Bald River Trail

Bald River Trail is a 8.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tellico Plains, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Tellico Plains: Travel east on State Hwy. 165 for approximately 9 miles and turn left onto FDR 345. Proceed for 1.5 miles and turn right onto FDR 35-1 and continue for 1 mile. Turn left onto Double Camp Road and the trailhead will be approximately 3 miles down the road on the left.

For me it was a test, this was the first walk of the season with weight. All that was needed for the loop was a couple of liters of water or less with a filter, you are right next to the river most of the walk. If you have a hammock or light chair bring it, some very nice places to relax next to the river. There are a few narrow section with drops but nothing extreme. I suggest leashing unruly children in the narrower sections.
Great day, clean camp/break areas, beautiful fast flowing clean water river.

Great hike, but some REALLY steep drop offs near the beginning, so mind the little ones or the clumsy ones. It'd be nice if there was a way to expand those sections, because erosion and hikers slipping are going to eventually close the trail, I'd wager.

7.22.17

We've been to Bald River Falls many times over the years, but this was the first time we ever hiked the trail. We really enjoyed it overall, however for me, the beginning was the hardest part. There were several switchbacks right off the get go that were pretty scary for me. But just go slow and be careful as you're literally on the side of the mountain for about the first 3/4 mile up the trail. It is challenging in some areas, but that made it fun for us.

Then it started to level off a bit, and it was enjoyable. We passed a really nice camping area, and it was absolutely beautiful. There were many places to stop and swim, which we did a few times. Had a picnic on a nice flat rock right in front of the river.

We passed a few a few campers along the way, and only one other hiker. Since this was our first real hiking experience, we only went a little over 3 miles in, then we turned around and headed back. Definitely want to return to hike the entire trail from start to finish. Bald River still is one of the prettiest and most amazing waterfalls that I've seen.

Beautiful hike. Waterfall was amazing.

**Park toilet facility is up the road past the main falls parking area, on the left hand side of road**
This was my first time hiking in the Cherokee National Forest/Tellico Plains area, and I was not disappointed! Beautiful trail with lots of water falls/cascades to see. I will absolutely be making more trips to this area to hike more trails.
A group of us did this trail one way/shuttle hike from the trail head off Bald River Road, on the south end of this trail. WARNING: Bald River Road/Forest Rd 126 is VERY narrow, with sharp/steep drop-offs, and no where to "pull over" if another car is wanting to come down from the other direction. We were very lucky that we were the only ones headed that direction. The southern end of the trail is not far from Holly Flats campground.
I would recommend starting at the main falls parking area, and hiking the trail as an out and back trail (11.2 miles total). If you are not wishing to do that many miles, going as far as you want, then heading back, will still give you a very nice hike.
I would rate it as a moderately gentle climb, with a few steeper parts to navigate.
If you are a primitive back-country camper...you will be in heaven. There were about 6 or 7 sites that we passed all along the trail. Nice and clean, fire pits available, and plenty of flat spots to tent, and trees close together for hammock options. And having all of them be very close to water (if not right on the river bank), you will never be dehydrated.
Three from our group saw 2 hogs and a Black snake. And the whole group saw, and carefully navigated around, a juvenile Copperhead.
There are sections of the trail that are narrow, with steep drop-offs, so be mindful of your footing.
The trail is not marked, on either end. I was told that the Cherohala Skyway Visitors Center off Hwy 165/Cherohala Skyway would have maps available for purchase of the Cherokee National Forest. The center was closed by the time I was driving back home, so I wasn't able to pick one up. But word on the street is that most, if not all, of the trails that are in the forest are not well marked, so a map would be highly recommended to have on hand.

Great trail for families but be aware that there some narrow places with large drops. Water falls were lovely! We all really enjoyed.

Great easy hike. Highly recommend.

this trail is simply wonderful for the beginner back packer. the only hard about about it is a couple switch backs you get out of the way after about a mile in the trail. after that it's pretty flat and offers so many views and amazing off trails. the camp sites were clean, and had more than enough fire wood to keep us warm for 9 hours or so. I give it 5 stars because it isn't hard, it's beautiful, low traffic down the trail and if you back pack finding water or the perfect camp site is super easy. highly recommend

moderate hike, beautiful waterfall and river!

Love this trail no matter what season you go. We hiked from falls to the end and back to falls yesterday and "all trails" logged us at 10.2 miles.