Beech Bottom Trail

Beech Bottom Trail is a 7.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Alaculsy, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Note: Shorter road to trailhead is in terrible condition and washed out. Beech bottoms Trail is a short trail (approx. 4mi) that is used primarily as a day hike access trail to the Jacks River Falls. It is a wide, easy trail to follow with mild inclines and declines. It has several spots where you can see out over the Jacks River valley and is a highly recommended trail.

I LOVE THIS TRAIL MY FAVORITE

After unsuccessfully attempting the Jack's River Trail one cold January Friday, I found myself looking for more hiking in the Cohutta Wilderness area of the Chattahoochee National Forest. Driving around a bit on the old mountain roads, I came across the Beech Bottom Trail and decided to give it a go.

My dog and I began at the trailhead around 1:15 p.m. and made our way down the mountains to the river below in about two hours. On the way, we spotted what at first appeared to be a large bear rummaging in the grass and dirt beside the trail, but as it picked up its head and investigate us, it became apparent that it was an incredibly large boar. My dog barked at it as it fled through the woods down the trail. As we continued toward the falls, we made as much noise as possible to make sure we were left alone.

The trail had suffered several tree fallings recently, and some sections of the trail were very difficult to navigate because of this.

The elevation gains and losses were severe but spaced out far enough that only a few places were strenuous.

I enjoyed this trail greatly and wish we had more time to explore the abandoned campsites (camping at the river is prohibited) and falls. In total, I hiked just over 12 miles in roughly four hours with a few short water breaks.

I'd love to experience this trail again in the Spring when the leaves are lush and the forest is more alive.

Highly recommended trail, but give yourself more than four hours to truly enjoy it.

Did an overnight from Beech Bottoms Trailhead to Jack's River Falls. Camping is prohibited in all the good places so that was a bummer.

easy and shortest route to falls, for worse. the road is nothing bad if you are a decently intelligent driver.

easiest way to the waterfalls. sadly.

As others have mentioned, the road to get there was rough. Seriously bumpy gravel. I'd recommend an awd car. Do-able in a small sedan, but definitely an adventure.
The hike itself was nice. Not too difficult. The falls were beautiful. We went on a fairly hot day, so we jumped in to cool off before lunch. Tons of fun.

great hike in. found the falls, did some camping. was great to get off the grid for the weekend.

Attempted this hike last week, however I never found the falls. I started late so didn't want to spend a lot of time searching to avoid hiking back when it was getting dark. I will try it again when I return to Georgia.

amazing, road to trail was a bitch but the falls and cliff jumping made it all worth it...and seen a mama and 2 small cubs perfect day

The roads to the trailheads were awful. Rocky and potholes galore. Signs and trail markers were just as bad. All that being said the trail and hike rocked. start at the top trailhead and work your way down. We saw 3 bear off the trail today. trails are fairly smooth at tops get a little Rocky near the river. Camping off the trail isn't an option due to how steep it is. definitely make camp near the basin area. bring shoes to get wet

Jacks River Falls\Beech Bottom Trail - Sun May 15, 2016 - Attempt #2
Nothing good can be said about this entry road. It’s a long trek to Beech Bottom Western Trailhead. There are two roads and they are both mostly gravel with many rough areas. The US Forestry Service really confuses things here. At the ‘Jacks River Western Trailhead’ they place a large sign stating Jacks River ‘Beech Bottom’. This IS NOT the short trail entry point and is NOT Beech Bottom Trail. Approx another 6 miles of terrible road leads to yet another EXACT US Forestry Sign that declares Jacks River Beech Bottom, again. This is the true trailhead to ‘Beech Bottom Trail’. My first attempt was halted about 3 miles in to the entry road after the western trailhead by a fallen tree across the road. I never made it to the trailhead on that attempt. My second attempt (and this writing) got me to the parking area and the ‘Beech Bottom Creek Trailhead’. The trail is great, at least until the bottom. Mostly wide and easy to follow. Elevation changes are easy. There is one section that has a detour that moves parallel to the original old trail. It appears that the original suffered a major debris occurrence and a by-pass was adapted. The by-pass rises a bit but the small creek feeder creek and old trail can be kept in sight. The trail by-pass rejoins the original trail after a very small creek crossing. The trail continues until approx. the 3.5 mile location when it finally descends to the bottom area and Beech Bottom Creek. (NOT JACKS RIVER). This is where our second attempt ended. The trail has no marking other than a small US Forestry sign stating no camping. We searched and finally located the trail approx. 60-80 feet across Beech Bottom Creek. We though remained uncertain as it seemed to be moving away from the sound of the falls. Pre-planning was too weak, yuck. We then ran into a fellow hiker. He mentioned this was his third attempt and he too had been confused by the trails in this area. Today he had gone further down the trail we had found but ultimately turned back has he too thought it was moving away from the sound of the falls (It was, but that’s the continuation of Beech Bottom Trail as we’ve now learned). He came back and worked his way down Beech Creek and off trail and ended up at the Falls but said he had to make several wet crossing. Not knowing just how far and how rough this was we abandoned our second attempt and headed back out. Now with fresh familiarity and review of the maps we figure we were within a half mile of the falls by going down Beech Creek until it hit Jacks River. The Beech Bottom Creek trail if followed does move away for a while but then intersects the Jack River trail and returns to the falls but that loop adds a mile to the hike but is probably worth it.
A note: This hike itself, at least as far as we got, is very easy. Not overly scenic as other trails that have water along them but very remote and quiet and the forest is full. The entry roads are horrible, I’d not do this with a car especially one with performance tires, though we did see a Mini Cooper make it all the way in. (We were in an SUV) Its extremely remote. Other reviews mention bears and snakes. I’ll take my pistol and maybe machete next time and should have had them this time. On a beautiful Sunday we saw approx. eight other hikers and it’s the most remote area I’ve hiked in Georgia. Cell service is lost very early on the entry road though we did pick it back up a couple of times but very briefly and very weak. I’m going to make one more attempt at Jacks River Falls but will wait for the temps to go up. When I get to the falls I want to enjoy the several pools I’ve seen from others pic’s.