Bells Bend Loop Trail

easy 84 reviews

Bells Bend Loop Trail is a 4.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Nashville, Tennessee that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.4 miles Elevation Gain: 206 feet Route Type: Loop

Bells Bend Outdoor Center 4187 Old Hickory Blvd Nashville, TN 37218

Fantastic bird activity. Good less traveled area in the early AM.

Easy...flat and level but poorly marked and muddy in places. No shade. Great for kids and dogs.

Nice hike through a field with a couple of stretches along river. Pretty peaceful on a nice afternoon. Not a lot of interest other than the lack of people and noise. Quite a few doe and like most places Leah rules aren’t enforced and are ignored by people who always know better so be a little cautious for everyone’s “friendly” dogs. We had a put make a nip at my wife’s leg but I’m sure that completely unusual since the owner didn’t even have as leash.

Great easy trail to do and the dog really enjoyed it.

Good spot for winter time bird watching. Make sure to bring water and a snack. Will be muddy after rains

Mon Jan 28 2019

PERFECT if you have a dog that needs to run (maybe even while you do), this is the spot for it. Most of the trails are mowed pasture so you have visibility and they can do their thing. Most of the folks I saw out there seemed to be of a like mind. I know the review shows only a 4.4mi option but I got 10mi in today and didn’t cover everything. Nice little trail system but certainly nothing fancy or terribly challenging.

Tue Jan 01 2019

Nice easy, wide open hike. Basically flat. Good for dogs. Muddy from yesterday's rain, wear waterproof shoes. Trails poorly marked - download map and have compass. Also, we did the 2.4 mile loop, but you can also extend to 4.

Tue Dec 25 2018

Christmas Day was a perfect time to take tucker dog and explore Saw only one other person and felt the spirit of the holiday Open space and clean crisp air All good

Mon Dec 24 2018

No trails just paths mowed by a tracker.

Sun Dec 02 2018

Nice spot even in winter, very dog friendly and a nice easy hike. Trails are poorly marked but app made it easier to figure out.

Mon Nov 26 2018

Love Bells Bend. Perfect Place to bring your pup. Even if the lot is full of cars you’ll feel secluded. So, so many different paths you can take to vary the scenery - the river, flowers, streams, ponds, wooded areas. Perfect place to run. (Avoid during the beginning of tick season though; encountered tons of this tiny bastards.)

Mon Oct 22 2018

I really enjoyed this trail. Honestly, I almost changed my mind halfway there from reading the reviews below. However, I thought it was a great trail. Yes, you're walking through open fields, but it had a lot of wild flowers, bamboo, cat tails, and other colorful grasses. I think this trail would be perfect during the winter months, because you do get direct sunlight the whole time. The path is extremely flat and was great for my dog. I'd definitely recommend this trail to anyone who has a dog who wants to do some running. Also, there is a 2.5mile option and the longer 4.4 mile one, was nice to be able to choose.

Mon Oct 08 2018

The Bells Bend Loop is completely open, no shade to speak of, so I was very lucky that I happened to try this trail on a beautiful overcast day. Othewise, I am sure I would have been miserable in the open sun. The hills offer nice views of the valley especially by the pond near the beginning. The day I was visiting, there was fog rolling over the high areas. Closer to the Cumberland River, there are several vantage points for viewing. Another reviewer said there was no access for dogs or humans to get to the banks which isn't entirely accurate, but you would need to be very confident in your step to attempt the climb down! I saw a large hawk fly from the woods near the river, and I suspect bird warchers may really enjoy this spot. Many people have complained about there not being markers anywhere on the trail which I did not find to be the case. Some of the signs are hard to read and badly in need of updating, but I had an easy time navigating the park. As a matter of safety, one should always have a map and/or GPS as a backup for any trail. Choose the day wisely, and you'll enjoy the open fields.

Mon Aug 20 2018

If you enjoy adventurous woodland paths, this is not for you. It was like visiting a farm where they'd used a large mower and had mown paths without any real destination in mind from field to field, then put up an outdoor center, and called those paths, "trails". There are no markers, so you may want to use a map or GPS and bring water on hot days. There is no water around, except the river, which is not accessible or humans or dogs.

Sat Apr 07 2018

Peaceful but not necessarily scenic. Two loops. Wide trails.

Sun Dec 17 2017

Trail is nice if you like walking around in an open field. Very peaceful this time of year (December). We were lucky to see a barge coming down the river and the bluffs on the other side were cool. There are no clear signs or markers where the trails start or split off. It’s hard to know which direction you are going.

Sun Sep 10 2017

A great spot if you're looking for something more quiet. I went on a beautiful Saturday in September and saw no one else on the trail. Make sure to bring bug spray. As the trail neared the river I was covered in giant mosquitos. But a great spot for a nice walk with the dog or an easy trail run. Also, I was pleasantly surprised to see that there's a small outdoor bouldering wall next to the nature center!

Wed Aug 16 2017

Least favorite park in TN. The grass trails all intersect and don't have markers,along it confusing and easy to get lost. The wooded trails are covered in spiderwebs. After an hour wandering around this park, I left covered in chiggers and spiderwebs.

Fri Jun 30 2017

My favorite place for a walk in Nashville

Sun Apr 16 2017

There was no scenery or anything. I guess it could be good for someone who likes to walk unpaved trails and lives close by, but it wasn't worth driving an hour for. We mainly went to get pictures of the barn, so that was neat, but nothing else, really.

Wed Mar 29 2017

Multiple options for trail length, fairly flat or with hills.

Sun Mar 19 2017

Didn't love this hike. We just sort of wandered through a bunch of fields.

Mon Mar 13 2017

Has more of the feel that you're meandering thru a series of fields, rather than hiking an actual trail. A different vibe than other middle Tennessee parks. Great for bird watching in winter. A small primitive campground about a mile in.

Sun Mar 05 2017

boring

Mon Feb 20 2017

Good spot for a quick run with a few good hills. Also pretty good terrain for younger trail runners still finding "their legs".

Sat Jul 30 2016

Peaceful trail. Easy to do, basically no elevation changes. Went on a hot Saturday afternoon and only saw one other person. It's pretty open, so not many shady spots. We were pretty roasted by the end. Overall an easy, quiet little trail.

Sat Mar 26 2016

Ran this during the winter and enjoyed it, but wouldn't want to run it in summer heat with no shade. The sections along the Cumberland River are pretty, and the tall grasses and shrubbery elsewhere gave the run a very different feel from heavily wooded trails in other local parks. Trails were well maintained, nice ranger station, only passed a couple of others out enjoying the day.