Point for lunch with a view! Backtrack to connect to the Snow Falls trail that crosses this log road you're on. You will descend to creek level of which you will have to wade or cross depending on water level. Once you are across the creek follow white blaze. Backtrack to upper rim for the Dunn Overlook for great views.

Love this so beautiful and trails are perfect as well. Beautiful waterfalls.

Loved this hike! Took a rookie backpacker to break in and it was a perfect first timer! My only complaint is that the 50' metal bridge that crosses Laurle Creek all the guides talk about is no longer there and we were very confused with no bridge and no blazes visible on the other side. One guide suggested exploring the first section (mining area) on the way in so you are not too tired to explore on the way out. We did it on the way in AND the way out and still felt like we could have explored more so be sure to not pass right by this wonderful area. I uploaded some images we took. April is perfect with cool nights, not so hot days, wild flowers everywhere, falls with good amounts of water, enough greenery to add to the beauty but not enough to hinder views of the falls, and dogwoods in full bloom. The trail was easy to follow most of the time but with so many spur trails, don't let down your guard and neglect watching for white blazes. Rock scrambles can get tricky but so worth it!

The trail is poorly marked in some areas and we lost it at a couple points. The waterfall isn't very rewarding after a long hike, especially after experiencing the majesty of Laurel Falls.

One of my favorite trails

Great hike! Be prepared to cross the river to get to the falls!

Really nice but dry from drought. Will go again in spring.

NO MOUNTAIN BIKING

Loved it. Very beautiful. Hiked through the dry bed more than anything. The path is on a reclaimed railroad for the coal mines. Lots of old artifacts, bridges, and mines.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Thursday, July 07, 2016

Loved it!

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Saturday, May 21, 2016

This place is great. It's more of a moderate trail than easy. Still great hike. The creek was low due to lack of rain, so the falls where unimpressive. But the area is beautiful in its own right. Definitely recommend.

Monday, May 16, 2016

I got to the area just after sun up with the intention of hiking to both falls and all of the overlooks before sundown, which I accomplished in a little less than 6 1/2 hours. The trail is marked moderate which I would have to say is accurate, the first 1.5 mile stretch running along the creek is easy, flat and peaceful, once past the old broken bridge things start going up toward laurel falls, and there are a series of ever increasing switchbacks to navigate. Laurel falls was a trickle when I went, but it was still a beautiful sight, the real gem is the overlook above it. The snow falls trail is much longer, and has its own set of switchbacks to navigate, once on top of the ridge you run into a dirt road which can be walked in either direction, one to the overlook one to the falls, I saw only 5 other people on the fall trails while I was out on Sunday (sunny, high of 70, with a breeze) so it was quite peaceful. On the hike out I saw about 20 people with kids in the creek swimming. I am 24, in decent shape, and I had no problem hiking the entire area in a day's time, I also carried a backpack and DSLR camera the entire time. The best hike I have been on in TN so far.

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Have camped and hiked here several times, and it remains one of my favorite spots in TN.

Monday, April 11, 2016

I have been hiking for 30 years and this is probably the best easy short hike I have ever been on. We hiked in and camped just short of snow falls. After setting up camp we hiked up to Laurel falls and played on the abundant boulders. My son is 11 and he absolutely loved it. this should not be marked moderate. Anyone at any age should be able to do this.