Bullhead to the Pulpit

moderate 129 reviews

Bullhead to the Pulpit is a 7.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Gatlinburg, Tennessee that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options.

Distance: 7.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,807 feet Route Type: Out & Back

icy

Great snow hike. There were areas of heavy mud, especially the last 3/4 mile before reaching the pulpit. Very quiet this morning and actually walked up on 4 tom turkeys. Got within 10 feet of them.

Hiked in late April 2019- first couple miles are wooded then as you climb higher some beautiful views open up! The higher you get, the better. We had the trail mostly to ourselves. But back then this trail was not on AllTrails. I loved this trail and highly recommend it! Not too hard but brought some food for refueling at the pulpit but was ready for a meal at The Pancake Pantry when we got back to Gatlinburg.

Great hike, super windy on that ridge tho, I was freefalling on the wind for a few seconds. Very beautiful to see all the new growth after the past Gatlinburg fires.

difficult and snake filled trail but, the spectacular views, rock formations make for a great hike. the trail travels thru burn areas from the 2016 Gatlinburg fire. this fire opens up the area making views extraordinary. hurry and hike before it grows back.

It's a difficult trail if going up. First 2ish miles coming up is wooded then the views up the ridge are wide open do to the unfortunate fire. the last 2ish miles are mostly wooded but beautiful, especially the mossy areas toward the top. Highly recommend.

We took bullshead trail up towards Mt Leconte. We didn't make it to the top due to time. This would be a 6+ hour hike round trip. Beautiful views but steep and rocky!

We hiked this trail in May and there were some pretty overgrown parts - to the point where you could hardly see your feet. I had to put my fear of snakes out of mind! Remarkably, we didn't see any snakes (emphasis on see) or even have any ticks on us when we returned to the car. The trail goes through some fire-damaged areas with - at that time of year - new, green, undergrowth. A special kind of beauty for sure. I would hike this trail again and go all the way to LeConte.

incredible views of the aftermath of 2016 fires.

We did Mt. LeConte as a two day loop in February and I was pleasantly surprised by how awe inspiring it was. We spent most of the hike below freezing temperatures but this helped with the mud on parts of the trail as it had been raining incessantly over the weekend (Gatlinburg and the surrounding areas had lots of flooding) We went up Rainbow Falls trail and down Bull head. I would recommend this direction as you can focus on the waterfalls going up and the incredible views from Bullhead going down. I was worried that Rainbow Falls would be impassible with the rain but don’t worry, it was easy for us the day after severe flooding. Lastly the LeConte shelter was suitable - a simple frame with three walls and tarp covered door - but definitely primitive. If you stay here you will have about 30 inches of space wide per bunk, about 8 bunks across (plenty long for gear to fit as well) and two rows high. This didn’t bother me a bit especially with only three people in the shelter that night but I wanted to give an idea of the sleeping arrangement since pictures are hard to find on this shelter (not to be confused with the LeConte Lodge, which is a group of enclosed cabins nearby). A regular told us there were mice as well but I didn’t hear or see any. I would use this shelter again if I go back - the lack of weight from my tent made it worth it!