Chimney Tops Trail [CLOSED]

Chimney Tops Trail [CLOSED] is a 4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Gatlinburg, Tennessee that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

closed

This trail is closed until further notice. Chimney Tops trail starts behind the Visitor Center. The trail starts as an immediate 45 degree switchback and continues like that for about a mile to the first ridge. The terrain is not traveled frequently which adds both a sense of adventure and caution to the hike. The Chimney Tops Trail is one of the most popular hikes along Newfound Gap Road. The trail owes much of its popularity to its relatively short length, and its outstanding panoramic views from the pinnacles. Its length, less than 2 miles, however, makes for a very steep hike - so much so that many hikers don't even reach the top. The first half of the trail is relatively tame. However, to reach the summit, hikers have to climb more than 960 feet over the course of the last mile! This is similar to the rate of elevation gain youll find on some of the 14,000-foot peaks in Colorado.

Was one of the signature hikes in the Smokies and for good reason. Only reason it isn't five stars is because the majority of the trail is all incline with no views and decent scenery; however, the top of the trail was a ton of fun especially if you decided to venture out onto some of the rocky outcroppings.

My favorite trail so far! So glad I had the opportunity to climb it.

My favorite trail in college. After the fire, they say it might never open again

avoid during the day!! rocks get hot!!! beautiful views and well worth it.

The trail is still closed as of last week. Based upon the damage we could see from the road, it's going to be quite some time before it's reopened. This was a beautiful hike. You worked for the reward of the stunning view at the top and it was challenging. Even if you're not in tip top shape, if you bring enough water (more than just a bottle), and you take your time, you'll make it.

lots of stairs to climb but view is worth the effort

Best hike I've ever been on. Hopefully it won't be too long before it is reopened.

If you like a little scramble with your hike, this one has a great payoff in the end! Loved it.

This was my first big challenge in hiking I loved every minute of it!! My heart was broken when It caught on fire

I just wanted to point out that this trail is closed so that it can regrow from the wild fire that was started on this trail

I did this hike back in 2015, and just now adding it now...I'm sad to see this is closed because it is hands down the best hike I have EVER done! I went in September so it was chilly, there were beautiful colors on the trees, relaxing streams of water, and a great rock climb at the end. I am no professional hiker/climber, but the climb up at the end was EASY for me while still giving me a rush! I did this hike with a couple of my friends and we had a blast! I can't believe it's rated hard, but since I was with friends and we enjoyed it so much I guess that's why.

One of my favorite trails!! Very strenuous!

I heard it is wonderful but we could t access it today. They made it abundantly clear that the trail was closed, including barricading off the parking areas.

Amazing views!

rock climbing

Such a beautiful trail in the whole smoky mountain ranges. The happiness you get after hiking all the way and rock climbing in the end is priceless. I loved it! Felt sad after hearing about the wildfire.