Cedar Forest Trail

Cedar Forest Trail is a 1.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Lebanon, Tennessee that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Loop through one of the largest groves of Red Cedars in the US. Easy day hike.

Took my daughters Girl Scout troop on this trail near the end of May. it was a perfect trail for getting the girls acquainted with carrying their gear for an extended period of time. Trail markers are kept up very well and easy to follow as the path is kept up too. Went right as the park was opening so it was just our group, 14 not including the 3 Pups we had sniffing around. My Kiddo and I had a blast! About 95% of the trail is covered as the name would indicate so great for light rain or shine. I highly recommend this trail for kids as it's a rather gentle hike or if you are just looking for a relaxing way to spend an hour outdoors.

We stopped at the state park for a break from driving along I-40. It was a nice walk for a little over an hour. The trail is well marked with a packed dirt trail. There are some slight hills. We enjoyed walking between the boulders. When finished we had a picnic and appreciated the restroom facilities. No fee to enter this state park. Thank you Tennessee.

I wish I could go back in time and revisit as a ten year old. We took our 3 and 2 year old out for a small hike to get out after some snow kept us in. The trail is virtually flat with some very minor gain in elevation at one point. We turned the hike into an extended nature lesson for the kids. My 3 year old walked a mile of it without any problem. We had to step in when she got close to some of the sinks. The sinks have some gnarly rocks that would really scrape you if you lost footing. The cedars were fascinating, as were the various abundant rock formations. It got 4 stars because of the length and relative monotony. Some wonderful diversity of flora. We will be regular visitors from now on.

Enjoyable trail, not too long but enough to make a good hike. Always love going to this park, the staff are very helpful and friendly.

Nice trail in good condition. Well marked with a lot of sinkholes and "lava rocks". Great for all ages.

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Great 2 mile hike. easy to moderate loop. many rock formations and sinks. well blazed trail. not a lot of hikers on Sunday. Enough to see to keep it interesting. Shag Bark Trees cool too. Other trails nearby also. Definitely will come again. Good for kids 5+ beginner hikers.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Nice trail with not much traffic. I took my 4 and 6 year old today, and it was the perfect length. Nothing super spectacular in terms of scenery, but it was nice enough.

Monday, July 04, 2016

Nice easy loop, not too heavily trafficked even during peak season. Have seen lots of wildlife on the trail which makes it enjoyable. Good for dogs, a few access points for water and lots of new smells.

Saturday, June 18, 2016

good trail for my 10yr old son and myself

Saturday, May 28, 2016

What a neat little trail. It was a little rocky from time to time, but was well marked and easy to follow. It was a good time.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Very good, easy hike to take young kids on. Would do again.

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Nice rolling trial. Only 2 miles so it was a nice addition to Hidden Springs Trail.

Saturday, October 24, 2015

Nice, easy short hike. Leaves were beginning to turn making the scenery very pretty.

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

This is a pretty nice trail. Doesn't seem to get as muddy as the hidden springs trail. I recommend walking this trail plus another trail at Cedars of Lebanon since this one is only 2 miles long. Lots of moss and cedar trees everywhere...and large holes to look at.

Friday, March 27, 2015

This trail is only 2 miles but the hike was enjoyable. The trees are cedar and smell so wonderful; it really adds to the experience. There are a few beautiful open areas with trees spread several feet apart to help see the surroundings area nicely. Do note there is a neighborhood at the trail's beginning and the first approach is rocky. So, don't be scared off or judge the entire trail based of how it starts. Enjoy!

Tip: There is a 5 mile trail in the same park. Do that trail first to get in a nice walk/hike and get your step count up and finish off on this Cedar Forest Trail...the scenery on the 5 mile trail (Hidden Springs) isn't as nice.

Saturday, November 30, 2013

This trail is located inside the Cedars of Lebanon State Park. I forgot to clarify that in my previous review. Not sure why that's not explicitly clear in the trail location details/directions.

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Easy hike with some slight elevation changes over limestone outcroppings. Quick, dog-friendly hike with several sinkholes and well-shaded.

Saturday, February 02, 2013

An easy hike, great for taking a dog along on the trail. A couple of rocky areas, nothing too crazy though.