Cable Trail

Cable Trail is a 0.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Spencer, Tennessee that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

I did this trail this past weekend. I stopped by the visitor center and asked about this trail. The lady at the desk was very nice and told me this would be difficult and the trail would be a little slick from the rain. I grabbed my pack with my pup loaded up and we headed out. The first look down was a little daunting. I love hiking yet I’m scared of heights. Go figure! The first 10 fret descent was easy enough. There was a section that you are not able to reach the cable and it’s almost a straight 5 foot cliff face. This part is a little tricky, especially with a dog strapped to your back. We made it down pretty easy after that. The view was worth it. Absolutely amazing. The hike back up was easy to get up til the one troublesome spot earlier. This is a steep climb so your heart will race.

Def. not for beginners or those not in good health. Also I am 5"5 and halfway down for a good portion of the cable trail I had to go without being able to hold onto the cable because it was up too high so keep that in mind for anyone 5"5 or shorter when doing cable trail. It was also very hard to find the trail head and the GPS directions kept taking you to another trail head when cable trail is on another road farther down from where the directions tell you it is. Despite those difficulties the hike was well worth it with the view and was a great place to swim.( make sure to bring a life jacket as it gets very deep towards the falls). Also watch for snakes in between and under the rocks. I saw two snakes in the rocks today.

Very steep trail that requires use of a cable to navigate. The swimming hole at the bottom is worth the effort but you should be experienced at rock/mountain climbing. Do not bring children or pets!

I took my kids last year when they were 9 and 11. They were like a couple of mountain goats. It is a very steep, rocky trail that requires you to hold onto a cable for parts (thus the name). I wouldn't recommend for just anyone (super young kids or dogs), but we enjoyed it. Fun, short trail that ends with a very pretty view of Cane Creek Falls and a swimming hole.

This was fun! The hardest part was the beginning. It was relatively short, but it leads to a breathtaking view. I wouldn't advise bringing children though.

A very short but steep climb down rocks to get to the incredible waterfalls and swimming hole. We had a large group with dogs and kids so they had to stay behind. My 10 year old niece was able to climb the rocks easily. We did jump in but the water was freezing! We had to help each other get out of the water. I would not recommend for dogs or young kids.

This is a great day hike spot. The top does appear to be a challenge but you quickly discover great large footholds that make it rather simple to climb. It is a lot of fun and the view is so worth it!

Trail can be a little intimidating but the view is totally worth it.

Definitely a difficult trail, but it is completely worth it for the view of Cane Creek Falls at the bottom. This view is far better than the other two overlooks.

A little short and pretty sure I could do it barefoot.. but it’s beautiful

True, it isn’t very long...but it is TOUGH. I hike regularly on all types of trails and terrain, and as the review states, this is for experienced hikers. I feel like most of these reviews don’t accurately prepare first timer for the vertical decent and how it’s essentially scaling a rock wall in one area. Not for dogs and I personally would not attempt to bring children on this one. The falls at the bottom are BREATHTAKING though!

Cool trail. Plan on doing the Cable Trail, Fall Creek Falls, and the swinging bridge at Piney Creek Falls on the same day. All short but amazing.

I had a blast on this hike, only bummer was length. I wish it was just a little longer! Make sure you wear good shoes, it got wet and slippery in places but overall I had a great time. 4/5 stars for me due to trail length, 5/5 otherwise.

To short to call a hike but a great place to swim and nice waterfall.

My friends and I hiked this once--very difficult and rewarding lol.

Monday, July 03, 2017

There are two waterfalls into a swimming hole at the end of this trail so don't forget to bring your swimwear. It's definitely worth the climb down which gets a little daunting during the rain.
Some places might be a little too sketchy for kids or older folks as you need to have sufficient reach and flexibility while descending.

Saturday, June 17, 2017

Exciting trail with a great end point, nice swimming hole.

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

A great trail for those wanting a little more than a casual walk.

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Worth the challenge.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Beautiful!! Short, a bit difficult, but well worth it!

Sunday, March 12, 2017

This trail was totally worth it. I didn't want to do it at first but my brother talking me in to it! You can't use the cable the whole way down but use it when you can reach it. We made use of the tree's roots the majority of the way down, easy to grip and hold yourself. Definitely a must do! Not sure it's it's great for kids or not, supervise them!

Saturday, February 11, 2017

One of my favorite trails!! It's short but very intense so it keeps your heart pumping! I take my kids (7 & 9) but they need A LOT of help getting up and down. Be prepared to rock climb for part of the trail. There's a gorgeous waterfall at the bottom for swimming and cliff jumping. And if you want to get in a couple more miles, you can hike down river.

Tuesday, November 01, 2016

This was our first hike in Tennessee and it was amazing! The views were beautiful, but I was not prepared for this trail. We thought we were at a different one.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

You start off hiking, then your rock climbing. But once you reach the bottom, its well worth it. ;)

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Its amazing I'm not going to spoil it but it's easy once you get down a certain part definitely try it though

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Great view of falls from the bottom!!!

Saturday, September 17, 2016

It was worse going down than coming back up. The view at the bottom was well worth the climb down. The falls were barely running.. but still worth it..

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

Somewhat challenging but definitely worth it. Certain parts of trail you will not be able to hold on to cable. It was easier going up if you could believe it. Awesome view at the bottom.

Monday, July 18, 2016

Absolutely stunning! Everything you could want in a trail and waterfall(s). Little known fact, these falls were filmed in the 1994 Jungle Book ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF-e8yveajw )

Friday, June 10, 2016

We did it years ago and loved it but do not have the upper arm strength to do it now.