Chimney Tops Trail

Chimney Tops Trail is a 3.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Gatlinburg, Tennessee that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

As of June 2018, several users have reported that the last portion of the trail is closed. Due to the spectacular views and short length, this is one of the more popular hikes on Newfound Gap Road, but that doesn't mean it isn't steep! Pace yourself, as the second mile is steeper than the first with almost 1000 feet of elevation gain in the last mile alone.

I love this place. The trail is pretty tough. Very steep with a lot of steps but once you reach the top it was well worth it!

A little bonus hike for the day. You should know that you the last part of the trail is closed. When I went, I wanted to go past the gate but there was a ranger closeby watching the trail

Great views! Worth the hike!

I was pressed for time. So straight up, 10 minutes at the top, half walk half jog back down, total time was 66 minutes. I’m 42, lean, run 10 miles a week. Thought it might be helpful to someone to know it can be done in that amount of time. Definitely wish I had more time to take everything in, etc.

Great quick but Vigorous trail. The end is closed due to the fires but still a great walk with Beautiful scenery and overlooks

Not technically difficult, but definitely a work out! You are ascending almost the entire way up. The trail itself is not too scenic, but the views at the top are beautiful. The last portion is still closed, but many of the trees have recovered from the fire. We went in early July and the trail was very cool and shady.

In the very beginning there are a few spots you can go swimming so make sure you bring a swimsuit/towel. 99% of the trail you’re going uphill so it’s a definite leg workout. In addition to going uphill you’ll also be climbing hundreds of steps. But the view at the top is beautiful & definitely worth the hike if you’re up for it!

I did this one a few years before the wildfire, so I don’t know how it looks now. I’m sad to hear the top is closed.

It’s beautiful. The last part is hand-over-foot, but the rock gets super hot.

It’s very steep. Get an early start and bring water.

awesome short trek.....a leg workout 4 sure.....bummer the cliff top portion was closed....

Very nice hike. I took my wife and daughters age 7 and 10. It's a tough go, but a nice view at the end. In the summer, bring a swimsuit because there are some falls to swim in.

Nice hike. Great views enjoyed the sound of the stream during the hike. The new summit location was nice.

Great trail with an amazing view that is worth the hike. The last mile is steep but their are steps for part of it and the trail is well maintained. There are also multiple places to stop along the way if you need too.

Also, for the less ambitious crowd there are some beautiful falls less than 1/4 mile in that is not strenuous to get too.

Short but steep-buggy and humid in summer!

Beautiful scenery and river bridges. Pretty steep but worth it!

We had fun running the stairs! short but challenging. The new Summit area is meh.

This trail is very beautiful to hike, a nice end point with a great view. Running water most of the way to listen to, and many types of birds. It is on the top of my list of trails that are challenging to do, up up and away you go. Many stairs and up hill sections that just seem to go on and on, but if you stop and take a short break along the way you will be fine. I started the trail shortly after day break so the crowds were not present on the trail. The end is a platform with a wonderful view of the park, Stayed for 1 hour at top and hit the road prong trail to see the waterfall and cascade falls on the way down. That trail is walking up a narrow creek bed, and eventually it was over grown after the falls. It was worth the 1/2 to 3/4 mile to see the water features along it, no clear view of the entire falls but glimpses along the trail. By the time we headed the rest of the way down the main trail, the masses had arrived. Do yourself a favor and go early for many reasons, parking, lack of bugs and people. Bring water and walking sticks were a great help.

This is a truly incredible trail, but I don’t recommend taking it on if you aren’t at least somewhat experienced. There are a LOT of stairs on the way up and it’s very steep in places. But definitely worth it!!

Very challenging as uphill nearly the entire way but rewarding at the top with a great view. We knew going up the last leg was still closed but disappointing nonetheless. Pack light for the way up, not too long but it is a grind.

Ascending to the top was steep but the trail was very well maintained. No rock scrambling required, so I would rate it as moderate. The descending was a breeze! Beautiful view and water falls!

This was a very well kept trail. It was a steep climb but had a beautiful view at the end. There's 4 bridge crossings with great rock formations along the trail too. We started before 9 am and it wasn't heavily trafficked until on our way down closer to 11.

Pretty view at top (which really isn’t the top, but actual top closed since fire). Nice short hike with pretty much all elevation in last mile. Very doable though. Would rate as moderate even with steep last mile.

Good strenuous climb to a good view of Chimney Top.

My favorite went before sun rise got to the top to watch the sun rise was amazing!

This Trail is not closed; it is just closed at the top. The Vista is gorgeous when you get there. It also says it's near The Visitor Center, which it is not. It's at mile marker 9. You want to get there early to get a parking space.

Great hike

Incredible views!

Even with the shorter trail it is still awesome! Could sit up there forever!

Fairly rough incline trail, but well worth it in the end. I found descending much worse than climbing. My five year old tagged along too. Took approx 1.5 hours to reach the new overlook that was created post fire. Wish we could have made it to the very top but since the fires, no one is allowed.

This hike is nice but damn is it hard. I was miserable. Don’t let it fool you. If your even the slightest out of shape your gonna wish your dead by the time you get to the top. I’m kinda out of shape so I wasn’t too stoked about it. I saw even athletic people on my way up gasping for air. Keep in mind the higher you go the thinner the air becomes which makes it harder to breathe. Cheers..

Nice hike! I found it quite difficult towards the end. It is quite strenuous.... steep incline with lots of stairs. The gorgeous views along the way with the bridges and rivers alongside the view at the observation deck at the top made it worth it. It took me and my husband around 2 hours with several stops for water and pictures on the way up.