Cravens House Loop Trail is a 4.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Chattanooga, Tennessee that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.5 miles Elevation Gain: 892 feet Route Type: Loop

To start this loop, park at the Craven's House (entrance road above Ruby Falls). Start by going right and back right onto "Rifle Pits Trail" .62 at first split. Turn left onto "Upper Truck Trail" .73 where you can explore the remnants of the old CCC Camp Demaray that housed 200 men complete with Barber Shop and Tennis Courts in the 30's. Next intersection stay left onto "Gum Spring Trail" .63 the roughest part of the trail, this will lead you to Sunset Rock .02 if you desire or stay left onto "Bluff Trail" for .066 mile for a left onto "Craven's House Trail" .52 and back to your vehicle. While at the Craven's House there are several old structures to explore like the Hardy house to the left, a turn of the century Tudor.

Part of this trail is closed

Trail in great shape. Completed with 30 lb Ruck and 3 Liter water bladder.

The loop is only 3.4 miles. The Gum Springs Trail section is some serious elevation gain. A few trees down over the trail but not hard to navigate. Would be hesitant to bring children on this trail due to a couple of areas that are narrow and significant drops if one was to misstep.

Great, technically easy trail with amazing views. Physically challenging at a couple parts due to elevation gain

Highly Recommended. Strenuous at times

This is a great trail. Hiked on a Monday morning; I was the only person here. Well maintained and well marked it’s an easy route to navigate. Lots of poison ivy. Gum Springs Trail kicked my butt. I remembered it being hard but not that hard. The views along the Bluff Trail are awesome.

Very nice hike with gorgeous rock formations. Take a good pair or boots as some parts are fairly rocky and present ample “ankle biters”. Enjoyed sneaking away for a quick hike while in town. Enjoyable views and not too many hikers.

Went in the spring and was absolutely gorgeous with all the different flowers blooming along the way. Took the extra trail on up to Point Park which made it 5 1/2 miles. Will definitely return.

Great hike. Parts of the trail were very muddy after it rained.

Absolutely beautiful trail. Totally loved this hike and would recommend it. Even though a bit slick and muddy a great hike

Did a night hike here with a couple of friends. Not a bad hike at all and super cool to see the view of Chattanooga at night. Bring a headlamp because the deer be trippin.

With the leaves changing and cool fall air, this was an amazing hike just 10 minutes away!

I absolutely loved this hike. It was a kick tail cardio workout on the uphill part. The rock formations are insane. We are so blessed to live in such a beautiful area.

One of my favorites in Chattanooga.

Friday, August 17, 2018

DANGER! ZERO TRAIL MAINTENANCE on Mountain Beautiful Trail! At this time 08/17/18 we strongly suggest you avoid Mountain Beautiful Trail, this hazard filled trail presented us with grown over trails with waist high ground cover, (much of it "leaves of three") making each of our steps hazardous and onto unseen thus unknown ground. There were multiple downed trees and choking vines forcing bent over tight squeezes or clambers over downed trees, staying ever aware of the potential for snakes below the downed trees. We can confidently state that the Mountain Beautiful Trail was the WORST maintained National Parks trail we have EVER experienced. By the time we finished our legs were red and itching, we were covered in spiders webs and brushing off spiders (freaking Maxine out) and we were just so pissed off at the trails condition that we seriously contemplated walking up the busy Scenic Highway to return to our car parked at Cravens House. Luckily the Hardy Trail paralleled the road, this unimpressive trail follows the Hydro Pylons, but we were some thankful that it was wide and clear. I have written a letter to the Park Superintendent, I trust he/she would want to take immediate action, but who knows??? Just be warned!

Thursday, July 26, 2018

Well marked, easy trail! We went last weekend. There was rain in the forecast, so there was hardly anyone else on the trail. It eventually rained on us, but we took shelter in the little museum near the top. Views were amazing once the clouds faded.

Saturday, July 21, 2018

Nice hike. I did the full loop a few evenings ago. The buff trails part was my favorite with a few rock sections. (Nothing difficult but makes it more interesting). Sunset rock was very nice. It was about 92 so I sweated a lot but not bad since it is in the shade. I didn’t like the rifle pits section on the way back- way too much poison ivy and overgrowth. If your sensitive or with kids (my younger kids wouldn’t have the patience to avoid the ivy), I would recommend an out and back instead of the loop. Took me 2 hours that is including 30 minutes at sunset rock and an extra 20 minutes going slow to maneuver around the poison ivy. I liked parking at Cravens House. History on the battlefield and a nice large rock to climb on.

Friday, June 08, 2018

Great trail! Gorgeous day and although it got pretty warm, you didn’t notice in the shade of the trails. Sunset Rock was amazing! I could have sat there forever! If you have weak legs, bad knees, hips or ankles, you might want to the whole loop. Perhaps to Sunset Rock and directly back. This has some strenuous spots on the loop especially Gum Springs and Rifle Pits. Gum Trail and Rife Pits had quite a bit of overgrowth making it narrow although the path was clear. Suggestions: good comfortable hiking shoes, water and a walking stick or walking poles.

Sunday, May 13, 2018

Awesome view at the top.

Saturday, March 17, 2018

Sunday, January 21, 2018

Loved it! Links up to several other rad trails as well

Friday, December 29, 2017

Enjoyable hike close to downtown. It is true that there are a couple spots where the trails are not clearly marked, but if you follow the directions in the trail description above navigating the loop is easy. Plus several of the intersections are marked well with signs. It is definitely worth splitting off the loop to see the beautiful view from Sunset Rock. I would definitely recommend this hike.

Wednesday, November 15, 2017

A good hike, excellent views and many good trails to add to this hike. The trails are not well marked.

Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Print out a map, take a pic at the trailhead with your phone, or keep the instructions close by. Great loop, but cutting across so many trails can be tricky! We got confused around Sunset Rock when looping for Cravens trail on the way back, but a local got us straightened out. Speaking of Sunset, views are amazing. Not a hard trail, per se, except the 6/10 mile on Gum Trail - straight uphill. Enjoy this great trail. Make sure you drive around at the top - nice homes to look at, if that’s your thing.

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

I loved this hike. Wasn't very hard, leads to a PHENOMENAL view overseeing the Tennessee river and surrounding area. Lots of cool historical information pertaining to the civil war available as well at the top.

Tuesday, October 03, 2017

Perfect before/after work trail run loop.

Thursday, September 21, 2017

Great views!

Monday, June 26, 2017

We had a great time on this trail! It can however be very confusing. Luckily I found a website that walked us through the whole thing with pictures and all. I would recommend sticking to it to a T if you don't want to get lost. Here's the link. http://npplan.com/parks-by-state/georgia/at-a-glance-chickamauga-and-chattanooga-national-military-park/hiking-trails-chattanoogalookout-mountain-battlefield/sunset-rock-cravens-house-loop-trail-chattanoogalookout-mountain-battlefield/