Baskins Creek Trail and Baskins Creek Falls

Baskins Creek Trail and Baskins Creek Falls is a 6.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Gatlinburg, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 6.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,738 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The waterfall is picturesque and well worth the difficult scramble required to reach the base. The access road ( Roaring Fork Nature Trail) is closed Dec 1 -Mar 31. However, the ending trailhead is located close to the start of the motor nature trail. One creek crossing on this hike could be a little tricky in very wet weather.

walking through the burn areas shows how hot the fire of 2016 got. this a a pretty trail with a pretty falls. the trail is much more difficult than described. once you get in, you must get out. in summer bring water.

Really challenging trail! I think it depends on what time of year you go. The waterfall was more like a stream. The mountain views were absolutely beautiful. On your way down to the waterfall things seem relatively moderate. But the return hike is ALL uphill with moderately rocky terrain. It is a solid 6 mile hike. We did enjoy the challenge.

This trail kicked our butts! Online we read a rating on this trail as easy and 3 miles round trip. I kept telling my hubby that whoever rated this trail was nuts or we are just totally out of shape! Needless to say it was tough but it was well worth it! We met a fellow hiker that told us about this APP. We are Glad to have it....

Great hike with an old cemetary to start and a 30 foot waterfall to finish.

My wife and had a great experience. Moderate climb for sure. Witnessed bears and snakes so be in the lookout. Waterfall was very refreshing. Nothing to see on trail past the fall.

This trail is HARD! Not for young children or people who are hiking for the first time. The trip there is fine, mostly downhill. There is a STEEP rock scramble to the falls. The falls themselves are nothing to write home about. There are LOTS in the Smokies that are prettier and easier to get to. We hike about once every two weeks and the hike back (straight up for over a mile) kicked our asses even with frequent breaks. The forest is beautiful as always even with the burned area from the fire of ‘16.

nice trail the waterfall was awesome!

fun trail. saw a black snake. waterfall was worth it. some steep inclines but worth it

A moderate and beautiful trail that is about 2.5 miles to the waterfall one way. (The 2.5 miles back does provide more of a challenge with steep areas) I really enjoyed the old graveyard at the beginning of the trail and just some of the open elements, Moss, shady spots, and more as it went on. Highly recommend but due to some technical areas I wouldn’t bring children under 7 or so.

This trail is easy going out and much tougher coming back. The steep elevation on the way back had us stopping several times to take breaks. If you start at the trail head, going to the right at the fork isn't worth it that much. It's just a steep incline and then decline to a parking lot. We got to the peak of the incline and there's not view at that section. While we were at the falls only a few others showed up while we were there.

We took this trail from the trailhead near the Ogle place, to the waterfall and back. The burn areas were fascinating, and the new growth is lush. We got pretty winded on the return leg and would like to take it from the other end next time.

Elevation gain could be tough for some. Nobody else was at the falls while I was there. Saw wild turkeys off the trail.

We decided to hike this trail because I read about it in a list of trails that was good for kids. When I look for something good for kids, I assume we're talking about small children. The author of this article apparently thinks it means kids of any age. I'd say the minimum age for this trail is 6. It wasn't too bad of a trail but I ended up carrying out 4 year old the whole time, which was pretty brutal. The climb out away from the waterfall is long. Also, the waterfall is about 20', not 40' like I'd read.

Lightly trafficked. Beautiful view of the mountains. Beautiful waterfall. Climb back was a steep incline. Well worth the effort.

Nice hike. Definitely moderate to strenuous. Lots of people (we went on a Sunday) but the trail is great and if you continue past the waterfall on the main trail you will be pretty much alone. We saw a huge black bear right off the trail. Overall, a great hike. I’d do it again.

This was a wonderful hike! it starts off very steep and rocky and wears off a bit when you get to the beautiful views of the forest and mountains. The path to the 2nd fork is uneventful (still gorgeous though). At the 2nd fork, you can go right towards a deep family cementary into the woods or straight towards the waterfall. it's a pretty steep descent towards the waterfall, so you'll need to be careful. however, the waterfall is really beautiful! It's totally worth the route, and I will definitely return again! It's not a very wide trail throughout, so it can get a bit congested with multiple families. Overall, this was a very moderate trail with some strenuous parts and a beautiful waterfall at the end.

This review is relating to just the hike to and from the falls: Fairly easy hike down to the falls, until you have to head back up! Just a bit off of the trail head, you will enter an area that the wildfires had passed through a few years back. While the undergrowth is thriving, there is still lots of evidence of the fires. Pine seedlings are sprouting up all over, so this area should look drastically different in 10-15 years. This burned area continues for about a 1/4 if the trail. Once you start to descend down towards the falls you enter forest that has not been affected by the fires. The last bit of trail requires some careful footing as you work down some steep rocks, nothing too extreme, but could be tricky if wet. The two stage Baskins falls are beautiful. Pack a snack or lunch to enjoy down at the falls because you will need some energy heading back! The climb back has a steady incline. All in all a great hike with a wonderful waterfall that makes you pay on the return trip!

Hiked this trail on 7/09/19. The trail started off dense during the downhill portion heading toward the falls. We saw one bear during this time. The falls were beautiful and well worth the uphill trek back to the trailhead.

Hiked with 2 kids ages 5 and 7. It was pretty tough for them. The waterfall at the end it pretty cool. It was very muddy and the is very rocky