Big Bald via Appalachian Trail

Big Bald via Appalachian Trail is a 6.4 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Erwin, Tennessee that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

Probably didn’t plan (food mostly) as well as we should have for a 13+ mile out and back but once we started we were committed to reach Big Bald. Gave it 3 stars bc it’s 95% forest with only 1 vista before the summit. While it was a good physical challenge it got monotonous at times. Didn’t see much wildlife - one deer, a few birds and some butterflies. Big Bald was glorious so there was THAT! Took us 6 hrs including a 20 min rest at the top. Saw only a handful of people the entire trek.

Very tough trail. Harder than I thought it'd be. View from top is gorgeous.

This hike was beautiful but a little tougher than I planned on. Also mileage I recorded was 13.5, every .5 mile counts. Beautiful at the summit.

Friday, June 16, 2017

On the way a group of deer kept me company. Made it to the top just in time to set up camp and watch the sunset. Completely alone at night, watching the towns twinkling far below made me feel like I was the king of the world!

Sunday, October 16, 2016