Big Frog Trail is a 10.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Copperhill, Tennessee that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and backpacking and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.8 miles Elevation Gain: 2,319 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Big Frog is a beautiful tail and definitely worth the hike. This was our first overnight backcountry hike. Felt a little less backcountry at the front end, but becomes much more backcountry feel as you ascend. This defintely isn't for the faint of heart. There are some solid areas of constant incline and will require breaks usually, unless tire one I'd the ultra athletes that ran past us on the tail. We camped up top, where there are 3 campsite options. This is not a hike full of unobstructed scenic views, and in the summer you'd be lucky to see much beyond the trail.

1st of all it is actually 12 miles,6 up and 6 down,if you go all the way to the top where the trail ends.It is a very strenuous climb to the top.Trekking poles are a must for this trail.My friend and I are relatively new to hiking but we made it up and back in pretty good shape.Take your time and rest some along the way.We saw about 3 or 4 inches of snow today on top of the mountain and it was awesome.Very enjoyable day.

Trees obstruct most views but the forest is pretty to walk through. The camp at the top of Big Frog mountain is flat and spacious. Be aware, NO reliable water source on this trail at all!

Tue Apr 02 2019

Rocky in some places, great views when walking the rim. Nice flowers along the way.

Mon Mar 11 2019

This trail offers so many different terrains, (a few Rhododendrum tunnels) and breathtaking views, that it's well worth the big 10 mile hike! I wished we had started earlier in the day (before it was daylight savings time) so that we weren't hiking in the dark back to the 4Runner and could still see those views. Planning to do this hike again in the Fall, so we can always have that view. Oh...Hiking poles saved my back and legs....a must!

Sat Feb 23 2019

This is a great day hike if you are going up from the Hwy. 64 area at Powerhouse #3. This hike was fun with several friends to the top of Big Frog. With all the rain we have had in the area, it was still a great hike and the trail wasn’t washed out like many other. I would highly recommend this trail to any hikers.

Thu Sep 13 2018

This trail was fun because it was new to me! I saw a bear cub near the beginning and a bunch of wild pigs/boar at the top of the mountain. First time seeing a bear out on a trail and it scared the hell out of me.

Tue Aug 21 2018

First time out to Big Frog wilderness. Definitely a wilderness area! Some of the trail overgrown and not many water sources. Some nice primitive camp sites along the trail (usually around trail intersections). I set up camp at a nice grassy spot at the intersection of Rough Creek. Very pretty forest but disappointed there were no great views along the way. I was teased hiking along the ridge line but no clearings to look out. Rather disappointing summit as well. I saw a bear cub twice though and a few hawks. No blazes so be sure to have a map and watch your intersections.

Sat Oct 14 2017

Not a bad hike overall. We went in September so there was still much greenery and not a lot of views. The rhododendron tunnel was the highlight of our trip. We backpacked overnight and found a nice little campsite tucked away at about the halfway point. Probably wouldn’t go again for lack of scenery, but we enjoyed the time that we did have there.

Wed May 31 2017

a wilderness trail which is tough unless you are a seasoned hiker. I have had to rescue many folks from this mountain. Mostly from ankle, hip and shoulder injuries from falls.

Sun Apr 16 2017

Hiked this trail at the beginning of April. The trail was very well maintained overall with the first mile or two a quick, yet manageable incline before becoming steady and quite peaceful. After maybe mile 2 or so it becomes a steady, challenging ascent to the summit. There was an area that I could see becoming slightly overgrown in the summer but would still be manageable. I enjoyed the view towards the summit, though there were plenty of trees around that steal any good chance for a 360 view. Definitely a hike worth doing. Saw no bear or really any wildlife. I had no trouble getting to the trailhead once on the dirt road, but be aware the dirt road is located behind some utility facility, which could be somewhat hard to find at first since you actually have to pull into the lot of the facility and find the dirt road behind it.

Wed Mar 29 2017

For a couple of guys from South MIssissippi, we found this trail very enjoyable. We did it as part of a loop between Big Frog Trail and Licklog Trail. There were some blown down trees, but that's hiking. Very nice campsites throughout the trail. We decided to camp at the top of Big Frog Mountain. It's a tough trail with a backpack on but well worth the time. There is a potential water source east of the campsite. On the hike out, we came across a spring about 1/4 mile out. You can't miss the field of moss covered rocks. There were some signs of bear and other animals but we had no problems with any critters.

Fri Mar 24 2017

This trail is actually 11 miles round trip, not 9. It's a good hike with 2,000 feet in elevation gain. Not too scenic. I think some sections may be a little difficult with the overgrowth of vegetation. I really enjoyed it though.

Mon Mar 20 2017

This was a fun trail to hike. I went with a group of guys and we all go to Lee University. We hiked this trail for about 2 hours in the day light and then hiked the rest by flashlights. It was a pretty hard hike up the mountain but the views were awesome.

Mon Feb 20 2017

Difficult trail, very natural and unmaintained. Lots of logs down this past summer 2016.

Mon Jan 30 2017

I hiked to the summit from FS 221, looping back on the Fork Ridge (#69) and Rough Creek trails (#70). For a designated wilderness, I was surprised to find the trails so well marked and maintained. Only Grassy Gap (#67), marked by a cairn at its spur coming off the Chimney Top, had no posted sign. Just one substantial blow-down on the 12 mile route - near the bottom of Rough Creek before the ascent back up to #64. Nice camping areas abound, particularly at each trail intersection. A kind wilderness!

Wed Oct 14 2015

excellent uphill hike traversing the big frog wilderness area from its northern boundary to its southern border. the trail ends at an intersection atop the summit of big frog mountain. there are numerous types of interesting flora and fauna along this trail, and a handful of campsites scattered throughout.

Tue Sep 22 2015

Update. Have now completed to top of Big Frog. Forest service says 5.5 miles. Round trip on my GPS put the round trip at 12.8 miles. The first leg up to intersection of trails 67 and 73 is pretty easy. The next section up to the BMT intersection is a steady uphill climb. Definitely the hardest part of the trail. Just below Chimney Top we encountered a family of black bear. We watched them forage for about fifteen minutes until they went on their way. Continued steady climb through two mountain laurel tunnels. Very cool. Limited views at top even though you're at 4,222 feet. Signed the logbook and headed back to the jeep. Round trip time was just over four hours.

Mon Aug 31 2015

We only hiked Trail 64 to the Trail 70 intersection and back as we had limited time but wanted to get some walking in. Only saw one other person on the trail. The first stretch of the trail was all uphill at least to the sign marking the entrance to the Wilderness Area, but then leveled off. Would recommend hiking late fall to early spring while the leaves are off the trees to take advantage of the vistas, which are blocked when the trees are full of leaves. Will definitely come back later in the season and hike the entire trail.

Sat Apr 05 2014

The trail is a quite nice hike. It took us about 3 h to the top (5.5 miles) and less than 2 h back to the parking lot. Only the view from the top is disappointing, you can't see anything but trees.

Mon Jan 13 2014

These are some moderate trails with some decent views in the Big Frog Wilderness. They seem to be pretty remote, as far as amount of people on them. Plenty of options to choose from for a route in and out. We have made a few routes through this area in conjuction with The Cohutta Wilderness to the south.

Thu Aug 27 2009

ok so i did this trail today and by far it was horrible. I had such high expectations for climbing this mountain but when i got to the top there wasnt any views and neither was there along the way. trust me i looked. there was one spot where you could just look through the trees and kinda see something but you really had no clue where you were according to the geography of the land. i mean i could have hiked in my backyard for 11 miles rather than climb a mountain and never even see where i am going or what. i mean there are like what 20 mountains in the area with scenic views of big frog mountain but non on the mountain. also when you start climbing the mountain there are way to many over grown areas where you almost need a machette to move through. horrible and in the hot summer sun it is worse. also at alot of the supposedly trail crossing there are torn down signs so you cant remember which trail is which and when you get to the top there are like 40 different trails and you cant even find the right one to get off the mountain if you didnt want to go back the way you came. you couldnt find any trail at the top. all the descriptions said lots of views well there aint. i am an experienced hiker and this is the biggest let down ever. signs torn down when you get to the top of the mountian so unless you already know where you going or something then you dont have a clue where to go cause there is so much over growth that nothing can be found