Chimney Tops Trail

Chimney Tops Trail is a 3.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Gatlinburg, Tennessee that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from March until November.

Distance: 3.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,289 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Note: Users have reported that the last portion of the trail is closed due to fire damage. For more information, please see https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/operating-dates.htm Due to the spectacular views and short length, this is one of the more popular hikes on Newfound Gap Road, but that doesn't mean it isn't steep! Pace yourself, as the second mile is steeper than the first with almost 1000 feet of elevation gain in the last mile alone.

This hike was intense and fun. Lots of steps. I mean lots of steps. Took me about 50 min to hike to the top and I ran it most of the way back down. Well worth all the steps. The scenery and views from the top were so pretty.

wide trail for the most part a swimming hole at the trailhead in the river

This trail is definitely a work out on the way up. lots of steps. which I feel make it a little harder. it's a good hike if you like trails that are labeled as difficult.

Steep but well worth it- check weather before heading out as I saw a lot of people heading up just before the rain started

This is my favorite trail in the Smoky Mountains. Great view at the top. 1.75 miles of the trail is open, but the last .25 mile section is closed. You can’t get to the summit of the Chimneys anymore, but the view point right before the trail closes is amazing! Definitely worth the effort. There are several bridges across a beautiful mountain stream that runs along the trail most of the way up.

Steep hike up- I’m in pretty good shape and it was definitely a workout! Didn’t take any stops and made it up in about 45 minutes. I started around 6:45am and was the only person on the trail on the way up. I got 20-30 minutes on the summit to myself! Beautiful trail and great view at the top. Bummer that you can’t climb the chimney top though.

The trail was good. the latter half of the trail was harder than the first half. But it was worth all of it with the views at the top of the hike.

Pretty steep climb all the way to the top. Lots of stairs. Took our 6 and 3 year old, both of which made it to the top with lots of rest breaks. Carried the three year old back down. Some people ahead of us saw a bear. Trail follows river about half the way so that helps keep you cool.

This short, but very steep, trail really gets the blood flowing. It takes longer to go up than down, but, wow, the views up top are worth the effort. Even though you cannot go to the Chimneys, you still get great picturesque views of them. The swimming hole under the bridge at the trailhead is an added bonus.

We got there at noon and was not overly crowded on a Sunday. Views were very pleasant and even saw a bear on the hike up. Multiple opportunities to play in the river and some good size swimming holes.

Steep trail with beautiful views. I would suggest arriving early in the morning to miss the crowds and have the overlook to yourself! The last portion of the trail is closed but the views before it are 100% worth the hike.

For the optimal experience arrive early in the day before 9:30. Otherwise you will have to dodge travelers on their decent, with the trail being as narrow as two feet in places, that is a harrowing proposition at points. Perfect tree coverage for the duration of the trail. Hard earned reward of a first rate insta post will be obtained for anyone willing to deal with the arduous average angle of 25% while ascending the trail, well worth it.

Steep but definitely worth it.

This was a fun, relatively steep trail. It was pretty well defined and I would rank it as moderate in comparison to some of the hard trails around here. Cool views on the way up and beautiful area of the park!

Hiked this trail on 6/2 with the family and had a great time! It was the perfect blend of challenging and rewarding. I definitely got my heart rate up, but the views were worth it! It is interesting to see how things have changed since the fire, but you can tell the mountains are coming back to life!

It was not an easy hike, but it is definitely rewarding. It feels as if it’s much steeper then I remember prior to the fire - but then I’m much older now so I’m sure that plays a huge part of how steep it “felt”. Definitely enjoyed it

Tough hike, but survived it with 5 kids and two grandparents!

Even though you can no longer summit to the old cliff top, this hike still never disappoints. A steep climb to the top but you will be rewarded with amazing views.

It is basically straight up. Very steep. Many, many steps. Go early and take plenty of water. Take your time and you will be fine. Could not go to the pinnacle because of the gate. Beautiful views.

Tough trail with never ending steps. The view from the top is well worth it! Also beautiful streams along the way.

If you've only got a couple of hours and you want to experience the best of the Smokies, it's tough to beat this hike. Close to 1400' of elevation over a little less than 2 miles, mountain streams, and an excellent view as the payoff make this a worthwhile hike. Get to the trailhead early for parking - we got there a little after 8am and most of the nearby spots were filled.

Looks easy but tough. We know we won’t be able to get to the chimney top, which is not surprising. However, stopped by a gate add somewhat disappointing for the tough climbing.

Steep trail, lots of elevation gain in a short time but certainly worth the effort. There were some steps and a couple trees down on the trail that you have to go over or under but nothing challenging. The view at the top was lovely, even on a cloudy day. Would love to try it again when the sun is shining.

View at the top is worth the uphill hike.

This is such a beautiful trail. It is a lung buster as it is all uphill to reach the scenic point. The reward once you reach the top is breath taking. It was hard to leave the view. Good news is that it’s all downhill back to the car. I highly recommend this trail. We loved it!

Lots of stairs, last 1/4 mile still blocked off. Nice Trail and worth the Hike.

My husband and I are 52 years old and we are in good health and regular walkers. We took a nice slow steady pace and was able to do this hike without much difficulty. We were tired and sore by the end of the day but the hike was definitely worth it. Getting to the top and seeing the chimney was a fantastic reward. Even if you don’t make it to the top, this hike is worth it because the first third of the hike follows a stream of water and it is beautiful to hear the sounds of babbling water and birds.

Uphill for sure, 1.7 up and nearly 1 mile virticle. it is hard and woth every step.

I am a fairly new hiker and man, did this trail give me a work out. People aren’t joking when they say this trail is steep and hard. It is an incline the whole way up but the view at the overlook is very rewarding.