Base of the Falls

Base of the Falls is a 0.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Spencer, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 0.8 miles Elevation Gain: 288 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

The trail loops under itself as it travels under a large rock overhang and descends about 300 feet deep into the gorge carved out by the falls. There are many birds to view from above and below. Lots of beautiful scenery in a shorter hike. Well worth the effort!

Tough climb for sure; not for anyone who has endurance or injury issues. The view is awesome, not only the falls but the rock formations are amazing.

Pretty neat hike going down to the falls. Do it.

Great, well maintained trail to the base of the falls. Some rock scrambling near the end. Spray from the falls makes the rocks slick so just be careful. It was low volume when we went Oct. last year. It was pretty then so I can only imagine how awesome it would be when the water is at a higher volume.

The climb back up is strenuous but worth it.

I did this trail about a year ago and although a short hike, it is fun.

Pretty but very busy.

Straight down going in, and guess what that means coming out! UP. Rocky trail, but well-maintained. Falls at the base is worth the trip.

Not a lot of falls at the falls but I’ll be back later in the year and hope it’s running full blast.

W/Lindsay

Stunning waterfall!! The hike was easy to moderate with rugged terrain. The temperature at the bottom was cool and refreshing! We went on a Saturday and there were a lot of people. Overall great hike and will do it again!

I have wanted to do this hike for a while and today I got my wish! I agree with other posts, it's strenuous and you need to watch your footing and ideally wear supportive footwear. There were a LOT of people on the trail today and some sections we're slow going because of that. But it's totally worth it!

This trail was pretty difficult, very rocky. The falls were beautiful, though. It was worth it even though my son fell and hurt himself. The rocks were pretty slick in a lot of places. It had rained the night before and made the falls spectacular. I would also recommend going early. We went around 9:30 and the traffic on the trail was starting to pick up. Not many places to rest on the trail and the bottom got very crowded.

Beautiful hike! Good hiking boots are a must.

extremely rocky but well worth the hike. Its hard to take the beauty of this water fall from the top, so you must see it from the bottom as well!

Beautiful trail and beautiful falls. Don't wear flip flops. Boulder scrambling in several places, this is a fun route!

I hiked this trail on Sunday around 830am. When I got to the base of the falls, there was a couple and their dog who left shortly there after and I was left alone. I laid on a rock and looked up at the falls. It was so peaceful and beautiful. I hiked it again around 1230 with my mom and there were easily 20 or so people at the base and the trail itself was really crowded. Bottom line: go early! It was well worth it and if I didn’t have the experience, I may have rated it differently.

Whoooeeee. A Tennessee treat! Water is dang cold!!!!

Difficult rocks at the base! Wear appropriate shoes

Great short trail to base of falls. A bit of a steep hike back up but worth the effort.

hard going back up lots of rocks

Won't let me edit name but it's Bottom of Falls Creek Falls Trail.

I love this short trek to the base, lots of steps and rocks! Short distance but can be a bit challenging if you don't like a bit of a leg workout. Heavily trafficked and well maintained. A beautiful view of Fall Creek Falls awaits you. This angle of the falls makes it look far smaller than it is. Bring a rain coat if you don't like to get wet or cool off on a hot day. If you're feeling adventurous, along the way is a cut out in the rock that tunnels completely through. Happy hiking!

this trail was doable with the grandchildren 3-7yrs old with short rest breaks. that made it more awesome

Lots of stairs but the trail is well kept up and the view is great. Some virgin timber at the bottom.

Was a great trail, you’ll get sprayed with a bunch of mist. Saw a baby bat on the trail, and brought our dog Bullet on a leash. We saw 2 dozen people or so but all in all the trail was good. With all the flooding going on in TN right now, the Fall creek falls were flowing hard.