Big Creek Gulf, Big Creek Rim, and Stone Door Trails Loop

Big Creek Gulf, Big Creek Rim, and Stone Door Trails Loop is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Beersheba Springs, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

2086 feet

Savage Gulf has multiple trail sections. This loop includes the Big Creek Gulf (BCG), Big Creek Rim (BCR) and Stone Door (SD) Trails to create a 9.5 mile loop. Savage Gulf is located near Beersheba Springs, Tennessee. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

Stunning, but tough. Our group quoted “rock hell” a few times on the ascent.

Beautiful October day for hiking. I went down to BCG from the Stone Door. It’s not quite ‘rock hell’ as someone else said, but it is rocky and rugged—more a rock purgatory. Highly recommend trekking poles and closed-toe shoes/boots. I went up to Ranger Falls as well which was a good side trail—flowing nicely. Yes, the climb up BCG to Alum Gap is straight, steep, and strenuous. I stretched out a hammock at Alum Gap and took lunch and a nice break. BCR is a delightful trail with occasional overlooks and plenty of beautiful woods—a nice amble.

Big creek Gulf is the harder of the trails. When you get to the split from stone door we took Big Creek Gulf for a major downhill adventure. There was a dry creek bed for a lot of the hike and just before it starts with the uphill elevation there is a nice waterfall to stop and refill water and have a snack or lunch. The last mile to 2 miles is a beast. At one point it felt like the incline was almost straight up and was never going to end lol. Definitely a workout. Big creek rim is a fairly easy trail with a few viewpoints overlooking the mountains. If you want to start hard and end easy this is the way to go. If you want an easy start with a bang for an ending take Big Creek rim to big creek Gulf. It was roughly a 9-9.3 mile hike. I had two gps monitoring distance and those are the numbers I got.

Fun loop! Pretty standard woodsy Tennessee scenery, but the Stone Door is a really awesome, unique feature...add in some nice views and a waterfall and you've got a recipe for a great day hike. I started around 8am on a Saturday and didn't see a soul until I reached the Alum Gap camp area, but the parking lot was full when I left. I'd rate the loop more moderate, but the climb to Alum Gap at the end of the BCG trail is a doozy for sure. There are quite a few sections of the BCG that are rocky and pretty slick--if you have weak knees or ankles definitely wear supportive footwear and maybe bring trekking poles, especially if it's a wet day. The BCR trail fairly easy and mostly flat, so don't be discouraged from taking it even you're gassed from the climb out-- the views are lovely. In total the trail including the Ranger Falls spur took me right at 5 hours with a short break for lunch. Temps were in the upper 60s and I drank about 1.5L water.

I'd rate more moderate than strenuous

Like Mary, I also took Laurel out. It added to the mileage, but my companion was gassed, so we took easy mode to complete the loop. I did this trail because of the hard rating, and that ascent did not disappoint my expectations. I thought that climb was going to end like 5 times before it did, lol. I didn't make it to the falls though. My lady isn't that great on rock yet. Initially, I was disappointed because I thought we took the easier way. On closer inspection, I will tell you there is no "better" way to do this trail. The madman that designed it made it where no matter which way you go, you're screwed. I took the GSD straight down into rock hell and then had to climb my way out of it. Touche, trail designer. Touche indeed.

My son and I did an overnight here. Went from the Savage Gulf Ranger Station to the Stagecoach Road Site. Beautiful views and a challenging trail. We had a great time, and look forward to going back. The only issue we had was the trail sign for Stagecoach Road was knocked down by some deadfall after some storms, and we almost missed it.

Did a combination of SD, BCG and Laurel. Skipped the Rim this time for a slightly lighter easier day (the ascent at the end of BCG is tough). Pretty views at the start. Did the Ranger Falls spur, and it was definitely worth it.