Cades Cove Loop Road

Cades Cove Loop Road is a 10.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Townsend, Tennessee that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

scenic driving

This road through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park runs through a lush valley, see wildlife & historic buildings Cades Cove is a broad, verdant valley surrounded by mountains and is one of the most popular destinations in the Great Smokies. It offers some of the best opportunities for wildlife viewing in the park. Large numbers of white-tailed deer are frequently seen, and sightings of black bear, coyote, ground hog, turkey, raccoon, skunk, and other animals are also possible. For hundreds of years Cherokee Indians hunted in Cades Cove but archeologists have found no evidence of major settlements. The first Europeans settled in the cove sometime between 1818 and 1821. By 1830 the population of the area had already swelled to 271. Cades Cove offers the widest variety of historic buildings of any area in the national park. Scattered along the loop road are three churches, a working grist mill, barns, log houses, and many other faithfully restored eighteenth and nineteenth century structures. An 11-mile, one-way loop road circles the cove, offering motorists the opportunity to sightsee at a leisurely pace. Allow at least two to four hours to tour Cades Cove, longer if you walk some of the area's trails. A visitor center (open daily), restrooms, and the Cable Mill historic area are located half-way around the loop road. Numerous trails originate in the cove, including the five-mile roundtrip trail to Abrams Falls and the short Cades Cove Nature Trail. Longer hikes to Thunderhead Mountain and Rocky Top (made famous by the popular song) also begin in the cove. Several designated backcountry campsites (camping by permit only) are located along trails. Only bicycle and foot traffic are allowed on the loop road until 10:00 a.m. every Saturday and Wednesday morning from early May until late September. Otherwise the road is open to motor vehicles from sunrise until sunset daily, weather permitting.

scenic driving

Very pretty, a lot of wild animals with was cool

So pretty! Saw lots of wildlife and the kids loved it! We got out and walked at a few spots! Great if you don't like to hike but still like to see the views!

scenic driving

Absolutely beautiful view. A good place to view the mountains from the ground level. We even saw a few animals, black bear, fox, turkeys, deer. A few of old houses.

The loop didn’t open until 10 am so unfortunately didn’t beat the crowd. Cars were bumper to bumper. A few trails off the loop were good but loop itself was not worth making the trip for. One bear so far away you couldn’t tell what it was without binoculars. Cars were too back up to get a good glimpse.

scenic driving

Saw a bear near the end! Great views!

scenic driving

Beautiful views! Interesting historical buildings. Plenty of places to pullover and enjoy the view without feeling rushed. Highly recommend for an easy scenic drive.

I need to go back and ride my bike early morning. I went during the afternoon and didn’t see any wildlife.

Amazing!!! Love it every time.

An easy ride on a paved loop. Rent bikes at the Cade Cove Campground $7.50 per hr. The deer and bears are out in the morning. Start the ride early, the bike shop opens at 6:30am. The loop road is closed on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 6:30am to 10:00 am to vehicle traffic, but open to foot and bike traffic.

scenic driving

Favorite part of my trip! Get here early, lots of traffic but views are fantastic!

scenic driving

This always gets high reviews but both times I've gone I was underwhelmed. Also, people stop for everything and once you are in loop it is hard to get back out if you don't want to wait.

The Loop was beautiful, we saw 2 black bears and got an excellent workout in. With a road bike definitely an easy ride, but in those rental cruisers I’d say moderate because they don’t handle hills well, and there was definitely a lot of them. If you decide to bike this go In the morning, they shut the road down to vehicles on Saturday between the hours or 7 and 10. We went when the roads were open and it was pretty much traffic and dodging cars. Still an excellent ride and I’m happy we did it.

Perfect loop for bicyclist. The better the bike the better the ride, used all 27 speeds several times. It is open only to foot or bicycles Wednesday and Saturday mornings till 10 AM. I got there late and had to ride amongst bumper to bumper traffic which really slowed me down and disallowed me to pick up speed going downhill and use the momentum to get me up the next. This caused me to work harder for an incredible leg and cardio workout. Will enjoy again soon I hope. Saw bear cub and two wild turkeys.

scenic driving

Absolutely gorgeous!   This is probably my favorite part of the National Park.  Just a beautiful drive with plenty of stop offs.  Great valleys and mountain ranges in the background.  It does not open till 10am on Wednesdays and Saturdays so plan accordingly.  Also it is kind of way off in a separate area of the park so if you are thinking of stopping at the various historic buildings along the way and maybe adding in the hike to Abrams Falls plan this to be the only thing you do that day.  Plus the drive out there is just nice with some places to pull over and look at the view of the river.  Finally, we went in early May and there was a lot of traffic, as it gets closer to the summer expect significant traffic and delays.

scenic driving

Great drive with spots to pull off and take pictures!

scenic driving

Lots of cars but it was still nice. Saw a mamma bear and two cubs napping in a tree.

wow what a wonderful hike

This loop takes you back in time. It never ceases to amaze me what our forefathers were able to accomplish

I will avoid every trail along this path from now on. It takes an hour + to do with cars constantly stopping and going and all tourists who likely aren’t hiking.

VERY crowded and because it's a one-lane one-way road, you feel rushed because there's a line of cars behind you. So stopping to enjoy the view would mean backing up traffic in the middle of the forest. We caught a very tiny & quick glimpse of a bear that was very far away and in order to do that we had to pull over into the grass, get out of the car & walk to make our way through a heard of cars & crowd of people who were standing on the tip of their toes trying to see passed the person in front of them. There was a blockade set up so people cdnt get further in to see & some people were on the blockade to see if they catch a glimpse of the bear. We managed to make our way to a boulder that was big enough for us to stand on. just as we finally got up there and was able to see something in the distance, a ranger came and told everybody to disperse. so then you have a crowd of people trying to get back to their vehicles all at once. We sat in our car for what seemed like forever because we couldn't get out. it was a disaster. And we drove 2 hours to get there for that. I think the idea what Cades Cove was supposed to be is a great one, but when you take that idea and put it into practice it's a disaster.

scenic driving

Very fun drive and lots to do! Enjoy scenery....saw several baby deer too!

scenic driving

One of my favorite places. Can be a little crowded at times. They have a salt lick in the middle of the field for tourists to see bears but you usually them along with deer and other wildlife along the roadside.
The trailhead to Abraham’s falls is located at the old gristmill. That’s a hike worth taking.

scenic driving

My fiancé and I arrived at Cades Cove around 8:15 AM on Saturday morning. When we got there, there was already a rather large line. The path is a great theory, but it was so unbearably overcrowded that it made it harder to enjoy. Many vehicles kept pulling off in hazardous positions to take photos. We ended up actually seeing three black bear, which was pretty incredible. Very congested; it took us over three hours to complete (with the usual amount of stops).

Saw a couple of black bear. The views are breathtaking at some spots.

scenic driving

Beautiful drive. The scenery is beautiful. Lots of wildlife - saw a bear up in a tree. The only bad part was the traffic. Ugh. Made the drive not nearly as pleasant as it could be.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Beautiful!! We saw several deer and a black bear. Loved it! ❤️

Monday, July 03, 2017

First time seeing bears so up-close!

Thursday, June 29, 2017

My wife and I have now walked the loop twice since June 2nd. The loop is moderate in certain areas but is an amazing different perspective than even biking it. Next time will be at night on with a full moon.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

I biked this loop this morning with a rented bike. get there very early if you need to do that. they sell out. the early morning is the best time to see the mist on the mountains and see the wildlife

Monday, June 19, 2017

I biked it a few years ago. Arrive early and on time. Great ride even with the clouds and mist.