Cove Hardwoods Nature Trail

Cove Hardwoods Nature Trail is a 0.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Gatlinburg, Tennessee that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

I really liked this trail. It’s short, but don’t let “easy” fool ya on this one. It was fairly easy for me, but I can imagine someone less active may struggle. It’s not a paved or graveled trail. You hike up on rocks, limbs, mud, and tree roots, and in some places almost overgrown, but still very doable for most skill levels. You could hear nearby passing traffic, but we still saw 2 bears, one a tad too close for comfort! But he turned and walked away. Overall, good hike!

Gorgeous! One of our favorites with kids!

flowers were beautiful. trail was well maintained. Needed to be careful of tree roots

4/12/18 Trillium up, other flowers emerging

My review is from the perspective of an amateur landscape/nature photographer.

There's nothing really special about this hike that you can't see in most Eastern US hardwood forests. No real outstanding landscapes scenes or wildlife.

But what makes this trail somewhat special are the varieties of wildflowers you can find from late March until the end of April. I spotted 9 species on March 31st and there were probably more. Others will start to bloom in the first two weeks of April.

If your photography interests are landscapes/wildlife, then skip this hike. If you enjoy wildflowers then this is one of the better hikes in the Smoky's from late March thru April.

Friday, May 26, 2017

Tuesday, November 01, 2016

Tip. At the trail head there is a box that asks for 50cents for a brouchre, take one and just return once done. It has interesting facts about that trail that are numbered 1-15 or so as you hike. There is a little traffic noise but not a huge deal. Could be difficult for those who aren't fit, it's up some but well maintained path.

Monday, October 03, 2016

A short loop through a pretty hillside wooded setting. The trail begins on the right shortly after entering the picnic area. It was probably more exciting than usual for me though, as I had just my second black bear sighting here...definitely bigger and closer than my first encounter (blurry pictures uploaded). Fortunately neither one of us wanted to get any closer...and I did have bear spray to hopefully help if needed!

Monday, April 18, 2016

Wildflowers in Spring are plentiful along this trail.

Saturday, April 16, 2016

What a wonderful albeit a short hike. So much to see, in April the wild flowers are everywhere.

Tuesday, April 05, 2016

This is not an easy trail. It is beautiful ! Please be aware of a continuous climb going up steps and rough rocks. I do have titanium knees and hip! This was a challenge. Perhaps this is an easy trail for experienced hikers.
It is a paradise for photographers!

Saturday, March 26, 2016

Thursday, June 19, 2014

If you want to see a lot of wildflowers in the Spring, this is the trail for you. I've hiked this trail may times and have never been disappointed. It's a very easy hike, not strenuous at all.

Saturday, April 06, 2013

This was probably our least favorite self guided nature trail. I also would not call it easy. It was moderate at best and we have hiked 100's of miles.

Sunday, August 13, 2017