Big Creek Gulf, Big Creek Rim, and Stone Door Trails Loop

Big Creek Gulf, Big Creek Rim, and Stone Door Trails Loop is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Beersheba Springs, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

2086 feet

Savage Gulf has multiple trail sections. This loop includes the Big Creek Gulf (BCG), Big Creek Rim (BCR) and Stone Door (SD) Trails to create a 9.5 mile loop. Savage Gulf is located near Beersheba Springs, Tennessee. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

We did the BCG to Alum Gap, with the final ascend under heavy, heavy rain, which made it even tougher. It was very rocky at times. Still beautiful and challenging. From Alum Gap we did a 3 hour hike to Greeter Falls and back---some more overlooks and impressive falls. Due to the unforgiving rain we cut our trip short and took Laurel Trail back to the ranger station, not the rim trail as we had originally planned. Worth visiting!

The Ranger Falls spur is well worth taking as well.

Did about 6mi round trip, starting at Stone door and then heading towards Ranger Falls. Tough and beautiful!

I hiked in and out to my campsite last week by taking the rim trail. I was going to do the loop but it was later in the day and after hearing the ranger's warnings and standing on the bluff and seeing how far down (and back up) the river was I chickened out. Came back earlier today to tame this beast. It was extremely beautiful but it was hard due to the elevation changes which are almost 1000 ft.

nice challenge for our scout troop

If a challenge is what you want I'd say this one is for you. It can get very strenuous heading back up the mountain once you get down. We began on the Stone Door trail and carried on from there. Got rained on, but there are plenty of good trees to fabricate a temp shelter. Loved the scenery!!!!!

Fantastic Views.
Trails are good.

I took the BCG trail to Alum Gap and spent the night, taking the BCR back to the ranger station. Due to the recent rainfall the Big Creek water level has risen significantly causing Ranger Falls to be inaccessible. On the plus side the water falls are going full force. Really beautiful. For an experienced hiker I'd say this hike is more on the moderate side rather than difficult. This trail is also doable for dogs, my shepherd had a blast. We'll be back in the summer!