Appalachian Trail to Charlies Bunion

Appalachian Trail to Charlies Bunion is a 8.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Gatlinburg, Tennessee that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

2086 feet

old growth

Nice hike along the summit of the Smokies, with views of Charles Bunion. The trail starts off with a gradual ascent of about 300 feet in the first mile. For the most part, the trail is tree covered, but there are a few views on the way to the Ice Water Spring-AT shelter. The shelter is one of the nicer structures along the AT in North Carolina. It sleeps 12, but a permit and reservation are required through the Park Service. Some of the comments in the AT logbook note that Elk have been seen in this area. The trail continues onto a side trail about a mile north of the shelter. This trail is well marked and goes left to Charles Bunion. This is a large rock out cropping created years ago by a fire, rain and subsequent landslide.

Awesome views. Great day hike.

Perfect weather today for a great hike. We stopped to see the shelter, grabbed some more water from the pipe, and continued up. Almost an amazing 360 view from the bunion. We stopped at the jump off on the way back and we were glad we did.

Great view at the bunion. I also did the drop off which only adds .6 miles total. Moderate difficulty but it's lengthy and well maintained. I did everything in under 3 hours.

Good payoff...fun visiting with the thru hikers!!!

One of my favorites. Great view

Trail's not too difficult, as long as you're in good shape. Lovely flowers and great views leading to the Bunion, but the Bunion is truly the main attraction. There's not much else I can say that others haven't, but truly some of the best, most expansive views in the park

Amazing views throughout this peaceful hike. We arrived at Newfound Gap around 3pm and made it to Charlie's Bunion around 5:30pm. I'd say the section of this hike takes about 4.5-5 hours. Definitely worth it! We saw most tourists and hikers at the beginning of the trail, but few people stayed on the AT besides thru hikers. Lots of wildlife and birdsong, plenty of lush forest at every turn. So far it's my favorite trail in this part of the country.