Learn more

Barfield Wilderness Trail Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(369)
Barfield Crescent Park

Barfield Wilderness Trail Loop is a 4.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Murfreesboro, Tennessee that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.4 miles Elevation Gain: 406 feet Route Type: Loop

This is the master loop, covering all of the major areas of the Barfield Crescent Wilderness. When taking the loop in a counterclockwise direction, the trail starts off with a paved path, then becomes a traditional trail as the route turns back/down toward the creek. From here, the path has several forks that take you to the southern tip of the park, then around two perimeter trails before returning along the eastern side of the main loop. Along the way, you’ll walk around/over lots of limestone barrows. There are quite a few sizable limestone sinks, as well. Two areas have dozens of large sinks coverings several acres. Overall, the trail is pretty clear and well maintained. Some nettles, grass and tick-favored wildflowers overlap the trail in thinner areas. Other than that, it’s clear and easy to navigate (if you know which turns to take).

Fun and beautiful trail to hike! There are several different trails you can take that branch off of a main trail and they were all marked fairly well and easy to follow. There are small benches along the paths, signs for different trail ways, and I saw only four people throughout my entire hike, three of them at the very end of it so it was very peaceful. (Hiked on a Tuesday afternoon 3pm-5:30pm)

I love this trail it’s nice but I will jot a few things. For one the sign says rocky loop trail 1.50..... I think that is JUST for the loop part because from start to finish I hiked 2.63 miles. Which isn’t terrible just it is more then expected and then you’re like when does it end lol and am I lost?! Second if you have small dogs like me there are a few parts on the trail (3) where you will most likely have to lift them from rock to rock because there is about a 4ft drop between them. My dogs were not having that so I had to get in between there and lift them to the other rock. Overall great trail

awesome trail, lots of wildlife and scenery and a Backcountry campground. (permit needed for camping) awesome stream to swim at too.

I was pleasantly surprised by this trail. Honestly, my expectations were low because it's in the middle of Murfreesboro, but the trail feels secluded and offers scenic forest and creek views. If you hike the combination of the red, white, and blue trails, you'll hike about 4.5 miles. As others have mentioned, the trail is hard to follow. The trails are well maintained, but not marked well, and so it can be difficult to know which trail you're on. I downloaded the map AllTrails provided and that was helpful and accurate. Part of the trail is paved, but most of it isn't, if you hike the full 4.5 miles. Overall, it's a nice destination for a hike over relatively mild terrain.

Got lost don’t know how ran into two more people lost poor markings. Finally made it out after 6 miles.

A beautiful place to visit! Some paved path action, which makes for good accessibility. Lots of trails for dirt bikes and the feeling of being deep in the woods. The rocky trail of shoot is really beautiful! Saw lots of critters. Muddy after weeks of rain.

My favorite trail in Murfreesboro. Measures exactly 8.1k (5miles) if combining the longest loops. Stays muddy for 2-3 days in certain spots after hard rain. Only a handfull of spots are too rocky to run. GREAT WORKOUT!!!

Muddy and slick in some spots but beautiful.

Solid walk. Able to make it longer by doing a loop or two

Beautiful trail to hike with many options for beginners to advanced. Definitely bring snacks and drinks for a halfway break by the creek.

Fun trail for some cardio!

This trail is truly special. The moss and the rocks are unique. It is definitely one of the best I’ve seen in Tennessee.

Incredible trail! Start at the Wilderness Center. And don’t miss out on the inside of the center...they have rescued and rehabilitated animals to see up close! Very adorable center with lovely people working in it. The trail reminded me of the Labryinth, so that made my inner child feel really seen hehe. River, Rocky, Dirt Trails and Old Land...We will come back to complete the valley view trail. My dog and I love this trail!

Great trail for beginner hikers who want to push themselves. The rocky area is a challenge, more so in navigating it. I recommend starting the trail so you hit the rocky part first, it begins behind the Nature Center, the app’s route is quite accurate.

One of my favorite trails in the area, I don’t even mind the mud today , it’s the perfect hike for those slightly above beginner level but not quite at an intermediate stage. There are some rocks and steepness but there are also paved areas and straight paths.

I've ran the entire thing except for the paved area and the red trail a few times. Big sections of the trail are smooth rock which makes it impossible to maintain a fast speed without slipping and busting your behind if you're wearing cleated trail runners and it's muddy. Also after a good rain sections of the trail will flood. Plenty of roots, rocks, and crevices to run around or over makes it fun, but the sections of trail that is just solid rock make it less fun to run for trail runners, because like I said it's hard to maintain your speed when it's muddy.

Nice city trail but muddy and the rocks can be slick when damp. Very diverse area with some cool features and animals at the nature center

This hike is made up of several smaller trails. Part of it is paved, making it very easy and other parts are very rocky with hills, making it moderate. The city of Murfreesboro, TN owns and runs this park, which has very nice facilities. We went on a Sunday morning (12/1/19) and parked by the Wilderness Station. It was closed (as well as the restroom) until noon. We found a nice restroom building at the playground, just 10 minutes walk, that was open. There are benches and even trash cans along the hike and one lookout deck, which was our picnic spot for the day.

Nice hike through the woods if your just looking for away to get in a few miles of training. Lot of rocks and up and down hills!

Great hiking trail! Beautiful area with plenty of shade. Very rocky in places. Me and my kids went and deep into the trail we only ran into one other person. There were some bikers, but they have their own trails. I’ve played disc golf here at Barfield, and it’s an awesome course, but this was the first time to hike the trail. Very cool