Buggytop Trail to Lost Cove Cave

Buggytop Trail to Lost Cove Cave is a 4.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Sewanee, Tennessee that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Ample parking close to trailhead.

Overgrown trail. From the pictures here I thought there was going to be an overlook... I only saw the cave (didnt bring a flashlight). so if you like caves and bring a flash light, this is for you.

Took our family of different ages and our 2 seasoned hiking dogs. Found the terrain the the caves too steep for the dogs/grandma to get down or we feared back up safely. Striking view at the fork to go to the caves. Hike is a pretty constant upward grade the majority of the back track. Beautiful but wouldn’t do again personally.

Great 4 hr hike with the family, good for pets.

Such a nice hike...it was a muggy day, but when you get to the cave, it really cools you off. I really enjoyed the hike.

solid hike with a nice rewarding view and a cool cave at the end. undulates quite a bit so you never get a solid feeling of an "uphill vs downhill" cave closed 11/1-5/1 if that is part of your consideration.

loved this trail. went with a friend. the end view is worth it

Have been doing this trail for many years. Nicely maintained !!! New configuration of trail much better than that from the late 80's. Cave at the end of the trail is easy if equipped right (3 sources of light and helmet) if only one light just poke around in the twilight of one of the three entrances. Lower entrance is among the most impressive in the state !!

Nice trail with beautiful views and cave.

The trail was great, and the cave was amazing! You definitely need headlamps if you want to explore it. It was very open inside and not too far to the other entrance.

I would have rated this higher, but the trails were so overgrown, and hard to see that we often had to turn around or risk getting lost. We were attempting to get to the bridge. Eventually, we drove around to the other side and saw the bridge, but we were not able to find the connecting trail there either.
It's a beautiful area, but a shame that we couldn't do the whole hike.

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Easy to guide. Tricky terrain at times, but my 3yr old completed it w/o having to be carried. He was so proud

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Enjoyed the trail, lots of small wildlife and the cave was very interesting. Next time a change of clothes to explore the cave deeper.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Awesome trail! Very well maintained. It is quite a bit of work getting down to the cave (and more to get back up) but it's so worth the effort!! We will definitely be back!

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Great hike with the wife! Took about an hour to hike in closer to an hour-twenty back out. Be prepared for an uphill climb on the way back out. The reward is so worth the effort. Standing in the mouth of the cave is like standing in front of an air conditioner. Took tons of pictures and saw an armadillo during the hike. We will be bringing our 8 year old son back to this one!

Saturday, May 20, 2017

Great family hike. We had a 6 and 3 year old with us. My 6yo hiked the whole thing in about 3 hours, with a snack break at the mouth of the cave. My little one was in and out of the back carrier.

The return is much more up than down.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Moderate trail with some fairly steep descents down to the cave. This was an awesome hike and the most amazing cave I ever saw with the river flowing from within the cave. Was an unexpected find didn't know the river emerged from within the cave. AWESOME. WILL BE BACK FOR SURE.

Sunday, March 05, 2017

Loved this area

Sunday, March 05, 2017

Beautiful area. Enjoyed our hike today

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Loved the natural bridge and the buggy top cave trail was great with beautiful scenery and a waterfall that flows out of the cave..

Wednesday, January 04, 2017

Went with friends, and next time will take flashlights to explore caves more.

Sunday, December 25, 2016

Very nice and well maintained trail. The trail was identified the whole way so never got off trail. It was not very physically demanding until climbing around inside the cave. I took my 8 and 11 year old sons with me and they kept up with no problem. Very fun day hike. Will definitely go back abd check the cave out more. Thank you to everyone that helps maintain that trail.

Monday, November 28, 2016

moderate trail with some rock scrambling thrown in
as you descend towards the cave entrance most impressive cave entrance I have seen so far

Saturday, November 19, 2016

We had a great time...and was worth the hike.

Friday, November 11, 2016

Must see.

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Took the whole family and it was kinda hard just watch for rocks and the cave was a blast... really enjoyed our day!!!

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

I loved this trail! it's moderate. I went with a friend and it was beautiful!

Monday, July 04, 2016

Great hike in a rural area. All the hike is under the canopy and out of the sun. A mildly strenuous portion of the elevation change was limited to the last few hundred yards, the rest was very manageable. Bring a headlamp or flashlight if you wish to explore any of the cave. Also wears shoes that can get wet if you care to explore around the cave entrance or along the downstream.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

CAVE IS CLOSED FROM NOV 1 to MAY 1 every year to protect bat hibernation. But the trail is open all year. Forestry services will often show up to make sure no one is in the cave when there are cars in the parking lot.

Cave is amazing and fun to explore for hours. No gear needed, just gloves and a flashlight and a good pair of boots. Trail is rocky but well maintained. About half of it is all downhill to the cave and very steep when you arrive to the entrance.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

First time caving and it was a challenge, being 5'1", but I loved it! Beautiful hike.

Saturday, February 06, 2016

Rated easy, but lots of rocks. Watch your footing. Beautiful hike!