Beech Bottom Trail (Closed)

Beech Bottom Trail (Closed) is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Alaculsy, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

closed

Note: trail is closed due to storm damage. Beech Bottom Trail is used primarily as a day hike access trail to the Jacks River Falls. It is a wide, easy trail to follow with mild inclines and declines. It has several spots where you can see out over the Jacks River valley and is a highly recommended trail.

As of 9/2/18 the Beech Bottom trail is CLOSED due to storm damage. So if you do decide to make the trip be prepared to hike at your own risk, there are rangers in the area. That said, people are still hiking this trail so here is a little info on the storm damage. The main trail to the river is cleared but the river side trails are littered with major dead fall (full trees) but have work arounds forged by others it you look for them.

Fantastic trail, awesome waterfall for swimming! Though both times I have been here I have seen snakes hanging out in the crevices of the rocks by the waterfall, watch out for them.

one of my favorite day hikes. definitely a summer trail though. be prepared to get wet as there are many creek crossings.

Great hike! definitely one of my favorite waterfalls in GA, there should be trail markers to tell you where to go, I almost lost track of the trail twice. Still had a great time though! Only saw a couple the whole 5 hours I was there, it was amazing!

Had a little trouble finding the trailhead not enough signs. The hiking trail was great and Jacks River Falls was absolutely beautiful! Moderate hike describes it about right.

Just made the trip this weekend it was a beautiful trip nice weather lots of people on the trail waterfall was beautiful.

Troop 54 backpacked the Beech Bottom Trail to Jack River Falls. It was a nice hike down to the falls, the hike took about 2 1/2 hours.

We take this trail to reach Jack's River Falls. It is a great day hike that is good for dogs and/or older children. Hot and muggy with lots of mosquitos in the summer, but the falls and river at the end are very refreshing. We have hiked the Jack's River Trail as well. JRT is difficult because of the many river crossings, so most of the time we just do the Beech Bottom Trail. We have also backpacked the Beech Bottom Trail. Camping is prohibited until you reach Jack's River, then you either need to hike upstream or downstream of the falls before camping is allowed. For campsites upstream, once you reach Jack's River on the BBT (4.25 miles), ford the river in a southeast direction to pick up JRT that heads upstream parallel to Jack's River. There is an immediate campsite on hiker's left after crossing the river. The trail continues past this up a steep uphill, then downhill. About 0.5 miles after the initial river crossing, you will see a confluence of Jack's River and Rough Creek. Cross Rough Creek and there is a wonderful campsite on the peninsula. Plenty of water for filtering, places to sling a hammock, plenty of flat space for tents, and a fire ring with some rock seats. There is a lot of trash at this site, so take a garbage bag to take some out. We set up our camp here and then hike back to Jack's River Falls to spend the day. IMHO, this is probably one of the best overnighters for introducing someone to backpacking, or if you just want a relaxed backpacking trip. Our last trip was the day of the Equinox, which we viewed from Jack's River Falls, and we spent 3 days there and thoroughly enjoyed out time.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Nice trail for a day hike. To get to the falls, hang a right aprox. halfway through the loop when the trail forks at the river. Continue walking alongside the river for about 3/4 of a mile.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

Great hike and day at Jack's River Falls! Volunteered with the 12 Conasauga District Trail Volunteers to maintain the water bars and clear the trail of overgrowth and blow downs. We were able to make it all the way down the the river crossing below the falls. The rainy weather on the way out will add to the memories of the Cohutta's!! Anyone interested in volunteering on a USFS volunteer trail crew check us out on meet-up.com

Check out Cohutta Wilderness Trail Volunteers http://meetu.ps/c/2KLNS/wVCKL/a

Saturday, July 08, 2017

One of my family's favorite trails. It's around 7.5 miles round trip depending on if you take the trail loop around the bottoms or take the trail that cuts through them. The bottoms trails is a bit difficult to find if you're not familiar with it but it's super easy once you know where it's at, and either way if you don't find it, just follow the creek to the falls. My kids started hiking this when they were 4 so just about anyone can do it. It does have some slight up hill portions but they are fairly gradual and aren't too bad. You used to be able to camp at the falls but too many people not cleaning up their camp sites ruined that. Once you get to the river following it down river will take you back out to the main gravel road to the Iron Bridge and up river will take you back towards blue ridge and the Benton mackaye trails.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Nice trail. It is a longer trail but pretty easy. When you come to the point in the trail where the river is in front of you and you can only go right or left. Go right there will be a sign in a tree that says "no horses beyond this point" and some trees that are down. The falls are about half a mile down the river. Others have complained about the road up to trail but it's really not that bad, it's just long. It's a mountain road, not all roads will be paved. We even saw a little Ford Focus do it.

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

A great day hike to get to Jack's River Falls. It is full of shortcuts if you look for them.

Monday, June 05, 2017

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

The best day hike in Georgia

Monday, April 24, 2017

awesome weekend beautiful place highly recommended even in the rain. leaves a big impression.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

an amazing hike

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

I LOVE THIS TRAIL MY FAVORITE

Saturday, January 28, 2017

After unsuccessfully attempting the Jack's River Trail one cold January Friday, I found myself looking for more hiking in the Cohutta Wilderness area of the Chattahoochee National Forest. Driving around a bit on the old mountain roads, I came across the Beech Bottom Trail and decided to give it a go.

My dog and I began at the trailhead around 1:15 p.m. and made our way down the mountains to the river below in about two hours. On the way, we spotted what at first appeared to be a large bear rummaging in the grass and dirt beside the trail, but as it picked up its head and investigate us, it became apparent that it was an incredibly large boar. My dog barked at it as it fled through the woods down the trail. As we continued toward the falls, we made as much noise as possible to make sure we were left alone.

The trail had suffered several tree fallings recently, and some sections of the trail were very difficult to navigate because of this.

The elevation gains and losses were severe but spaced out far enough that only a few places were strenuous.

I enjoyed this trail greatly and wish we had more time to explore the abandoned campsites (camping at the river is prohibited) and falls. In total, I hiked just over 12 miles in roughly four hours with a few short water breaks.

I'd love to experience this trail again in the Spring when the leaves are lush and the forest is more alive.

Highly recommended trail, but give yourself more than four hours to truly enjoy it.

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Did an overnight from Beech Bottoms Trailhead to Jack's River Falls. Camping is prohibited in all the good places so that was a bummer.

Monday, December 26, 2016

easy and shortest route to falls, for worse. the road is nothing bad if you are a decently intelligent driver.

Monday, December 26, 2016

easiest way to the waterfalls. sadly.

Monday, December 19, 2016

As others have mentioned, the road to get there was rough. Seriously bumpy gravel. I'd recommend an awd car. Do-able in a small sedan, but definitely an adventure.
The hike itself was nice. Not too difficult. The falls were beautiful. We went on a fairly hot day, so we jumped in to cool off before lunch. Tons of fun.

Monday, October 17, 2016

great hike in. found the falls, did some camping. was great to get off the grid for the weekend.

Monday, August 29, 2016

Attempted this hike last week, however I never found the falls. I started late so didn't want to spend a lot of time searching to avoid hiking back when it was getting dark. I will try it again when I return to Georgia.

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

amazing, road to trail was a bitch but the falls and cliff jumping made it all worth it...and seen a mama and 2 small cubs perfect day

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

The roads to the trailheads were awful. Rocky and potholes galore. Signs and trail markers were just as bad. All that being said the trail and hike rocked. start at the top trailhead and work your way down. We saw 3 bear off the trail today. trails are fairly smooth at tops get a little Rocky near the river. Camping off the trail isn't an option due to how steep it is. definitely make camp near the basin area. bring shoes to get wet

Monday, May 16, 2016

Jacks River Falls\Beech Bottom Trail - Sun May 15, 2016 - Attempt #2
Nothing good can be said about this entry road. It’s a long trek to Beech Bottom Western Trailhead. There are two roads and they are both mostly gravel with many rough areas. The US Forestry Service really confuses things here. At the ‘Jacks River Western Trailhead’ they place a large sign stating Jacks River ‘Beech Bottom’. This IS NOT the short trail entry point and is NOT Beech Bottom Trail. Approx another 6 miles of terrible road leads to yet another EXACT US Forestry Sign that declares Jacks River Beech Bottom, again. This is the true trailhead to ‘Beech Bottom Trail’. My first attempt was halted about 3 miles in to the entry road after the western trailhead by a fallen tree across the road. I never made it to the trailhead on that attempt. My second attempt (and this writing) got me to the parking area and the ‘Beech Bottom Creek Trailhead’. The trail is great, at least until the bottom. Mostly wide and easy to follow. Elevation changes are easy. There is one section that has a detour that moves parallel to the original old trail. It appears that the original suffered a major debris occurrence and a by-pass was adapted. The by-pass rises a bit but the small creek feeder creek and old trail can be kept in sight. The trail by-pass rejoins the original trail after a very small creek crossing. The trail continues until approx. the 3.5 mile location when it finally descends to the bottom area and Beech Bottom Creek. (NOT JACKS RIVER). This is where our second attempt ended. The trail has no marking other than a small US Forestry sign stating no camping. We searched and finally located the trail approx. 60-80 feet across Beech Bottom Creek. We though remained uncertain as it seemed to be moving away from the sound of the falls. Pre-planning was too weak, yuck. We then ran into a fellow hiker. He mentioned this was his third attempt and he too had been confused by the trails in this area. Today he had gone further down the trail we had found but ultimately turned back has he too thought it was moving away from the sound of the falls (It was, but that’s the continuation of Beech Bottom Trail as we’ve now learned). He came back and worked his way down Beech Creek and off trail and ended up at the Falls but said he had to make several wet crossing. Not knowing just how far and how rough this was we abandoned our second attempt and headed back out. Now with fresh familiarity and review of the maps we figure we were within a half mile of the falls by going down Beech Creek until it hit Jacks River. The Beech Bottom Creek trail if followed does move away for a while but then intersects the Jack River trail and returns to the falls but that loop adds a mile to the hike but is probably worth it.
A note: This hike itself, at least as far as we got, is very easy. Not overly scenic as other trails that have water along them but very remote and quiet and the forest is full. The entry roads are horrible, I’d not do this with a car especially one with performance tires, though we did see a Mini Cooper make it all the way in. (We were in an SUV) Its extremely remote. Other reviews mention bears and snakes. I’ll take my pistol and maybe machete next time and should have had them this time. On a beautiful Sunday we saw approx. eight other hikers and it’s the most remote area I’ve hiked in Georgia. Cell service is lost very early on the entry road though we did pick it back up a couple of times but very briefly and very weak. I’m going to make one more attempt at Jacks River Falls but will wait for the temps to go up. When I get to the falls I want to enjoy the several pools I’ve seen from others pic’s.

Saturday, December 05, 2015

Horrid. The road in was beyond horrid. Forget this short easy hike if you want to see the waterfall and just take the long route. We had to turn around bc the road...which i use the word "road" very loosely...was washed out. We are in a brand new 4wheel drive truck. Good luck if you bring your Prius thinking you are going to get to a nice easy hike. I'm betting everyone else that has reviewed this hike road their Clydesdale in to the trail head. Disappointed is an understatement.

Saturday, September 19, 2015

Modest hike but the falls are beautiful. Take your fly pole and fish for Brookies sour of falls; but note that they are easily spooked.