Learn more

Big Creek Gulf, Big Creek Rim, and Stone Door Trails Loop

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(329)
South Cumberland State Park

Big Creek Gulf, Big Creek Rim, and Stone Door Trails Loop is a 8.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Beersheba Springs, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 8.7 mi Elevation gain 1,574 ft Route type Loop

Rocky

Scramble

Description
Waypoints (2)

Savage Gulf has multiple trail sections. This loop includes the Big Creek Gulf (BCG), Big Creek Rim (BCR) and Stone Door (SD) Trails to create a 9.5 mile loop. Savage Gulf is located near Beersheba Springs, Tennessee.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (329)
Photos (1287)
Recordings (211)
Completed (743)
Kim Fortenberry
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 29 2020
HikingMuddyRocky

Great trail. I started at Stone Door and went down to BCG to get the big elevation changes out of the way. The rocks coming down from stone door were slick in a lot of areas and I slipped a few times. I highly recommend wearing ankle covering hiking boots if you have them. My day would’ve turned bad real quick making that descent if I wore my trail runners. The creek was dry until ~1.5 miles from Alum Gap. There was plenty of water available if you need it, just fill up before you start your ascent for easy access. I only saw a ribbon snake as I started my climb back up. There are some trees still down from previous storms. Most have been cut through to clear the path but a few times I had to either climb through the branches or go off trail to make my way around. Once I got to the campground, a storm rolled through so I took the Laurel trail back out since it’s shorter. Luckily I had cell service at the top and was able to text a friend my location and ETA in case I got into trouble with that storm. My advice: Take your time on the elevation changes as they are fairly steep and you’ll be just fine. Bring rain gear just in case. Tell someone where you are and when you expect to be finished.

Ryan Godbey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Jun 26 2020
Hiking

We really enjoyed this one. We started at Stone Door and did the Big Creek loop. There are some great views along they way. Trails are well maintained. The waterfall and creeks were dry, which kind of sucked but was still fun. The ascent back to the top is intense! 45 degrees for quite a while. Loved it! Stone door was interesting and apparently there is a resident copperhead around but we never saw it.

Jennifer Moore
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 22 2020
HikingRocky

Great trail! I’m glad we took the advice of other reviewers and started with Big Creek Gulf trail and hiked the harder trail while we were still fresh. It’s a very technical trail with lots of rocks. The steady uphill climb to Big Creek Rim trail is challenging but once you get to the top it’s an easy hike to the end with beautiful views!

Chad Wildman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 21 2020
HikingBugsRockyScramble

Great trail! I started on the Stone Door trail, and then took the Big Creek Gulf trail. This trail was very rocky, I would recommend sturdy hiking shoes. This trail runs by the creek, and then heads up to the Big Creek Rim trail. The last portion of the trail goes pretty much straight up. Great workout! The temp by the creek was nice, but in the BCR trail the heat increased. The views along the rim are spectacular, and the Stone Door was also very cool. Make sure you take plenty of water, the creek was pretty much dry.

Navyashree Raghoji
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 20 2020
HikingRocky

This trail is great if you are training for bigger hikes and the views are un beatable. Make sure to bring lots of water and snacks as this is a tough hike. I would reccomend starting at the stone door trail and then looping around rather than going to the camp site trail first. This way you can get your major elevation gain and loss in the first half of the trial and the second half is just a cool down. Please make sure to wear ankle support hiking shoes as there are many chances for you to twist your ankle without one.

View Navyashree's Recording
Keith Dayton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Jun 05 2020
Hiking

I came in at Greeter Falls, went down to BCG, up to Stone Door, then back to Greeter Falls on the BCR. Very nice trail, extremely well marked and cleared for so much growth during the summer. Pretty well shaded and under tree cover the entire trip, and many great sights along the way. If you are on the BCG, it is definitely worth the 1.0 mile roundtrip spur down to Ranger Falls. I made it there around lunch time and had the entire place to myself. It got much warmer than I expected even with all the tree cover, so please come prepared with water or a filter, and sufficient calories to keep you going. Also, not to scare anyone, but definitely watch your step. Not only for footing purposes on rocks and roots, but there are many places for snakes to hide out on these trails. Luckily, I was being overly cautious about it and saw a rattler under a rock on a bluff before I could get too close for comfort. Just take your time, watch your step, and enjoy the beautiful sights. I ended up at about a 13 mile day loop at just under 6 hours. Enjoy!

Kelly Jo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jun 04 2020
Hiking

My dog and I hiked this yesterday- started at Stone Door and headed down to Big Creek Gulf Trail. Per recommendation by the ranger, we took a side trip up to Ranger Falls and had the place to ourselves. Then took the rest of Big Creek Gulf up to Big Creek Rim Trail back to the top of Stone Door. The slow elevation gain from Ranger Falls to BCR kicked my butt. Next time I definitely want to add Greeter Falls. Almost stepped on/ ran across multiple snakes (one for sure a rattler) so watch where you’re stepping. It was hot & we started at 11:30 so make sure you pack enough water if you’re out there in the heat of the day. My pup and I went through 2L and then I filtered 2 more at one of the easily accessible water spots along BCG. Great trail, lots to see. 9.66 miles, 1680ft elevation gain in 4 hours 22 minutes

Kelly Jo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jun 03 2020
Hiking

My dog and I hiked this 6/3 - started at Stone Door and headed down to Big Creek Gulf Trail. Per recommendation by the ranger, we took a side trip up to Ranger Falls and had the place to ourselves. Then took the rest of Big Creek Gulf up to Big Creek Rim Trail back to the top of Stone Door. The slow elevation gain from Ranger Falls to BCR kicked my butt. Next time I definitely want to add Greeter Falls. Almost stepped on/ ran across multiple snakes (one for sure a rattler) so watch where you’re stepping. It was hot & we started at 11:30 so make sure you pack enough water if you’re out there in the heat of the day. My pup and I went through 2L and then I filtered 2 more at one of the easily accessible water spots along BCG. Great trail, lots to see. 9.66 miles, 1680ft elevation gain in 4 hours 22 minutes

View Kelly's Recording
Blazer 21
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Jun 02 2020
Hiking

A buddy and I hiked this trail two days ago. Our mileage turned out to be just over 13 miles. Took us between six and seven hours. 30 minutes of this was to take in the multiple water falls and sites along the first half of the trail and then lunch at stone door. We entered the trail at Greeter Falls 8:30a and followed it counter clockwise to stone door then came back along the Rim Trail. Lots of locals swimming and recreating at greeter falls etc. Glad we got on the trail early because passing back by the falls on the way back at the end of the loop was like a scene from a waterpark around Greeter Falls. Overall, Really scenic Trail with lots of water features. And the stone door portion of the trail is absolutely amazing. Side note: Our boots and bodies took a beating on this trail, so really bizarre to see how many casual people on the trail in flip-flops especially around stone door which is the most technical portion of the trail!! Enjoy

David Sehrt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun May 31 2020
Hiking

Great trail. Highly recommended. Well marked and in good condition. Guidance from other hikers to go out on BCG and back on BCR good advice.

View David's Recording
mike pedrazas
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu May 28 2020
HikingMuddyRocky

Superb trail! Makes for one heck of a day loop. I added Greeter Falls to my trek (1.4 miles out & back). Worth it! Some killer bluff views along the way. I would highly recommend starting to the left. I did not, haha. Made for some rough inclines after an 11 mile day. Saw about 20 people out, mostly at Greeter Falls. Couple strong pups out today too. Rained yesterday and some this morning, really got the water moving!

Jason J
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed May 27 2020
Hiking

BCG is a technical trail, especially coming down from/up to Stone Door. BCR is relatively mild and level with some great viewpoints. Recommend going clockwise. I did it as a day loop from Alum Gap campground. Trekking poles recommended and be sure to take the Ranger Falls spur. Unexpected bonus.

Josh Merritt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon May 25 2020
HikingRockyScramble

Amazing hike through south Cumberland State Park! Definitely recommend.

View Josh's Recording
Brian Tapp
HikingRocky

You will pass three or four sweet overlooks on the approach trail to Stonedoor. We declined down the stone door section first with a steep descent down into the valley. Once on the BCG trail it became rocky in parts for most of the valley section. I enjoyed it, my wife, not so much. Rated hard for a reason... Anyways make sure to do the Ranger Falls spur trail, i is well worth it. Definitely one of the highlights of the loop. After about three miles in the valley you make the ascent back up to the ridge and BCR trail. Once on the BCR trail it’s a 4 mile cake walk back to the ranger station. One of my top 3 day loops in the park. Total closer 10 miles.

View Brian's Recording
Rob Repass
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun May 17 2020
Hiking

One of my favorite hikes in all of the region. I go in at Greeter Falls take that trail to Alum Point then down into the big creek gulf. Up at Stone Door then back on the BCG rim trail. 11.6 miles and 1773 elevation climb. Take the time and effort to visit Ranger Falls. Well worth the trip.

Bobby K
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri May 15 2020
Hiking

Hike this scenic lollipop loop clockwise (SD>BCG>BCR>SD). Doing it counter-clockwise (SD>BCR>BCG>SD) ends with a brutal climb out of the gulf.

Kristofer Sydnor
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon May 11 2020
Hiking

Great trail for a day hike! Coming out of the gorge on BCG was definitely a nice challenge.

Dallas Jessup
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun May 10 2020
HikingRocky

Stellar trail! Highly recommend taking the left when the loop starts if you want the inclines upfront. The Stone Door & water sights are more along that part of the trail. It then ends with pretty standard wooded area to end the hike for last 2-4 miles. Stunning views. Good hiking shoes are recommended. It was wet/muddy in some parts but nothing slippery or worrisome. A ton of trees were knocked down on the path from this last week’s storm so be prepared to climb / duck. This says it’s dog friendly but it’s pretty rocky / challenging so consider your dog’s limits if you plan to do the whole loop. Enjoy!

Cheney Hess
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu May 07 2020
HikingBlowdown

Hidden gem has it all! Saw very few people beyond the trailhead. There are several fallen trees blocking the path but otherwise very well maintained. Exercise caution at the creek crossing for the ranger falls side trail.

View Cheney's Recording
Emmett Halgren
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat May 02 2020
HikingRocky

Second time here and it was great! Highly recommend!

Alex Koszeghy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Apr 30 2020
HikingMuddyRocky

Very nice trail... a bit steep by stone door, but great viewpoints and areas to view the water.

View Alex's Recording
Devin Lackey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Apr 02 2020
View Devin's Recording
Camille Ziegler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Mar 27 2020
Hiking

Great trail. It’s very tough but great.

View Camille's Recording