Booker T. Washington Trail

Booker T. Washington Trail is a 6.8 mile loop trail located near Chattanooga, Tennessee that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.8 miles Elevation Gain: 531 feet Route Type: Loop

Great trail! This loop is well maintained and easy to follow. There are a couple spots with good access to wade into the water if need be. Almost the whole trip is very well shaded. For example, when I went for my walk it was in the 90s. But with the ample shade and an easy breeze I only felt mild heat. The trees! My god the trees! I could die for the time spent absorbing the beautiful arbors that line this trail.

Well defined trail with a great view of the lake. Lots of poison oak right up to the edge of the trail. All benches that were along the trail have been demolished many moons ago. The biggest downside is that the trail was very Spider-y. I walked through at least 20 webs across the trail. I finally picked up a stick and waved it around in front of me to knock the webs down. All-in-all a fun short hike.

As a new hiker, I had some difficulties to go around the trial, My phone lost signal since the beginning of the trail, other then that, Is a great trail with many option

Surprisingly fun and extensive trail! Great views of the lake along a well maintained, gnarly trail. I’d imagine could stay very wet for a few days after rain and be quite buggy/overrun with poison ivy in mid summer. But our mid spring ride was really enjoyable!

Not the most scenic hike, LOTS of retread, but someone has put a LOT into upkeep. Trails are the most clearly defined I’ve seen in a long time. NOTE: I stayed on the trail the entire hike and it was 7.7 miles, not 6.8. Not a bad thing, just take note to plan for that extra time and distance. Most of the hike was very easy.

Good ride a few muddy spots but not bad considering all of the rain lately

recorded Recording - Jan 27, 03:19 PM

I would've rated a 5 except parts are really close to the road. Well marked and lots of birdwatching.

Trails were a little muddy in several low lying places and standing water in a few areas nothing too sloppy. Saw a few washed out sections near creek crossings but understandable with the amount of rain we have seen lately. Riding is good and enjoyable.

A solid walk accessible for area residents. I frequently take my dogs (BC mixes: active/energetic) to let it out. The walk is scenic and requires minimal exertion for those interested in walking the whole loop. As a naturalist/trail runner, i appreciate; even prefer when the maintenance is somewhat lacking and trees are fallen in some portions of the trail. There are a few muddy spots for a few days after rain. Its a true “wild” area that i hope remains minimally impacted and rough for those of us wanting a quick dose of nature.

There are no mountain bikes allowed on this trail (there's another mountain bike trail at the park) so I don't know what the bikers are talking about, or they've reviewed the wrong trail. Same with the pier. It's not on this trail. I ran the route pictured. Ran the outer loop and inner loop 2. Horrible. Poorly maintained. MANY felled trees. I mean almost impossible to traverse in some areas. Lots of litter. Broken glass, beer cans, food bags. I think I may be the first human to have run this thing this year. Spiders galore. Covered in them. Knocked down about a hundred webs. Poorly marked signage and very narrow. Water is pretty though. 63rd fastest trail 10k I ever did, so don't come here if you're looking for speed.

Saturday, July 14, 2018

Fairly easy trail beautiful sunsets at the pier

Friday, June 01, 2018

Nice little loop with several nice views of the river. Definitely watch sunset on the pier.

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Easy hike with pretty lake views. Thev pier at sunset is a must see.

Thursday, July 06, 2017

A more advance biking trail. Some very narrow places. Trail not marked or kept up very well.

Sunday, March 05, 2017

Nice park

Saturday, March 04, 2017

Great trail for beginners! Hike time around 3 hours

Monday, February 27, 2017

Simple walk, but really nice atmosphere. I think it was better overcast- something about the docks and the water just made the afternoon relaxing and peaceful.

Monday, October 24, 2016

One of my most favorite biking trails that I've ridden. Perfect opportunity to learn your bike's gears with all of the tough and exciting with fast turns, difficult climbs and various sized roots.

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Hiked with my dog and lots of roots as others have said. I recommend starting at the upper trail head so you save the view of the water for last, the forest wasn't much to see when it's cloudy out in February!

Monday, October 20, 2014

Hiking this with my 4 & 6 year old girls was a good time. They loved it. If we continue doing it I'm sure I'll be trail running just to keep up. ;)

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Lots of roots but overall a nice ride. Pretty decently kept, nice views, and drains well.

Thursday, October 10, 2013

This is one of my favorites near home. The trail is located in the park with several starting points and intersections. My dog and I love walking along the trail with plenty of chances for him to cool off in the bay. Plenty of opportunity to see deer and other wildlife. Lots of roots so it can be a bit bumpy for bicycles. If you go on the weekends, don't be surprised to see greyhounds running ahead of cyclist or labs playing fetch in the water.

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Great trail! It has different length loops. I hiked the longest: 7 miles. Even after a lot of recent rain it is not muddy. It seems well kept up and has some great scenic views.

Saturday, November 17, 2012

I could not find this trail. Where the app said the trailhead was I only found a nice new gated community of duplexes. I wandered around and got a couple miles in running around some clay fields where it's obvious big trucks go mudding. There were lots of small rocks and low brush. Not very friendly to foot traffic. If this trail still exists I hope someone submits another review with directions.

Saturday, June 23, 2012

I enjoyed this trail, it's plagued with alot of roots. Be prepared for a bumpy ride!! It had some fast down hills and flowed well. The inclines are brief,rewarding more down hills. I also encountered an enormous doe and other wild life.

recorded Recording - Jul 05, 01:44 PM