Big Creek Gulf, Big Creek Rim, and Stone Door Trails Loop

Big Creek Gulf, Big Creek Rim, and Stone Door Trails Loop is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Beersheba Springs, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

2086 feet

Savage Gulf has multiple trail sections. This loop includes the Big Creek Gulf (BCG), Big Creek Rim (BCR) and Stone Door (SD) Trails to create a 9.5 mile loop. Savage Gulf is located near Beersheba Springs, Tennessee. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

Like Mary, I also took Laurel out. It added to the mileage, but my companion was gassed, so we took easy mode to complete the loop. I did this trail because of the hard rating, and that ascent did not disappoint my expectations. I thought that climb was going to end like 5 times before it did, lol. I didn't make it to the falls though. My lady isn't that great on rock yet. Initially, I was disappointed because I thought we took the easier way. On closer inspection, I will tell you there is no "better" way to do this trail. The madman that designed it made it where no matter which way you go, you're screwed. I took the GSD straight down into rock hell and then had to climb my way out of it. Touche, trail designer. Touche indeed.

My son and I did an overnight here. Went from the Savage Gulf Ranger Station to the Stagecoach Road Site. Beautiful views and a challenging trail. We had a great time, and look forward to going back. The only issue we had was the trail sign for Stagecoach Road was knocked down by some deadfall after some storms, and we almost missed it.

Did a combination of SD, BCG and Laurel. Skipped the Rim this time for a slightly lighter easier day (the ascent at the end of BCG is tough). Pretty views at the start. Did the Ranger Falls spur, and it was definitely worth it.

Technical trail, but very nice bring good rock shoes!

Stunning views and a variety of trails to choose from make this a great place to hike. I wish I had packed a lunch because an impromptu picknick on the ridge would have been fantastic. Definitely recommend this spot for hikers.

We did the BCG to Alum Gap, with the final ascend under heavy, heavy rain, which made it even tougher. It was very rocky at times. Still beautiful and challenging. From Alum Gap we did a 3 hour hike to Greeter Falls and back---some more overlooks and impressive falls. Due to the unforgiving rain we cut our trip short and took Laurel Trail back to the ranger station, not the rim trail as we had originally planned. Worth visiting!

The Ranger Falls spur is well worth taking as well.

Did about 6mi round trip, starting at Stone door and then heading towards Ranger Falls. Tough and beautiful!

I hiked in and out to my campsite last week by taking the rim trail. I was going to do the loop but it was later in the day and after hearing the ranger's warnings and standing on the bluff and seeing how far down (and back up) the river was I chickened out. Came back earlier today to tame this beast. It was extremely beautiful but it was hard due to the elevation changes which are almost 1000 ft.