Bearwaller Gap Hiking Trail

Bearwaller Gap Hiking Trail is a 9.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Carthage, Tennessee that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Beautiful trail! Trail snakes in and out near the river. Some difficult terrain uphill and mud but fairly maintained. Beautiful wildflowers spotted. Trillium, Trout Lilies, and Falling Stars. Trail is hard to spot from the road. Must turn off onto Scenic Overlook and trail is nearby. Definitely a fun day hike.

Trail clearly marked with blue paint. Some spots leveled out while others were aggressive. Views are awesome. We hiked roughly 2 miles in from the Bearwaller gap trailhead (not overlook end). Wear proper gear. Some spots are not for your average nature walker. Don't underestimate the split of easy and difficult paths. Difficult route is for slightly more experienced hikers. Can't wait to come back!

Awesome trail. Gorgeous views! I would rate it as moderate, not hard, but it's still a challenging hike. Pretty lite traffic. We hiked it in early March on a perfect day for hiking; maybe saw 10-12 other hikers the entire way. Loved it!

BEAUTFUL views. My boyfriend and I love to go hiking and this one was one of our favorites. Lovely hilly area and the views were amazing. Don't under estimate it tho. Going down is fine but when you come back up it's a workout. I would love to come back again. Completely clean, trails well marked, bathrooms and just a beautiful view

Great trail. There are a lot of hills to walk up and down with scenic vistas along the Cumberland River. Hiked it in mid-February. You can park overnight at either trail head. One point of clarification, the 9.8 mileage listed in the profile is the mileage for an out and back hike. If you were to hike from one trail head to the other it is approximately 5 miles. I camped at the eastern trailhead near the river and had the entire park to myself. It looks like it would be very popular during the summers for car camping, but it is also a great spot if you want a quiet night in the off season. There are also plenty of flat enough areas for backcountry camping along the way. There is a decent supply of water throughout the trail if you need to replenish.

We did an overnight trip. The campsite is great and had a spring.

I loved this trail. We hiked it on Nov. 11, 2016. We dropped a car at Tater Knob Overlook and then drove a few short miles to the Defeated Creek Campground to start the trail, so we only did about 6 miles (the full trail, but not out and back). We saw 7 other hikers. It took us about 4 hours at a slow, leisurely pace (I had a baby 3 months ago). The biggest inclines seemed to be right off the bat through the stone garden to start and at the very end up to the overlook. There were lots of long flat sections. The trail is very narrow in places, but not a problem in the late fall/winter. It is also very wide in places, like an old service road. Since the leaves were off of the trees we had a view of the river for at least 85% of the trail, which was amazing. There is a GREAT overlook at about mile 2. The campsite is a nice stopping point for a snack and bathroom break at 2.5/3 miles in. There are awesome rock formations, interesting cave like holes, old stone walls and pillars from a former homestead, interesting plants (cactus-not expecting to see that) and enough ups and downs to feel like you're getting a good workout. There would be quite a few creek/water crossings, but we have had a really dry fall so they were all dry, as was the spring at the campsite. I can definitely see how the trail wouldn't be great when the trees/shrubs are in bloom though. The trail is quite overgrown, so I would stick to late fall-early Spring. The trail is market almost too well with blue spray paint blazes and some arrow placards and mile markers. I highly recommend the Timberloft Restaurant just off of I-40 in Carthage for your after hike meal. Happy hiking!

It was alright. took my kids some of the spots were hard for them.

It is overgrown to say the least which at first I thought was exciting and fun. It was also super neat to be so secluded and while on the trail I had a blast. After getting home from this trail was a different story. I had at least 20 deer ticks attached to me even though I wore pants. This is the type of tick that causes Lyme by the way and are about the size of a sesame seed. They are TINY and as someone with a bunch of freckles this was a pain. Then fast forward a day and all of sudden I can't stop itching. I thought I had a rash from something I must have touched. Investigated further and I had dozens and dozens of chigger bites. Spent an entire week itching like I had the chicken pox. So yes the trail was fun and to me not that hard but coming home from it left me with a bitter taste and I probably won't be going back anytime soon.

there's no loop so it's one long stretch and wow it was brutal. I go hiking quite often but honestly this was quite tough the hills are just up and down for most of the way. The place is absolutely gorgeous though on a beautiful campgrounds and I loved stopping at that Backwoods campsite that was pretty neat I would like to stay there sometime overnight. You will definitely have an amazing workout if you do the whole thing and back. would recommend this once in awhile but just plan better knowing it's going to take a while. It took me four and a half hours but I was walking fast.

Definitely a moderate hike, but pretty boring. The cobwebs in there are AWFUL! I understand it's the woods, but you're constantly walking through those things. The lake is pretty, but you can hear jet boats and cars for most of the trail. It was more of a walk through the woods than a hike.

Definitely overgrown. Looks like it hasn't gotten much use this year yet. I'm still pulling off ticks. Also ran into a rattlesnake within the first mile pretty close to the camp grounds. Periodically has amazing views though and isn't too easy which is nice.

Hiked this yesterday, 5/22/16, with my dog, Daryl, starting/ending at Defeated Creek. Gorgeous and intense trail! I usually don't hike with trekking poles, but I really wish I had brought mine for this trail! Oh well, definitely feeling the burn today :) Trail is clearly marked and there are lovely views of the lake along the way. My only complaint is that you can hear jet boats from the lake, but I would highly recommend this trail. Happy hiking!