Chimney Tops Trail is a 3.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Gatlinburg, Tennessee that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

Distance: 3.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,289 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

Note: Users have reported that the last portion of the trail is closed due to fire damage. For more information, please see https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/operating-dates.htm Due to the spectacular views and short length, this is one of the more popular hikes on Newfound Gap Road, but that doesn't mean it isn't steep! Pace yourself, as the second mile is steeper than the first with almost 1000 feet of elevation gain in the last mile alone.

8 minutes ago

A quintessential Smokes hike. Good gain, great views. There is a gate at the end which is locked. We went around it. I think you could get in trouble for this, but who knows. #Rebels

33 minutes ago

Excellent trail! I would say the trail is moderate until you reach the half-way point at which time it goes straight uphill. It is definitely a thigh burner, but I’d do it again.

Awesome view from the top! Be prepared for lots and lots of stairs and steady incline the whole way. I wish I would have worn sandals because my toes were killing me on the way down. Totally worth it though!

Definitely hard! The first half is moderately steep, the second half is severely steep. Needed to stop a few times. Reminded me of Mt. Le conte just shorter so it was still very enjoyable. Awesome views up top! There is a gate that says the rest of the trail is closed but it’s fairly easy to get around and keep going to the very top, just be careful as it gets to a point where you’re basically climbing

This hike is challenging, but doable for most folks, if taken at a slow pace. The view at the end is great.

It is quite steep! Just take tests and it’ll be fine. I gave it four stars because the actual chimney rock is closed at the moment.

Awesome trail, killer incline. The very top part is closed but didn’t keep people from going around the padlocked doorway.

Hard but worth it.

Beautiful and very challenging trail. By the time we were done my bad knee was in horrible shape and my thighs were shaking for hours after. The up was hard and the down was harder. I would definitely do it again to see the beautiful views along the way and at the top.

consistent incline, lots and lots of steps. It was challenging. The scenery for the while hike is great. Nearly the whole trail follows a stream. Would recommend!

Great trail and worth the hike! I was disappointed to see multiple people on the trail with their dogs since dogs are not permitted on the trail. My pooch would have loved it, too, but we did not take her because of this. https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/pets.htm

A lot of stairs/steps. Steep, incline makes for a challenging trail. Great views at the top, despite the chimney top/pinnacle trail area being closed due to a 2016 fire. Unfortunate but you can tell people feed the local squirrel as they hang around the viewing area. We did spot a salamander and some pretty crazy looking snails and slugs.

Good challenging hike. Will be great when/if they open the pinnacle back up. Still worth it at the new scenic overlook.

Awesome hike. Would rate it as moderate. Plenty parking. Crosses river few times, beautiful. Steady incline, rocky and muddy (it was downpouring). Beautiful views at the top. Unfortunately the last bit was closed and gated off. Still worth it, beautiful hike.

Wow, this was not a planned hike. Our 3 month old was getting frustrated with being in the car so we stopped and decided we would hike this trail even with it being so busy. It is straight up but well worth the views. I would recommend. We were there at around 10:30 memorial day weekend and it wasn't too bad.

Definitely go early. We got there at 7am and there were already nine other cars there! There was a lot of mud and I was worried it would be slippery on the way down but it wasn’t. This hike is not for the faint of heart. Literally straight up the mountains with ALOT of stairs. The view is great though. It will be nice when the trail is opened back up all the way out to the rocks.

closed

Great and wide trail the whole way up. Be prepared for steep stairs but totally worth the challenge! Completed this at a moderate pace in an hour and 30 mins.

Absolutely loved this hike! My wife and I went for our 1 year Anniversary and it did not disappoint. The trail is a little difficult but the view from the top is definitely worth the hike.

Started at 8:30am on a Monday, catching a break between rain and was the only one at trail head. Trail is still technically closed. In all in took an hour and 12 minutes to complete, under 40 minutes to the top at a fast pace with a short break at the top near the chimney. Trail to chimney is closed by a gate but you have a great view of it. Overall great trail for a quick hike and a workout. Very wide with little to no mud. Lots of stairs.

Did this trail earlier today. It is technically closed and the parking area is coned off. We just parked a little further away and didn't have a problem with doing the hike. It was beautiful!!

Fun and beautiful hike up the mountain! The trail was easy and clear with several scenic views. Loved this trail!

Great waterfalls!!!

Is this closed still?

Have you ever climbed to a Buddhist monk temple? Or maybe Mordor? Well I haven’t, but this hike is what I would imagine it’s like trying to get to one of these places. You may not be met by robed men or a fiery eye but you do find miles of mountain views. I would argue that this is a better reward for a difficult trek. If you’re feeling crazy, or maybe inspired by “Free Solo,” you can climb the chimney top, but I was content watching others potentially maybe possibly fall to their death. My favorite is seeing idiots shotgun beer before they attempt to traverse a cliff side. *sarcasm* Just try not to be an idiot, and if you can’t resist being an idiot then we will let natural selection do its work. *not sarcasm*