Brushy Mountain Trail

Brushy Mountain Trail is a 11.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gatlinburg, Tennessee that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 11.2 miles Elevation Gain: 3,064 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Good hike. Walking under grotto falls on the way was cool. The trail is half way to LeConte Lodge. We went in July and it was very muddy and grown up so it was hard to walk the narrow path without brushing up against the bushes. Also, harder to see out.

Less traveled marvel. About a 4 mile drive down a stone road to get to the trail head, but worth it. Even saw a bear cub cross the trail from the river about 40 yards in front of us.

Nice trail ! steady incline no up and down some trees on the trail though. beautiful view at the top although the top is just bushes that hide the view during the picnic ...

This trail was beautiful all the way up from Grotto Falls. You pass multiple creeks flowing over the trail. Even though the trail was foggy all the way up and we didn't see a view at the end because we were in a cloud, the beauty of the trail made it all worth it. You have to hike behind Grotto falls in order to continue on the trail up to Brushy Mountain which was super cool! it wasn't too hard of an incline, it was just the right amount of incline, and leveling out.

Friday, August 03, 2018

Great views from the top. I don’t find it all that strenuous, but I go up past Grotto Falls.

Saturday, June 23, 2018

Took the trail via Grotta Falls. The Falls were very awesome and I was able to hike underneath them to get to the other part of the trail. The first stretch was extremely busy but after the Falls there were much less people hiking to Brushy Mountain. The Mountain itself had some great views but it was extremely muddy. There were also lots of bees at the top of the mountain

Thursday, March 08, 2018

beautiful in the snow

Tuesday, November 21, 2017

wow way up there!!! great fall hike...

Monday, July 31, 2017

This is a wonderful summer hike. Until the last 0.15 miles, you are under the tree line, keeping you relatively cool. Like another reviewer said, don't go just after a rain or the last 0.1 mile will be an impenetrable mud way. The foliage changes and insect variety on the way up/down is fantastic.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Went by way of Grotto Falls. Got up to Brushy Mountain and it was so thick with mud we had to turn around. Still got some great photos and saw some amazing views. Would like to go back when it hasn't rained in a while.

Monday, June 05, 2017

Vigorous uphill climb on well maintained trail. Enjoyed passing Grotto Falls and Trillium Gap on the way to spectacular view. If allergic to bees, do not take this trail. They didn't bother us but there were hundreds of thousands at the top, just doing their job. The sound of their buzzing was incredible.

Monday, April 03, 2017

When I went it was snowing and there was about 4.5 inches of snow throughout the entire hike. It was amazing. Hike was exactly as described. Great view, but not 360 degree.

Monday, September 12, 2016

Hiked up from Grotto Falls. Real nice climb beautiful view. With cute and tiny foot path at the end.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

I enjoy unique challenges on a trail but the overgrown briar patches were brutal on my legs. Should've worn pants. Views up top made it all worth it.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Gets your blood pumping. Hiked through from Grotto falls. I liked the narrow intimate path that leads to the 360 view at the end. My guide said there was a clearing at the summit, but there was none. Saw one snail, mole and squirrel on the way.

Tuesday, February 02, 2016

To reach the Brushy Mountain trail, drive to the end of the road at the Greenbrier section of the GSMNP and hike in 1 mile on the Porters Creek trail. At the circle, Porters Creek trail continues left. Brushy Mountain trail is on the right just past the short spur to the Messer barn and historic Smoky Mountain Hiking Club cabin, worth a visit. The Brushy Mountain trail climbs steadily and in some spots steeply with some views of Mt. LeConte and the high ridges of the Smokies along the way. As you near Trillium Gap Brushy Mountain comes into view. The ridge that makes up the mountain is covered with rhododendron and sand myrtle, so it is easy to recognize. At 4.5 miles you reach Trillium Gap. Make a right turn to stay on the trail to the summit. It is 0.4 mi. to the top with good views of Mt. LeConte on the right side and Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge on the left. Short spur trails lead to a couple viewpoints. The return is back the way you came. This out-and-back hike is a good workout - about 3000 ft. elevation gain - but with some nice views and small waterfalls along the way.

Friday, July 10, 2015

Adam Prather is spot on in his review. I can't remember a trail I detested more. Best part was the Trillium Gap junction that leads to Mt. LeConte which was my terminus.

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Not a fan. I hiked from Mt LeConte to Porters Creek trail and did not enjoy my time spent on this trail. This trail apparently doesn't see much traffic considering the overgrowth that I waded through in parts. I also hacked through dozens of spiderwebs along my way; I was a lumberjack of spiderwebs...a spiderwebjack if you will. The only saving grace is that this is in the Smoky Mts therefore there was some beauty to be seen on this peregrination.

Monday, May 13, 2013

Hiked via Porter Creek trail in early May. There were plenty of wild flowers but the Rhododendrons where not in bloom yet. The view from the top was spectacular. The trail appears not to be used much as there was heavy growth and narrow up to the top. Do not forget to see the more than 130 year old homestead near the Brushy mountain trail head.

Sunday, June 03, 2012

We started this hike at Porters Creek in the spring. The trail was narrow and thick with small plants. It was very thick on each side of us and we could not see very far in either direction. There was rhododendron boiling along the way. We were seeing bear scat about every hundred yards which made us nervous. Once we arrived at the top the view was spectacular. When we arrived back at Porters Creek we decided to hike up to a waterfall I read about. I thought the falls would be to our right as Porters Creek was rushing along there. We didn't find it and was just shy of the campground so we started back. We finally found the falls on the opposite side once we were close to the trailhead. It had gotten a little dark so our pictures were not the best. Eric and Karen

Friday, April 06, 2012

Hiked to the top Via the Grotto Falls trail. Very crowded up to the falls, but then we left the Crowd behind. Its only about 6 or 7 miles if you take the Grotto Falls trail. The Views from the top are absolutely breathtaking, and there is alot to see on the way! One of my favorite hikes so far.

Friday, March 23, 2012

I have made this trip four times already. I just love the view. It is a pretty moderate hike, but for me well worth it. It's about 3 miles each way. The path is pretty easy until you get past Grotto Falls. If you have a few hours you want to spend on a peaceful hike I would definitely recommend it.

recorded Brushy Mountain