Base of the Falls is a 1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Spencer, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great hike and a great workout. Short and steep. The trail loops under itself as it travels under a large rock overhang and descends about 300 feet deep into the gorge carved out by the falls. There are many birds to view from above and below. Lots of beautiful scenery in a shorter hike. Well worth the effort!

Tough!

This was a great trail. The Falls were really pounding over the cliff because of the heavy rain last week, over 10 inches. Good shoes are a must, as it is muddy and rocks are slick. The power of the waterfall is awesome. Hike back up was difficult, but I'm old and out of shape. Well worth the effort. I did see my first Tennessee copperhead snake sliding across the trail. Only 2 ft. long but we gave him his space.

Steep and slippery but fun! Did it with 3 littles (6, 3, & 1). Kids loved getting all wet at the bottom!

Easy on the way down, a little steep on the way back up. Slippery in places, but there’s a rail most of the way. This trail can get extremely crowded on a summer weekend, but weekdays are usually peaceful.

This was a great hike. My daughter 18 and myself ( 40 in October lol ) completed 11.4 miles. We had lunch over looking the big falls Cane Creek. Beautiful view. Then we hiked to Fall Creek Falls waterfall. This was a great hike around the gorge with great views. The only reason I did not give this 5 stars is, people swimming in the waterfall. People are there to enjoy the sounds and the view, not look at grown mine in the falls. Other than that, we really enjoyed the hike.

Beautiful trail. Easy going down but tough coming back up!

Wasn’t prepared for this hike take water lot of sweating exertion and don’t go in without trail shoes or hiking boots! Cool Trail

This was a great little hike!!

Awesome hike, well worth the effort. Lots of steps and a decent climb out. The water level was low but we could still swim in the plunge pool at the base of the falls.

Excellent. Went at 9:30 AM and saw only a couple people. Very easy as long as you have good boots for the boulders near the base. Impossible to get lost. Nice swimming hole. Falls were not heavy so no spray.

Going down is one of the easiest trails I’ve ever hiked, coming out is one of the most difficult. Nice swimming area and hand rails most of the way down.
Completion Time- 23 minutes

Great view at the end of the trail. It is steep, wear good, sturdy shoes. We took our 40lb dog and she had no trouble going over the rocks.

I have hiked this trail many times and I love it. The trail is mostly comprised of steps that are cut out of the ground and there are hand rails. I don't like the steps and I always walk beside the steps to avoid constantly stepping down which can cause you to roll your ankles. At about the half way mark, there is a cut out in rock that really cold air passes through. It's a great place to stop for a break especially in the hotter months. Unfortunately, a large rock slide blocks the trail before you can get all the way to the bottom. However, I've seen a lot of elderly people climb the pile. It seems like the rock slide gets bigger each year. I suggest that you wear a good pair of boots. If you don't have boots, you need to have some kind of ankle support like high top tennis shoes or wrap your ankles with sports tape. If hiking in the summer, wear light breathable clothing. During the colder months, wear layers in case you need to take off some of the clothing nearer to the bottom. It can get very hot once you are out of the cover of the trees. Carry enough water for each person. You will need the same amount you'd carry if walking two miles in the heat. Consider the extra stress and heat associated with climbing up the trail. I forgot my inhaler on a hike last May. On my way up, I realized I had not planned for it to be 98 degrees and I didn't have the right amount of water. I had an asthma attack on the way up. Thankfully, we ran into another hiker who had one. I say all of this to make sure you know to BE PREPARED.
BUT, once you're at the bottom, you'll find it is worth your time. The water fall is breathtakingly beautiful. I love standing under it. You can take a dip in the pool below the falls. If you are not unaccustomed to hiking or physical activity, take your time. I would recommend this trail. It's always a lot of fun.

excellent short hike. beautiful snow and ice formations at all the falls last week.

My son and I have went to the bottom several times and I have to say it never gets old. He loves swimming and standing under the falls.

Steep trail. Great workout!

Don't be fooled, this is an intense steep hike. Be prepared.

This trail starts in the parking lot that overlooks the main falls of the park. The trail starts off to the left and is basically a large staircase made of stone that brings you to the base of the falls.

This trail is exceptionally busy and you will pass many people while walking to the bottom. Most move at a slow pace due to children or dogs. For those looking to bring children or dogs maybe think twice if you want to actually go near the waterfall. The last tenth of a mile is completely soaked with water and the mist in the air makes the rocks slick and very slippery. It is possible to go all the way to the water's edge of the waterfall but the wind and extreme water splashing make it uncomfortable to stand there for long. Keep in mind if you do choose to get close you will be absolutely drenched within a second.

The trail outside of the final rocky part, which is not really a part of the trail, is very easy and short. The entire hike minus viewing time is maybe 25 minutes.

Watch your ankles. Great workout, gorgeous view. I will have to come back alone and hope for fewer people.

I enjoyed hiking this trail to the base of the Falls with a friend of mine and his son. My son and I had come here earlier and hiked the Woodland trail from the Nature Center to the Falls Overlook, but had not continued on down, because it was getting dark, and we still needed to make Memphis that evening.

Please note, this is as difficult as advertised, but worth the effort!

Sunday, November 12, 2017

One of my favorites at the park, I recommend starting with this short hike. It’s not easy but well worth doing.

Tuesday, November 07, 2017

Workout!!!!

Wednesday, November 01, 2017

Beautiful short slippery trail, especially on a misty day like today. The falls were light on water but gorgeous nonetheless. The view made us work for it in the way back up to the parking lot but I’m so glad it did.

Saturday, October 28, 2017

We arrived here after a long hike and considered not making the descent. What a mistake that would have been! This short hike greatly rewards the traveler. Standing in the gorge looking up at the falls is amazing. The views of the cliffs let us enjoy Nature at some of its best. Not to be missed.