Cable Trail

Cable Trail is a 0.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Spencer, Tennessee that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

This was fun! The hardest part was the beginning. It was relatively short, but it leads to a breathtaking view. I wouldn't advise bringing children though.

A very short but steep climb down rocks to get to the incredible waterfalls and swimming hole. We had a large group with dogs and kids so they had to stay behind. My 10 year old niece was able to climb the rocks easily. We did jump in but the water was freezing! We had to help each other get out of the water. I would not recommend for dogs or young kids.

This is a great day hike spot. The top does appear to be a challenge but you quickly discover great large footholds that make it rather simple to climb. It is a lot of fun and the view is so worth it!

Trail can be a little intimidating but the view is totally worth it.

Definitely a difficult trail, but it is completely worth it for the view of Cane Creek Falls at the bottom. This view is far better than the other two overlooks.

A little short and pretty sure I could do it barefoot.. but it’s beautiful

True, it isn’t very long...but it is TOUGH. I hike regularly on all types of trails and terrain, and as the review states, this is for experienced hikers. I feel like most of these reviews don’t accurately prepare first timer for the vertical decent and how it’s essentially scaling a rock wall in one area. Not for dogs and I personally would not attempt to bring children on this one. The falls at the bottom are BREATHTAKING though!

Cool trail. Plan on doing the Cable Trail, Fall Creek Falls, and the swinging bridge at Piney Creek Falls on the same day. All short but amazing.

I had a blast on this hike, only bummer was length. I wish it was just a little longer! Make sure you wear good shoes, it got wet and slippery in places but overall I had a great time. 4/5 stars for me due to trail length, 5/5 otherwise.

To short to call a hike but a great place to swim and nice waterfall.

My friends and I hiked this once--very difficult and rewarding lol.

There are two waterfalls into a swimming hole at the end of this trail so don't forget to bring your swimwear. It's definitely worth the climb down which gets a little daunting during the rain.
Some places might be a little too sketchy for kids or older folks as you need to have sufficient reach and flexibility while descending.

Exciting trail with a great end point, nice swimming hole.

A great trail for those wanting a little more than a casual walk.

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Worth the challenge.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Beautiful!! Short, a bit difficult, but well worth it!

Sunday, March 12, 2017

This trail was totally worth it. I didn't want to do it at first but my brother talking me in to it! You can't use the cable the whole way down but use it when you can reach it. We made use of the tree's roots the majority of the way down, easy to grip and hold yourself. Definitely a must do! Not sure it's it's great for kids or not, supervise them!

Saturday, February 11, 2017

One of my favorite trails!! It's short but very intense so it keeps your heart pumping! I take my kids (7 & 9) but they need A LOT of help getting up and down. Be prepared to rock climb for part of the trail. There's a gorgeous waterfall at the bottom for swimming and cliff jumping. And if you want to get in a couple more miles, you can hike down river.

Tuesday, November 01, 2016

This was our first hike in Tennessee and it was amazing! The views were beautiful, but I was not prepared for this trail. We thought we were at a different one.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

You start off hiking, then your rock climbing. But once you reach the bottom, its well worth it. ;)

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Its amazing I'm not going to spoil it but it's easy once you get down a certain part definitely try it though

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Great view of falls from the bottom!!!

Saturday, September 17, 2016

It was worse going down than coming back up. The view at the bottom was well worth the climb down. The falls were barely running.. but still worth it..

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

Somewhat challenging but definitely worth it. Certain parts of trail you will not be able to hold on to cable. It was easier going up if you could believe it. Awesome view at the bottom.

Monday, July 18, 2016

Absolutely stunning! Everything you could want in a trail and waterfall(s). Little known fact, these falls were filmed in the 1994 Jungle Book ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF-e8yveajw )

Friday, June 10, 2016

We did it years ago and loved it but do not have the upper arm strength to do it now.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

very difficult but fun

Friday, October 23, 2015

My friend and I did the cable trail today and it is a once in a lifetime type experience. Like others have said, there is literally a cable running down the center of the trail and you will use it, at times it is the only thing that keeps you from toppling down the 120 feet to the bottom. The trail doesn't appear too steep at the top but it gets very rough about 20-25 feet into it. I'm 5'8" tall and there was one part where I had to hold on and slide on my rear end down a rock until my feet touched the next rock - but every last bit of sweat was worth it to see Cane Creek Falls and Rockhouse Falls from the bottom. The "beach" area is very rocky but it looks to be great for swimming. We had our lunch on the far left side, we felt occasional drops from the waterfall that cooled us down. You can scramble around on the rocks and work your way to the area behind Rockhouse Falls, which makes for some really great photos. We were the only people down in the area for about twenty minutes and then we were joined by three other people. I would NOT recommend small children on this trail, it would be impossible to hold them and descend (or ascend on the return) and keep them safe. One wrong move could mean life or possible death, so don't take your chances with your children. Large, fit dogs should be just fine, I also would NOT recommend small dogs with short legs. Wear good hiking shoes or boots/shoes with a lot of and put EVERYTHING in your pack, you'll need your hands the entire way! Have fun and take your time!

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Fall Creek Falls has so many great trails but the cable trail is my favorite. What it lacks in length it makes up for in difficulty. The views from the base of both Rockhouse and Cane Creek Falls are stunning as is the rhododendron in late Spring.

Monday, October 12, 2015

Tough going down. It was early and wet from recent rain. I was surprised how I managed to figure out best way down. Once I got down, it was very
Much worth it. What a view. October 11th so it was very nice in addition to the falls. The trek back up was easier in one way but more difficult in another way. When I got to the top. I was out of breath and legs burnings like fire. Took a short break, couple gulps of water and this 53 year old man continued along paw paw.