Learn more

Crib Gap Trail is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Townsend, Tennessee that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.9 miles Elevation Gain: 741 feet Route Type: Out & Back

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

This is a rather good short trail. Definitely watch for bears and snakes. We saw a baby bear, copperhead and two deer. Always stay a safe distance from wildlife! The roads sounds are undesirable but not terribly distracting.

This is a great trail. Easy and enjoyable. Yes, you can hear the road noise but it didn't distract from the beauty, I just tuned the traffic noise out, and there was not alot of it. Rhododendrons were just starting to bloom.

Fairly easy trail. Saw a bear of to the side on the way back. Likely missed it in the way. Be bear aware this time of year but enjoy the stroll in the Smokies!

Trail has a couple trees down over trail that had to be navigated. One section was very rocky, almost like a dried creek bed. We tacked on the small half mile loop Turkey Pen to extend it a little. Yes you can hear traffic in some areas but did not take away from the trail. It is not wheelchair or stroller accessible nor is it an easy hike. We had fun, enjoyed it and was sufficiently challenged.

Not one of my favorite trails! It's a nice walk in the woods! You can hear traffic for most of the hike. The trail crosses over the road, I am glad I read the reviews on here because it's not marked for the cross over.

Mon Apr 22 2019

Great trail! Fairly easy but has a good incline. We took our off road stroller up half way and turned around due to the rockiness of the climb. I would definitely do this hike again when kids are a bit older

Thu Jun 21 2018

This was definitely one of our favorite trails in the cades cove area. Watch for horse poo but this trail is along a stream with beautiful sounds and little waterfalls

Sat Oct 17 2015

Did this trail as part of a large loop and trying to mark off another trail on the list. First part of the trail coming from Anthony Creek is a nice quiet trail. I say a deer about 40 feet from me and she allowed me to take photos and then watched me walkaway. Then you cross the road and continue on. It is still a pretty trail with hardwoods. The only problem is you can hear the traffic go by and at certain spots you can see the traffic. But it is a nice little trail with close by parking.

Sun Mar 09 2014

Took this trail by mistake. That's what happens when you breeze right through an intersection without looking up I guess. Really nothing of not for a hiker run's close to the road going into cade's cover so there is plenty of views of cars. I suppose it would be ok for horse riders.

Tue Mar 12 2019